worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
In October last year a Barrie Robran biography was published. Written by lifelong North Adelaide fan Bruce Pointon, the book was self published and self marketed, and thus was not available in mainstream retail bookshops. A look at Melbourne Sports Books' website however shows that they have some copies available. The book was launched by Darren Lehmann.

I browsed through a copy of the book when I visited the MCG library in June, and copied down Robran's stats from the back of the book. So for those of you who haven't seen the book, or aren't willing to part with $75 to buy a copy from the author, (or $175 for a deluxe edition, or $295 for an executive edition) I thought I would post Robran's footy stats here.

Kicks, marks and handballs were not recorded for the first five rounds of 1967.

Season Games Kicks Marks Handballs Goals Hit outs Finals
1967 . . 20 . 263 . 94 . . .49 . . . 12 . . 3 . . . 2
1968 . . 21 . 449 .184 . . 127 . . . .4 . .15 . . . 2
1969 . . 20 . 467 .175 . . 109 . . . 22 . 102 . . . -
1970 . . 17 . 334 .133 . . 120 . . . 30 . .46 . . . 1
1971 . . 20 . 372 .186 . . 210 . . . 23 . .71 . . . 2
1972 . . 19 . 356 .157 . . 192 . . . 16 . 143 . . . 2
1973 . . 24 . 485 .180 . . 238 . . . 25 . 139 . . . 4
1974 . . 12 . 209 . 80 . . 124 . . . .9 . .69 . . . -
1975 . . 14 . 183 . 75 . . 133 . . . 14 . .80 . . . -
1976 . . 13 . 170 . 59 . . .81 . . . 15 . .30 . . . -
1977 . . injured
1978 . . .9 . .63 . 40 . . .28 . . . 19 . .19 . . . -
1979 . . .5 . .48 . 19 . . .48 . . . .2 . .18 . . . -
1980 . . .3 . .40 . 22 . . .32 . . . .3 . .17 . . . -

TOTALS .197 .3439 1404 . .1491 . . .194 . 752 . . .13

Robran also played one Australian Club Championship game in 1971 (1 goal) and 2 Australian Club Championship games in 1972 (1 goal). He played one SANFL preseason game in 1979 (0 goals), giving him the well known figure of 201 senior games for North Adelaide.

Robran's South Australian appearances.

1967 2 games, 0 goals
1968 2 games, 1 goal
1969 3 games, 1 goal
1970 2 games, 0 goals
1971 1 game, 1 goal
1972 3 games, 2 goals
1973 2 games, 1 goal
1974 2 games, 3 goals

TOTAL 17 games, 9 goals

Robran was South Australian captain in 1974

Robran's North Adelaide reserves appearances.

1966 2 games, 0 goals
1977 1 game, 7 goals
1979 1 game, 0 goals
1980 2 games, 0 goals
1981 5 games, 6 goals
1982 5 games, 0 goals

TOTAL 16 games, 13 goals

Barrie Robran's Magarey Medal votes

Season Votes Position
1967 . . 17 . . 3rd
1968 . . 22 . . 1st
1969 . . 14 . . 3rd
1970 . . 24 . . 1st
1971 . . 12 . .10th
1972 . . 14 . . 7th
1973 . . 29 . . 1st
1974 . . 15 . . 4th
1975 . . .6 . .28th (equal)
1976 . . .2 . .77th (equal)
1978 . . .0
1979 . . .0
1980 . . .4 . .82nd (equal)

Total . 159 votes from 184 home and away games

Barrie Robran's coaching career (North Adelaide)

Season Level . .W L D
1978 Seniors . .5 17
1979 Seniors . 10 12
1980 Seniors . .6 16
1982 Under 19 . 2 16 1

23 wins, 61 losses, 1 draw, 0 finals

Greatest player I have ever seen and I feel privilaged and honoured to see him play live (lucky I was just old enough to have seen him play live after his injury).
As far as I'm concerned the greatest player to play the play the game and everytime I say this I get into a massive heated argument with our Victorian friends but you ask anyone who saw him.
In the 74 state game at the SCG he was carving the Vics up until Matthews poleaxed him and ended up destroying his career. I guess today he would have an ACL op and he'd be back in 9 months. I'm a Port fan but you have to appreciate genius even from opposition clubs

I wish that I was able to see him live, it actually bothers me that I never saw him play. Even finding footage of him is difficult. My father and my grandfather both say that he was the best player they have ever seen by a fair margin. In fact, ask just about any South Australian who watched football in the 70's 'who was the best player you have ever seen?' the response is always B.Robran.

