Bartel announces retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen it confirmed just wanted to pop in and congratulate the bloke in a astounding career. In his prime was an absoloute beast; if you needed a genuine match winner he was always the one. Made me go say ****sake on so many occasions. One of the blokes you cant possibly hate going to miss your number 3 from a neutral point of view all the best hopefully the next no3 isnhalf as good

In any discussions about the folklore of our footy club, people will only have to speak the name 'Jimmy' for everyone to know exactly who they are talking about.

That's how much of a luminary this GFC champion has become down at the Cattery.

Stood tall for so many years on the field through a glorious era at the club. And his class and courage in attacking the scourge of DV in recent times has been a clinching testament to his character off the field as well.

Footy in 2017 without Corza and JB is really hard to imagine.

A monumental footballer (in the supposed age of 'the athlete') who rose to the occasion time after time.

Loved your career, Jim. And love how you've always loved our footy club as much as us supporters do.

Might have retired. But will never be forgotten.

Congrats on a wonderful career Jimmy. Enjoy your post-playing career, and may your retirement look a lot like this... jimmy.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

awesome career. maybe he gets picked up but hope not. good time for him to go in my view but really wish there was not all the crap around it. emd of the day he had the contract option to male the call. his choice and its cool that it was and not forced albeit many here say it was inferred. thanks for the awesome games and being a team man

:(

Sad to see Jimmy retire.

Also time to buy a new guernsey and a new number - have always said that once he retires I retire the #3 off my back also.

Thanks for the memories Jimmy and along with Boris we losing 2 absolute legends of our club. Best of luck in retirement

Interesting statement - "GFC and Bartel mutually agreed...", "While I still feel like I have more to give...". I guess they always feel like that but it has the hint of a little nudge into the sunset. Right decision though for mine.

Total definition of what a Champion should be.
Gave his own game up to further the team's successes for several years when it was probably easier for him to play his preferred roles.
As has been noted, a players player, a fans player, a coaches player and forever a GFC player.

Will be missed as much for what he did on the track as off it.

And while im talking about on the track....
What a career. Been a privilege to have been able to watch him go around for 15 years... and that whole group infact. Impossible to separate them but best known as another member of the Greatest Team of All.

GO Catters

Last edited:
A legend on and off the field the man they call Jimmy will live long in the storied history the Geelong Football Club and forever in the hearts of its members.
Thank you for the memories number three enjoy your well earned rest.
images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back