News Barlow to be delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez, I thought I had it bad.
My first trickers were a tween dressed up with a black wig, over applied makeup, hardly any clothes on and her mothers CFM boots on.

She had her older brother with her and I assumed she was trying to be Elvira(Elvira's dress had bits that went past her knees Though).

As she wobbled away obviously her first time in heels. I thought OMG there is a bloody good chance her mother was wearing those old boots when she was conceived.

Really hope Barlow does go to Gold Coast. He'd be a fantastic leader for them (Ablett not so much) and could see him going beast mode and proving how good he is when played on the inside. Could also further strengthen Freo's trade relationship with them as well which has been strong the past two off seasons. Kind of hoping that if we don't pick up SPS that they do (rather than Carlton). English too for that matter. Barlow in amongst a bunch of young West Aussies (Swallow, Martin, Matera, Ah Chee, Schoenfield, SPS, English...) over there would make it hard for them not to become my second team.

Really hope Barlow does go to Gold Coast. He'd be a fantastic leader for them (Ablett not so much) and could see him going beast mode and proving how good he is when played on the inside. Could also further strengthen Freo's trade relationship with them as well which has been strong the past two off seasons. Kind of hoping that if we don't pick up SPS that they do (rather than Carlton). English too for that matter. Barlow in amongst a bunch of young West Aussies (Swallow, Martin, Matera, Ah Chee, Schoenfield, SPS, English...) over there would make it hard for them not to become my second team.

If they pickup Barlow they will definitely have my respect. He suits their needs, they couldn't get a better leader & club man.

Barlow at the WACA. If he watches the Big Bash live he says he'll be watching the strikers.
Yeah I saw him as well. He was wearing a member (rather than guest) pass suggesting that a) His delisting and possible move east will cost him the coveted elevation to an orange lanyard or b) he was using someone elses pass, which, if I understand the WACA members booklet correctly, the punishment for doing so is catapult.

Last edited:
thats the word we are getting confidentially inside the club they are courting him, flying him up and making a spot for him by delisting a contracted player
I really hope so. You should get 2 good years out of him.

Barlow, Hall, Martin and the Lynch/2M Peter combo. Lots of reasons to watch GC now. Will be interesting if you guys ever get a decent injury-free run.

A few questions from the Adelaide Board ... where is Barlow at as a player? Is he well past being an integral part of a midfield? How is his movement / defensive action? Are his injuries starting to play a big part in his performance? What are his strengths and weaknesses probably going to be in 2017? You guys and gals know him as a player, and from what I have read on here - love his attitude and effort - but as an addition to a team like Adelaide - where do you see the pros and cons?

Apparently we are into Barlow in a big way, and our board is totally confused by what MB could bring compared to playing one of our younger up and coming players. If you wanted to add to our discussion here:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/michael-barlow.1150570/

... any opinions from the Freo supporters would be most welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to play him as an inside mid that can push forward FROM the midfield and kick a goal, not the other way round.

He has lost some speed but not a lot.
Great hands. Defensively he's fine, tackles hard.
Kicking can be a mixed bag, but is somewhat compensated by the fact he ALWAYS chooses the right option.

Unknown on the injuries. He hurt his shoulder and didn't play again for the year
You'll love him

I think the Barlow decision has got to do with integrity of selection. The players feedback was the team lost integrity in selection, players picked on potential form instead of form. Skills over effort, when the mantra had been effort is everything.

The problem with that, is the less skilled match hardened beasts like DeBoer, Mzungu, Suban on principle, should have been selected ahead of the weaker more talented Langdon, Weller, Blakeley etc. Barlow over Blakeley is a key example.

To keep integrity in match selection, you have to cut the players who don't fit into the underlying theme of foot skills and/or pace/endurance. You can't tell players your picking them on talent, they must see that effort equals reward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that two callers to 882 6PR on Saturday morning claimed to have seen Micky Barlow "training the house down" at Tompkins Park this week, apparently ahead of a medical and fitness test with Adelaide.

I think the Barlow decision has got to do with integrity of selection. The players feedback was the team lost integrity in selection, players picked on potential form instead of form. Skills over effort, when the mantra had been effort is everything.

The problem with that, is the less skilled match hardened beasts like DeBoer, Mzungu, Suban on principle, should have been selected ahead of the weaker more talented Langdon, Weller, Blakeley etc. Barlow over Blakeley is a key example.

To keep integrity in match selection, you have to cut the players who don't fit into the underlying theme of foot skills and/or pace/endurance. You can't tell players your picking them on talent, they must see that effort equals reward.

Effort can't be the only factor in selection.

If only we could have traded Micky Barlow for Jarrod Garlett during trade week. That would have been a win-win, however Garlett now has to sit out of football for 2 years as a result of leaving his request too long.
Yes we really must educate WA-based draftees not to sign extensions so quickly :) Cam first, now Jarrod. Seems a bit ridiculous forcing out for 2 years, one seems more fair.

If only we could have traded Micky Barlow for Jarrod Garlett during trade week. That would have been a win-win, however Garlett now has to sit out of football for 2 years as a result of leaving his request too long.
Barlow would've been lucky to nett a Marley Williams ballpark pick ie. a gesture of goodwill to keep him on a list. Not sure how that would've ever been within the realms of possibility.

Hope adelaide get him but be happy if he gets a home anywhere . Would be really good for gold coast with there youngsters but woukd prefer him pushing fir a premiership with adelaide

Gold Coast seems like a massive waste of his talent. That club is where careers go to die.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back