Bartel announces retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Legend. A footballers footballer and an outstanding servant of the GFC. I have a long sleeved guernsey that I aptly call the "Jimmy Bartel special". His performances in the 2009 and 2011 and Brownlow medal in 2007 are defining moments in a fantastic career. The last of the class of 2001 and the end of an era

What a player.

Jimmy has been my favourite player since I first saw him in 2002, and it has been a pleasure watching him play.
On the flip side, it's pretty sad when your first 'favourite' player retires. I was 14 in 2002 and he was the first player I really fell in love with as footy started to consume my life. He was 'my man' and even called that he would win a Brownlow back in 2004.

It's been a pleasure. Thanks, Jimmy - you will be both missed, and revered.

Absolute gun.
Was a gem in one of the best midfield outfits ever in the late '00s.
Always played for the team, he wasn't quick but would run his guts out for a one percenter.

Watch the 2009 round 14 clash against the Saints for the epitome of the footballer. It makes me shiver seeing how he played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Selected by the Cats with the 8th pick in the 2001 national draft
  • Debuted in round 1, 2002 against Essendon at MCG
  • Member of 2007, 2009, 2011 premiership teams
  • Member of 2006, 2009 NAB Cup winning teams
  • Won 2007 Brownlow medal
  • Won 2011 Norm Smith medal
  • Won 2016 Jim Stynes award
  • All Australian 2007, 2008
  • Runner up Geelong best & fairest 2006, 2007
  • Third Geelong best & fairest 2008, 2009, 2011
  • Played a club record 28 finals matches
  • Played 305 games and kicked 202 goals

Just an amassing player not naturally gifted as other but makes up with professionalism,dedication and sheer love of the game will be sorely missed, and is a club legend....

My favourite player of the last 10 years - not sure how weird that is being an opposition supporter.

Obviously tapered a bit towards the end but every bit as good a player if not better from the 2001 draft as Judd & Hodge in my opinion.

Could play and win all over the ground and made it look easy. Not sure how many clutch goals, marks and tackles he would have made but seemed to be endless. He was as good an all round footballer as I can remember seeing - a rare beast indeed. Not that it makes a difference in ability but obviously seems like a very decent bloke and certainly can't remember him taking any cheap shots on the field - only ever had eyes for the footy, gutsy as they come.

Surprised that he only had 2 AA's and no Carji Greaves Medal but had some pretty good players riding shotgun.

Farewell Jimmy, thanks for the memories.

• Selected by the Cats with the 8th pick in the 2001 national draft
  • Debuted in round 1, 2002 against Essendon at MCG
  • Member of 2007, 2009, 2011 premiership teams
  • Member of 2006, 2009 NAB Cup winning teams
  • Won 2007 Brownlow medal
  • Won 2011 Norm Smith medal
  • Won 2016 Jim Stynes award
  • All Australian 2007, 2008
  • Runner up Geelong best & fairest 2006, 2007
  • Third Geelong best & fairest 2008, 2009, 2011
  • Played a club record 28 finals matches
  • Played 305 games and kicked 202 goals
Such a tragedy he never won a Carji, but when you play in a team full of legends someone is going to miss out.

Loved this guy. My favourite non Crow ever..
True champion in every sense of the word.

All the best champ.

Does anyone know if he will go into a coaching role? Would love him as a midfield coach. Massive footy IQ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back