Bargain of the trade period 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Pity about his sydnesmosis (or however the fu** you spell it), but getting Treloar for a late 2nd rounder and having Collingwood pay a third of his salary is an absolute bargain of the highest order
If you add the points value of each pick in this trade (WB 2nd round pick being pick 36 on ladder position), the Bulldogs have only lost 24 points, which is the equivalent of pick 72.

Adam Treloar for pick 72. Considering what Collingwood traded for him in 2015, its one of the greatest trades of all time.

Peter Wright for a pick that more than likely won’t be used (future fourth) and Gold Coast paying a bit of his rumoured $500,000 salary too.

Nick Hind takes the cake though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone the Pies pushed out the door were bargains, cost little in trade capital and some came with extended salary payment offsets, can't get better than that.

But I do like the OP, Williams hahahaha, can't even do what he was recruited to do AND he's straining Cartons salary cap, that's if they have one?

Yep. Phillips is solid but not great. Gives 100% every time. And is 25.

Cost us pick 65 which Im not sure the Pies even used. And they pay half his salary for a couple of years.

If he wins flags, all power to him and the Bulldogs. 5x600k committed to a player who has now been massively interrupted by injury for the third season in four is a gamble by the Bulldogs and there's a long way to go. He's probably in his last 40 games of footy.
Very salty comment. His injury was impact related and had zero relation to soft tissue. Saying that he's got less than 40 games less is ridiculous. Bookmark it all you want.

Very salty comment. His injury was impact related and had zero relation to soft tissue. Saying that he's got less than 40 games less is ridiculous. Bookmark it all you want.

Think it’s a reasonable opinion. Reckon he will have success at the Dogs, but only play sporadically and have to be carefully managed.

Been doing a lot of heavy lifting from a young age at GWS and played a high intensity running game at the Pies. His recent injury history is pretty extensive.

If Stephenson stayed at Collingwood I don’t think he’d be playing anywhere near the standard he has at the Kangaroos.

Being traded was the kick he needed after coasting for a couple of seasons, but really the Pies should have kept him and trialled him through the midfield as North have. Looks far better in general play than floating around a flank.

Think it’s a reasonable opinion. Reckon he will have success at the Dogs, but only play sporadically and have to be carefully managed.

Been doing a lot of heavy lifting from a young age at GWS and played a high intensity running game at the Pies. His recent injury history is pretty extensive.
Very presumptuous to assume he won't play more than 40 games over a 5 year contract. If he experiences soft tissue injuries at the Dogs then I'm happy to rescind my comment but with the Dogs, he plays a role that doesn't require heavy lifting in the midfield compared to his stint at Collingwood. He's also lost 8kg (I believe it was that, could be off by a couple) over the off season with the intention of lessening that load on his hamstrings, so I am confident that he will be a consistent contributor over that period. 40 games is just over a third of his contract. I'd be confident of him playing 75 plus.

Hind obviously is well known, but one that won't get brought up much is Peter Wright. Cost us a future fourth rounder and he has already won us a couple of games.

Great call. Never going to be a superstar, but a bloke who is competent as both a ruck and a key forward is huge boost to a side. Gives you so many more options at selection and means blokes don’t have to play out of position and you don’t have to throw anybody to the wolves in the ruck. Huge knock-on effect. Was a great pickup for a fourth rounder.

Great call. Never going to be a superstar, but a bloke who is competent as both a ruck and a key forward is huge boost to a side. Gives you so many more options at selection and means blokes don’t have to play out of position and you don’t have to throw anybody to the wolves in the ruck. Huge knock-on effect. Was a great pickup for a fourth rounder.

Been good for a fourth rounder but he averages six hit outs and a goal a game this year. He's OK, no more.

He’s one of the most injury prone players running around and isn’t getting younger.
Missed one game over the 2016-17 stretch. Hamstring injuries impacted his 2018 season, although still managed 17/25 games. Played every game of 2019. Obvious 2020 he had a wretched run but losing that amount of weight and playing a less demanding role will hold him in good stead.

I'm happy to bookmark it and revisit in five years. But I'm supremely confident his soft tissue injuries will be minimal over the stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's one of the Collingwood discards.

Stephenson (plus Atu who might be a player) at 21 years old for pick 26 and 70 and a swap of 33 to 39 is silliness. Without a list management implosion that doesn't happen. He's not a Scrimshaw or Caldwell etc. that leaves GC/GWS as a high pick that didn't have many runs on the board, he won the Rising Star.

Hickey the biggest surprise packet. He's 30 years old and had played 102 games prior to this season. Never really established himself as a #1 at Gold Coast, St Kilda or WC. He's played 3/4 of a season at the Swans and has been a top 5 ruck in the comp this year. No one saw that coming.

GWS getting Colingwoods 1st round pick will be the biggest bargain. With Pendles out its likely to be a top 2 pick now.

Carlton signings:

Caleb Marchbank.. traded for picks 35, 58
Jarrod Pickett....... ditto ^^^
Billie Smedts....... swapped Tuohy for Smedts + pick 17
Rhys Palmer........ traded for pick 135
Alex Silavagni...... rookie listed

Matthew Kennedy.. trade for pick 28
Darcy Lang.......... trade for pick 58
Matthew Lobbe..... trade for pick 95
Jarrod Garlett....... draft pick 78
Cameron O'Shea... pre-season draft
Matt Shaw............ rookie listed

Mitch McGovern... trade for pick 13 (approx)
Nick Newman...... trade for pick 57
Will Setterfield..... trade for picks 19, 43
Alex Fasolo.......... free agent
Hugh Goddard...... rookie listed
Tomas Bugg......... rookie listed
Josh Deluca......... mid-season draft

Jack Martin......... pre-season draft
Eddie Betts......... trade for pick 62
Marc Pittonet...... trade for pick 54
Jack Newnes....... free agent
Callum Moore...... pre-season supplemental

Zac Williams....... free agent
Adam Saad......... trade for pick 8 (approx)
Lachie Fogarty..... trade for pick 30 (approx)
Oscar McDonald.. pre-season supplemental

2019: 16th.... 7 wins, 15 losses
2020: 11th.... 7 wins, 10 losses
2021: 13th... 7 wins, 11 losses

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back