Past Barry O'Connor - delisted 2022

AA300120DB0694-1-.JPG

Barry O'Connor
Barry O’Connor made the challenging switch from Gaelic football to Australian rules football when the Sydney Swans signed him as an International Category B Rookie in 2019. O’Connor, who hails from county Wexford on Ireland’s east coast, has trained as a key defender ever since arriving at the Swans at the beginning of the 2020 pre-season, with his marking ability, strength and speed his key attributes. His move to the Swans has linked him with assistant coach Tadhg Kennelly, from county Kerry, and teammate Colin O’Riordan, from county Tipperary.

Barry O'Connor
DOB: 26 June 1998
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2019 Other
RECRUITED FROM: County Wexford (Ireland)

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't see why we have higher standards for international recruits then local boys.
Do we? I’m actually quite happy with this pick up but if a 20 year old “local boy” came along with zero experience of our game I’m not sure he’d get the same opportunity that O’Connor has just been handed.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Any potential best 22 player we can pick up outside of a top draft pick should get us excited - those are the picks that will get us back into contention.
Looks to me like his body is ready for football already. Just needs to spend the next six months kicking a footy off both feet.
Like McVeigh?

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Just dont see the benefita of drafting a guy thats never played the game before compared to kids who have been playing for 12-15 years
Was there a benefit in drafting Tadgh Kennelly? Do you think Collingwood would have gotten so far without Cox? How about Carlton (actually developing a player) recruiting Zac Tuohy and his beautiful kicking?

The success rate for irish imports is extremely low

To be fair, the success rate for AFL draftees is also extremely low.

Average AFL career is around 6 years.

Gman12

Senior List
Apr 8, 2009
Wexford, Ireland
AFL Club
West Coast
The success rate for irish imports is extremely low

It probably depends on the definition of success. But Zac Tuohy up until the start of this season held the record for most consecutive games by a current player. Which in itself is a serious achievement. There are currently, by my count, 11 Irish players currently on AFL squads. 8 of that 11 (Hanley, Tuohy, O Connor, Glass, Nash, Joyce, O Riordan, McKenna) have played AFL footy this season. You often have the likes of O Riordan who spends 2 years or so developing in the reserves, but once they make the breakthrough, often stay with it. Its the players who dont make the breakthrough who end up leaving.

Tommy Walsh was really unlucky with Sydney, got such a serious injury as he was starting to make the first team and never recovered. He wasnt even right when he came back home either, played a bit for his club team and only this year was called up to the county team. That it has taken him so long to recover is testament to what was effectively a career ending injury.

There is always the argument over picking an Irish recruit over a home bred player, but considering they are on different rookie lists, it isnt at the expense of another Australian recruit. There is the financial aspect too, is it worthwhile playing someone who costs more to bring in (flights, accommodation, family flights etc) over the home grown player. Only the club will know that. The positives is that they can recruit someone outside of the draft picks, meaning you can select who you want and use the clubs standing to pick the player. You are also getting a player, while alien to the game, but has the basic skills to play to a more than competent level. There was a clip a couple of weeks back of Geelong and Hawthorn, where Mark O Connor took the ball on the run at the edge of the goal square to outrun his opponent, and on the run hit a 50m pass off his weaker left foot right in the chest of a team mate. It was marvelled at by Chris Scott, but was just a standard play by the likes of O Connor. The fact you see many Irish players take goal kicks says a lot too.

Whether Barry will make it with Sydney or not is another thing. The one thing you are getting though is a player from a great sporting culture who wants to learn. His dad was a hurling legend for Wexford and was employed for years as a revolutionary coach in the Leinster province, going to clubs and counties to give coaching clinics. Barry himself is an excellent footballer, playing either full forward or midfield (similar to a ruck type role I suppose). He plays in defence in hurling, so really is an all rounder and able to adapt. He has a very good attitude and is a very quiet and humble chap. Has a great work ethic. I would say I am a bit surprised to see him make it, I wouldnt have considered him to be the most promising of his age group in the county or the absolute most talented player to come through the ranks (albeit certainly well up there at the top), but again, there is a lot more to an accomplished footballer than skills on the pitch so he obviously impressed the Sydney coaches with his ability and even more so his attitude.

