Injury Barlow Out Now... Great

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast beat us for number of clearances the other night despite Sandi's tapping work but we still won comfortably. I suggest it's the structures that are more important to Fremantle and someone else said that he used to tip against St Kilda when their midfielders went down and always got it wrong as the players that came in were so well drilled it didn't matter to that team under Lyon.

Fremantle are the same. We had so many outs last year for lengthy periods and we still made the grand final.

I haven't figured out what to call the moments where a ball is contested and that quality player rises above his competition to win it, not just a contested ball get, winning the ball when he had no right to and wrestling momentum back.

Barlow does that. Fyfe does that. Mundy does that. Pavlich did that in the qualifying final, he had no place putting on that flying spoil in the backline but that simple effort, the little moment turns the game.

The game is full of simple little efforts that for luck or skill move the ball towards a score, the less top line players we have out there reduce the amount of these we will win and there are less and less of them available against the top sides.

Barlow out is huge.

Well drilled is one thing - but it's not pure 'plug and play' ... Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow would have a clear understanding of how each other works - where to move, when, different setups. The players who don't spend much time in the midfield won't have that - so sure, structurally around the rest of the ground we'll be fine, but at stoppages it won't be as fluid as we expect

I haven't figured out what to call the moments where a ball is contested and that quality player rises above his competition to win it, not just a contested ball get, winning the ball when he had no right to and wrestling momentum back.

Barlow does that. Fyfe does that. Mundy does that. Pavlich did that in the qualifying final, he had no place putting on that flying spoil in the backline but that simple effort, the little moment turns the game.

The game is full of simple little efforts that for luck or skill move the ball towards a score, the less top line players we have out there reduce the amount of these we will win and there are less and less of them available against the top sides.

Barlow out is huge.
Aren't they called one percenters?

I just wish it wasn't the toughest 5 rounds of our season Gil :( look at the eagles, a good start really makes a difference.

However I am hoping we will unearth a champ from someone on the fringe that will get a chance

About the Eagles...We'd be looking invincible too, if we started the season against the Dogs and Demons. The Dogs are still developing and the Demons -- bad as they are -- handed the Eagles the game on a silver platter from the get-go. Know what we often forget? There's only ONE -- count 'em, ONE -- AFL team that in the last year has proven itself better than Freo. The boys should have the audacity to EXPECT -- not hope -- to win 4 of the first 5 games, if not all 5.

Well drilled is one thing - but it's not pure 'plug and play' ... Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow would have a clear understanding of how each other works - where to move, when, different setups. The players who don't spend much time in the midfield won't have that - so sure, structurally around the rest of the ground we'll be fine, but at stoppages it won't be as fluid as we expect

Neale will have a blinder IMO.

So umm did the GC player who caused the Barlow injury get suspended?
The player chose to bump, missed Barlow and cut across leg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So umm did the GC player who caused the Barlow injury get suspended?
The player chose to bump, missed Barlow and cut across leg.
He tried to smother the ball, not bump Barlow, nothing to see here play on.. was just unlucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back