Universal Love Barra Leads Freo to the Win over WB

Remove this Banner Ad

- Hughes’ best game for the club.
- Nyhuis was outstanding.
- Hamling didn’t lose a contest and the backline looks well settled.
- Matera showing what he can do playing as a permanent small forward. Got a fair few cheapies out the back but that’s his role.
- Barra outstanding and was a typical Mundy game.
- AB did some nice work in the contests.
- WTF has happened to Cerra? He’s been caught a lot this season and some of his kicking off his left boot has been poor.
- Switta’s pressure
- Ed’s kicking was appalling
- Wilson’s best game of the season so far
- Hogan and Tabs need more goal kicking practice
- Blakely needs to come in to win some more clearances.

I dont think it was that bad. Skills on a whole were ok with some terrific passages of play but there were some shockers splattered through the game.

Dogs turned up after a poor few weeks and we really got belted in the middle. We need a fit Blakely going through there desperately.

Positives
- Every single backline player was nothing short of sensational, even Wilson got back to his prior year form. Nyhuis and Hamling in particular were something else. Naughton got brought down to Earth pretty hard.
- Mundy is an all-time great, has an incredible ability to step up when needed.
- Matera has found the perfect role. His pressure is ok at best for a small forward but we have Switta to make up for that. I would honestly say on Betts has better goal sense in the league at the moment, cant think of anyone else.
- Were challenged on several occasions and we stepped up every time, this is really important for the future. Building some belief around the place
- With Carter playing really well in the Ressies, we have some incredible depth in the non-KPP defender department. Logue, Nyhuis, Carter and Duman fighting out for one spot.

Negatives
- Craberner and Dardy were back. Backing McThorthy and Graberner to make a return next week (hopefully)
- Hogan well off after last week as well (thank God for Matera)
- Midfield was destroyed, need Blakely
- Cerra has one of his worst disposals game of maybe all time, couldnt hit a target all night which was weird.
- Commentators and umpires, dont know which was worse but it was bad...

day 11 of the fast had to put my 7.30 colonic on hold again, wouldnt have got the straw in for the whole 4 qtrs this time.

gee i love that we're able to be a lil inaccurate and still be able to win games.

brandon was doing his best uncle phil impression today! <sorry just barfed in my mouth a bit>

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Thought the whole defense stood up very well under pressure all night. Hamling, Pearce, Hughes and Nyhuis in particular.
- Easily Wilson's best for 2019 which was pleasing to see.
- Mundy great in his 300th, probably swung the game for us in the 3rd.
- Matera showing us why he was recruited.

- Lobb flogged all night by by English.
- Tall forwards didn't function well as a unit tonight.
- Midfield soundly beaten.
- Cerra has more faith in his left boot than he should.
- Brayhsaw seems to actively avoid kicking, especially for goal.

It was a good win, the Dogs aren't pushovers despite recent form. Happy enough with what we showed tonight, especially our response to the pressure the Dogs put on.

As always it was finishing and polish that let us down. Bit disappointed that our midfield couldn’t match it with theirs from a clearance POV - we’ll be up for a few beltings if we can’t sort that out.

Mundy needs to play forever - absolutely carried us in the third and stemmed the tide. If there’s any chance we’ll be able to challenge next year, he needs to be there playing at this level. Underrated and absolute champion.

As always, Ross has built a formidable backline that is absolutely humming and playing for each other. Absolute wall. What’s better, Nyhuis - a depth player coming in - just slotted in beautifully and played a tremendous game.

Our forwards are just so far into yip territory that it’s not funny.

I went to the game tonight so a couple of observations from seeing it live. The defense was sensational given our sloppy turnovers in our forward half. Hamling and Pearce are almost impenetrable when on. Pearce in particular must be in line for AA honours if he keeps his current form up. Brad Hill is a machine, he just runs and runs and runs. He sets up so many of our forward drives down the wing which you only truly appreciate when you see the game happening in front of your eyes, and not through a box in the living room.

On a negative note, the umpiring was atrocious (particularly in the last quarter) and the crowd let the umpiring group know as they walked off the ground after the game. Copped an absolute bake.

Really happy for Barra that we could get him the win. Roll on next week!

Last edited:
That was a bloody good win, the Dogs absolutely brought it tonight. We had to fight hard for that.

That sums it up for me.

Loved seeing Nyhuis back again and doing well. Hopefully they’ll finally give him a fair run in the firsts this time.

Hills gut running and link up continues to impress and he had a handful of contested possessions to top it off.

Fyfe was immense...again.

Mundy was exactly what you would expect from him. Class.

Matera close to goal. Who woulda thought eh?

And a big thumbs up to Ethan Hughes. Again, not perfect but really, really loved his game. He’s building well this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back