I'm the same I would have loved to have seen him play live, but wasn't old enough. There's not a great deal of footage, but there's a bit of the 1971 and, in particular 1972, grand finals on youtube.

There is also part of a documentary about him on youtube, some reasonable footage on there, worth a look. The Sports museum at the MCG also has some good footage in the legends section. I planted myself down and watched it twice, such a graceful player as well.

Yeah I saw that documentary, although I did hope there would be more footage on there than there actually was.

I saw Robran a few times in State matches against WA at Subiaco. I can remember one (maybe 1972) when he took apart WA almost single handedly. He was a great footballer. It's a pity he didn't go to the VFL because he would have a much higher profile and greater reputation. Jezza applauded some of his skill in a match against Carlton (this would have been 1972) - I think that speaks volumes. Not sure if he can be called the greatest of all time. Polly Farmer and a few others were, in my opinion, just as great. But there is no doubt he was a great.

I saw Robran a few times in State matches against WA at Subiaco. I can remember one (maybe 1972) when he took apart WA almost single handedly. He was a great footballer. It's a pity he didn't go to the VFL because he would have a much higher profile and greater reputation. Jezza applauded some of his skill in a match against Carlton (this would have been 1972) - I think that speaks volumes. Not sure if he can be called the greatest of all time. Polly Farmer and a few others were, in my opinion, just as great. But there is no doubt he was a great.

Probably the Champions of Australia game played after the Grand Final in 1973 that North won. There have been stories about how sober the Carlton players were but I think some this was spoken about after they lost the game!

It's funny Bruce McAvaney saying last night on the medal coverage "and now to the greatest man who's played the game Leigh Matthews". I bet if you asked him in private he'd say Barrie Robran is the best. If anyone knows him well you should ask him.

Can anyone explain the hitout stats? I'm only 21, so can only guess, but I imagine these were forward line ruck taps? Or did he regular come third man over the top. It certainly looks like he had the leap to do it!!!

Can anyone explain the hitout stats? I'm only 21, so can only guess, but I imagine these were forward line ruck taps? Or did he regular come third man over the top. It certainly looks like he had the leap to do it!!!

Would be a combination of things and you are right with one of them forward line hitouts. But also he was playing before the implementation of the centre square so in theory more than one player could ruck at the ball up after a goal.

Also there was checkside rucking so if you could get position then a shorter player in theory could get the hit outs. The reason why Rick Davies was a ruckman when he was about 6'2

If you want to see checkside rucking you'll see a bit of it in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjS9bMioJWg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the link mate really good watch! Interesting stuff, amazing watching 'big' blokes take pack marks as well. Now the big blokes are so tall it seems they struggle to be coordinated.

My dad, his brothers and his sister all rate B Robran as the best player they've ever seen. It's about the only thing they have ever agreed on. None of them supported North Adelaide either.

My dad, his brothers and his sister all rate B Robran as the best player they've ever seen. It's about the only thing they have ever agreed on. None of them supported North Adelaide either.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who watched SANFL football in that era ever say anything different either, regardless of who they supported.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who watched SANFL football in that era ever say anything different either, regardless of who they supported.

You can add me to that list. Sometimes footballers get a mystical quality about them that makes them better than they were in reality, but Robran was a genius, not a word I use lightly.

The number of times he could move through a wall of traffic, never faltering and then delivering the ball pin point to his target. Not a massive man in bulk but certainly in height, but could out manouver a big bloke body on body and then beat a 'rover' for the contested ball on the ground.

I loved Leigh Matthews as a footballer, but he certainly turned me off when he effectively and unnecessarily endded Robran's career. Robran was a very generous and affable guy, but it says something that he still hasn't forgiven Matthews to this day.