It probably depends on the definition of success. But Zac Tuohy up until the start of this season held the record for most consecutive games by a current player. Which in itself is a serious achievement. There are currently, by my count, 11 Irish players currently on AFL squads. 8 of that 11 (Hanley, Tuohy, O Connor, Glass, Nash, Joyce, O Riordan, McKenna) have played AFL footy this season. You often have the likes of O Riordan who spends 2 years or so developing in the reserves, but once they make the breakthrough, often stay with it. Its the players who dont make the breakthrough who end up leaving.

Tommy Walsh was really unlucky with Sydney, got such a serious injury as he was starting to make the first team and never recovered. He wasnt even right when he came back home either, played a bit for his club team and only this year was called up to the county team. That it has taken him so long to recover is testament to what was effectively a career ending injury.

There is always the argument over picking an Irish recruit over a home bred player, but considering they are on different rookie lists, it isnt at the expense of another Australian recruit. There is the financial aspect too, is it worthwhile playing someone who costs more to bring in (flights, accommodation, family flights etc) over the home grown player. Only the club will know that. The positives is that they can recruit someone outside of the draft picks, meaning you can select who you want and use the clubs standing to pick the player. You are also getting a player, while alien to the game, but has the basic skills to play to a more than competent level. There was a clip a couple of weeks back of Geelong and Hawthorn, where Mark O Connor took the ball on the run at the edge of the goal square to outrun his opponent, and on the run hit a 50m pass off his weaker left foot right in the chest of a team mate. It was marvelled at by Chris Scott, but was just a standard play by the likes of O Connor. The fact you see many Irish players take goal kicks says a lot too.

Whether Barry will make it with Sydney or not is another thing. The one thing you are getting though is a player from a great sporting culture who wants to learn. His dad was a hurling legend for Wexford and was employed for years as a revolutionary coach in the Leinster province, going to clubs and counties to give coaching clinics. Barry himself is an excellent footballer, playing either full forward or midfield (similar to a ruck type role I suppose). He plays in defence in hurling, so really is an all rounder and able to adapt. He has a very good attitude and is a very quiet and humble chap. Has a great work ethic. I would say I am a bit surprised to see him make it, I wouldnt have considered him to be the most promising of his age group in the county or the absolute most talented player to come through the ranks (albeit certainly well up there at the top), but again, there is a lot more to an accomplished footballer than skills on the pitch so he obviously impressed the Sydney coaches with his ability and even more so his attitude.
Gman12 thanks for the post. Do you follow the one AFL team or watch most of the games?

Last edited:

Gman12

Senior List
Apr 8, 2009
Wexford, Ireland
AFL Club
West Coast
Gman12 thanks for the post. Do you follow the one AFL team or watch most of the games?

have fox sports here so generally throw on whatever games are on live, usually the evening games over there, so would often see the Friday night games and Saturday/Sunday afternoon onwards. Mightnt get to see the whole game, but generally would see most of it. Also depends who is playing too, Carlton/Gold Coast wouldnt hold much appeal to me! AFL 24/7 will often have games on repeat too. Generally try watch all the Eagles games if possible or at least extended highlights. I'd have a bit of love for Sydney too, was over there in 06 and went to a couple of games at the SCG to see them play. Spent more time in Perth though and Eagles were flying at that time too. Was a great couple of seasons between the Eagles and Swans in the mid section of the decade. Have been back to Perth a few times since and have tried get in games there when I can.

have fox sports here so generally throw on whatever games are on live, usually the evening games over there, so would often see the Friday night games and Saturday/Sunday afternoon onwards. Mightnt get to see the whole game, but generally would see most of it. Also depends who is playing too, Carlton/Gold Coast wouldnt hold much appeal to me! AFL 24/7 will often have games on repeat too. Generally try watch all the Eagles games if possible or at least extended highlights. I'd have a bit of love for Sydney too, was over there in 06 and went to a couple of games at the SCG to see them play. Spent more time in Perth though and Eagles were flying at that time too. Was a great couple of seasons between the Eagles and Swans in the mid section of the decade. Have been back to Perth a few times since and have tried get in games there when I can.

