Universal Love Barra Leads Freo to the Win over WB

Remove this Banner Ad

In fairness, it is just a couple of complete dickheads who have said that. Guys you won't see again until we have another bad loss.
All part of the argie-bargie of bigfooty. Some of it a bit amusing too. I like to try and separate out the weekly game from the longer term vision of a rebuild. If you can't do that, then we have been very difficult to enjoy over past few seasons.

It made me tear up, particularly when he forgot the next line and was prompted by the people supporting him. Did he walk all the way to the middle of the ground and back? Even supported, it still looked like a fair distance.

Didn’t see how the other teams did it this year, but I think we always do it so well.
The club has always had a nice artistic edge to their big game. A bit of theatre that has added a real sense of occasion. Underpins the community aspect of the Fremantle football club too. Anyone remember when the flock of sheep ran amok pre-game?

Freo again did a superb job with the Anzac day game. The 98 year old was amazing and bought on the tears to most around us. The 40 bugles playing the last post bought the hairs up on the back of the neck. Kudos all round for the organisers

We have always done this well. I recall Leigh Matthews sending the Entire Brisbane team up from the change rooms to watch our performance. It was a night game and I remember we had chopper sound effects and smoke and lighting going on.
I think it was some theatre production company we had engaged.
For this game I was at the dawn service at Hellfire pass up river from the bridge on the River Kwai.
I watched the game in a Australia Bar in Bangkok. It was recommended to me by the Australian Ambassador to Thailand whom I met at the Sir Weary Dunlop museum where we had a dinner the night before the dawn service.

The AFL should ensure Fremantle returns to having the Len Hall game on April 25th.

We have always done this well. I recall Leigh Matthews sending the Entire Brisbane team up from the change rooms to watch our performance. It was a night game and I remember we had chopper sound effects and smoke and lighting going on.
For this game I was at the dawn service at Hellfire pass up river from the bridge on the River Kwai.
I watched the game in a Australia Bar in Bangkok. It was recommended to me by the Australian Ambassador to Thailand whom I met at the Sir Weary Dunlop museum where we had a dinner the night before the dawn service.

The AFL should ensure Fremantle returns to having the Len Hall game on April 25th.

Hope you are having a great time Fred

deckchair theatre company, now gone.

Hope you are having a great time Fred

I have to say that the dawn service at Hellfire Pass is the most emotional experience I have had.....jungle insects and all.
Had to set off at 3.00 am in a small boat and winding down the River Kwai in pitch black is quite an experience.
Probably 1000 people at the dawn service with very little seating, all reserved for VIP’s..... So we sit on the ground.
And let your mind wander for a moment, it’s pitch black in the middle of the jungle and you’ve just walked through a candle lit gorge that was dug out through solid rock by starved and tortured prisoners...Aussie soldiers.
It puts things in perspective.
As the sun rises and the light rays penetrate the trees you get to realise what those men endured.
It’s a safari to get there but, it’s something that I encourage people to do.
I also went to a midday service at the war cemetery in Kanchanaburi. I was brought to tears.
Opposite the cemetery is the Death Railway museum with artefacts and images from the prison camp.
It has to be seen to be believed.

deckchair theatre company, now gone.

Oh yes. Thanks mate.
I appreciate it.
It was probably about 1998 and we were playing Brisbane in a night match . Leigh sent his team up to the ground to watch it. There was awesome sound effects and a re-enactment of a jungle battle of sorts.
Bloody awesome stuff.

Opposite the cemetery is the Death Railway museum with artefacts and images from the prison camp.

3 decades since I was there... From memory it still had an original wooden guard tower overlooking the river and bridge as part of the museum complex.

And next door to it was a museum devoted to Thai history, filled with glorious wars with their neighbours to go and retrieve their own, or get their neighbours budha statues/relics. The contrast between the 2 adjoining museums (one all gung-ho and the other totally against war) was mindboggling.

3 decades since I was there... From memory it still had an original wooden guard tower overlooking the river and bridge as part of the museum complex.

And next door to it was a museum devoted to Thai history, filled with glorious wars with their neighbours to go and retrieve their own, or get their neighbours budha statues/relics. The contrast between the 2 adjoining museums (one all gung-ho and the other totally against war) was mindboggling.

Yeah, I went to that museum as well . It’s called Jeath war museum.
I was speaking to some aussies at the cemetery service who recommended I go there, if for no other reason than to see the photos of Japanese officers hanging from the bridge.
Something most of you won’t know is that Russian soldiers hung them from the bridge. Australian soldiers wanted nothing to do with it because they regarded it as cold blooded murder. ..... amazing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back