You can add me to that list. Sometimes footballers get a mystical quality about them that makes them better than they were in reality, but Robran was a genius, not a word I use lightly.

The number of times he could move through a wall of traffic, never faltering and then delivering the ball pin point to his target. Not a massive man in bulk but certainly in height, but could out manouver a big bloke body on body and then beat a 'rover' for the contested ball on the ground.

I loved Leigh Matthews as a footballer, but he certainly turned me off when he effectively and unnecessarily endded Robran's career. Robran was a very generous and affable guy, but it says something that he still hasn't forgiven Matthews to this day.

I remember the game I was watching it on TV and Matthews shirtfronted Robran because he was giving him a bath. I wasn't that old when I was watching it but that's how I remember the game.

Robran was an outright genius and if you ever want to start an argument with a VIC just say Robran is the best player to ever play the game. In my opinion he is and I'll never think differently.

On the doco another poster spoke about he kicks a goal from 45-50 on the boundary on his left leg (non-preferred). And that was after his injury. How many players were doing that in the 70's. 90% of them still can't do it today even though they are professional.

That was a ripper goal.

From what I've read and seen, he was still a very good player post-injury just not as dominant as he was earlier.

That was a ripper goal.

From what I've read and seen, he was still a very good player post-injury just not as dominant as he was earlier.

Would like to add my little bit,played SANFL 75-84 Played against the Eberts Bagshaws Davies and Robrans and have to agree with all that is said on here,elegant graceful skilled and fair also a tough player took his physical attacks and still played magical football and to add to that a very humble and a gentleman

THE BEST

To see Robran play on Ebert was worth the entrance fee alone, its something we don't see sadly anymore.

Barrie never looked liked he was moving very fast but i cant remember him ever getting caught holding the ball.
A great player and a great South Australian.

That was a ripper goal.

"Live" at Prospect Oval I only ever saw him after his injury and from what I can remember is, he would do something unbelievable during games to remind you what he could do, but you could tell he was on one leg. And then he wouldn't play for another 4-5 weeks. He played 44 games in 6 years after he was injured.

Heard him interviewed once & he would only refer to Matthews as 'that man' when the injury was brought up. The way he spoke gave me the impression that he played the game just for the enjoyment & couldn't understand why someone would've gone out of their way to hurt anyone in the course of the game.

What position did he play? I'm only 33 & never even seen footage. Stats shown whould give me the impression that he was an on-baller who could take a lot of marks as he seemed to get a lot of possessions but he didn't kick a huge amount of goals.

Whatever you think of Matthews & certain incidents in his career he was an on-baller for the vast majority of his career & kicked over 900 goals which is just amazing. Unless Robran had at least 6 goal assists a game (which obviously wasn't kept in his time) he cannot be considered in the same way as Matthews & countless other VFL/AFL players. He shouldn't have been made a Legend of the Hall of Fame ahead of other Sth Australians who came over & proved themselves in the VFL. Malcolm Blight is the obvious one who should be made a Legend, he was still a star in his last 3-4 years he played in the SANFL after his time at North Melbourne. His Margery Medal he won would've been at the time of Robrans peak also.

It's a pity he never came over to Melbourne to test himself against the best. From what i've heard he never really had any intention of doing so although to be fair to him he was still young enough at the time of his injury to change his mind & have a real crack at it.

I remember the game I was watching it on TV and Matthews shirtfronted Robran because he was giving him a bath. I wasn't that old when I was watching it but that's how I remember the game.

Robran didn't play very well that day, the Vics won by 6 goals and Phil Carman booted 5 goals for SA. Robran's state record wasn't all that great, but mainly because opposition teams tended to pay extra attention to Robran, hence nullifying his brilliance.

I agree with most comments on here, Robran was a brilliant player and certainly one of the best I've seen. I have no doubt whatsoever he would have been a sensation in the VFL. One trait that he has is a stubborn streak. He has a set mind and you cannot change it, no matter what.

As testimony to this, his best mate Bohdan Jaworskyj decided to try his hand at VFL football and signed for 3 years with the Hawks. Barrie was so fierce with club loyalty that he didn't speak to his best mate for many years after that. He just could not understand how anyone could leave North Adelaide to play elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back