Thanks for the information about the O'Connor lad. It seems we have picked up a terrific young person.

How is Cork looking in the GAA?

Gman12

Senior List
Apr 8, 2009
Wexford, Ireland
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks for the information about the O'Connor lad. It seems we have picked up a terrific young person.

How is Cork looking in the GAA?

Yeah Barry is a good lad and his father too is a great man. Very much head on his shoulders about him and no airs or graces or thinking he is some sort of superstar. Keeps to himself and plays with great honour.

Cork going well in hurling this year, pretty poor in football. At their lowest ebb in football for a long long time, relegated to the third division in football (of 4). They play a Munster final against Kerry in a couple of weeks and I expect them to be well beaten. Their hurlers will get through to the knock out stages though I reckon and could do well if things fall right for them.

Yeah Barry is a good lad and his father too is a great man. Very much head on his shoulders about him and no airs or graces or thinking he is some sort of superstar. Keeps to himself and plays with great honour.

Cork going well in hurling this year, pretty poor in football. At their lowest ebb in football for a long long time, relegated to the third division in football (of 4). They play a Munster final against Kerry in a couple of weeks and I expect them to be well beaten. Their hurlers will get through to the knock out stages though I reckon and could do well if things fall right for them.

Thanks for that.

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,

thanks for thw write up, good to get some info apart from the usual club blurb.

A lot of Irish players for us

Tadhg Kennelly
Declan O'Mahoney
Tommy Walsh
Brendan Murphy
Kyle Coney
Chris McKaigue
Barry O'Connor
Colin O'Riordan

Strike rate of 2/8 if O'Riordan holds a spot, which is about on par with standard rookie draftees, so pretty solid

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Kid looks athletic, and filling out well. Guns on him...
Hopefully he's been playing with a footy as well as the weights program.
The NEAFL will be a good level for him to start off. I like what I'm reading in the posts on him so far.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Kid looks athletic, and filling out well. Guns on him...
Hopefully he's been playing with a footy as well as the weights program.
The NEAFL will be a good level for him to start off. I like what I'm reading in the posts on him so far.

Arms are as big as my legs!

Gman12

Senior List
Apr 8, 2009
Wexford, Ireland
AFL Club
West Coast
The list of successful Irish players is pretty small compared to the failed experiments.

Without knowing the actual success rate or hit rate of a drafted rookie, but is it any different to that? There are what, up to 80 players drafted every year, 40 or so through the rookie draft (with players doubled up being re entered this way) and 30 or so entered through Cat B rookies or supplemental drafting. Thats about 150 players every year, of those, how many end up "successful"? The Irish selections stand out more because there is a bit of hype with a player coming in from abroad, but I wouldnt have thought their actual progress was much different to a standard rookie being drafted?

I could be way off on those figures too, only going on averages and estimates.

Hoping Barry goes well for Sydney though. He's a good lad and has a great attitude.

Without knowing the actual success rate or hit rate of a drafted rookie, but is it any different to that? There are what, up to 80 players drafted every year, 40 or so through the rookie draft (with players doubled up being re entered this way) and 30 or so entered through Cat B rookies or supplemental drafting. Thats about 150 players every year, of those, how many end up "successful"? The Irish selections stand out more because there is a bit of hype with a player coming in from abroad, but I wouldnt have thought their actual progress was much different to a standard rookie being drafted?

I could be way off on those figures too, only going on averages and estimates.

Hoping Barry goes well for Sydney though. He's a good lad and has a great attitude.
I posted on this a little while ago, and you are correct. The Swans' strike rate on Irish players is about 20-25% which is pretty much the same as the standard rookie success rate.

About 80% of these players will fail (same goes for all the other rookies talked up on this board)

Back