FTA-TV Basil Zempilas- Commentary TIPS

Remove this Banner Ad

Give it a rest FFS, i don't mind him TBH, if you're waiting for a caller that's universally loved you're going to be waiting for a while.

I hate Bruce, you love Dennis, i hate BT you love Derwayne, and round and round we go.

Hey hey hey, let’s not go too far ... no one loves Derwayne.

Clearly spends time getting personal antidotes on each player and is determined to jam them into the broadcast, even if it means getting himself 2 or 3 events behind play. Terriblely slow and monotone voice as well

Radio peeps, radio.

Dunno why you mob keep subjecting yourselves to these imcompitents.

Syncing issue.

Give it a rest FFS, i don't mind him TBH, if you're waiting for a caller that's universally loved you're going to be waiting for a while.

I hate Bruce, you love Dennis, i hate BT you love Derwayne, and round and round we go.

Not looking for “universally loved”, looking for “able to garner respect” by being competent at the job they are paid well for and for coverage which their network has a monopoly over.

Basil’s commentary is very similar to the way he used to play footy:
- he tried hard, but was limited by a lack of talent
- he was eager to please in an uncoordinated puppy kind of way
- was too slow so always 2 steps behind the play
- had a modicum of popularity with fans because of the unintentional comedy he brought to the game

As a kid I could never understand why he got a game at WP, as an adult I can never understand how he gets a gig on C7.

As a general comment, I don’t think you should blame the individual commentators for any of this, but rather blame Channel 7. It’s like if someone always has their dog s**t on your front lawn. Who do you blame in that situation? The dog, or the person holding the lead? BT, Ling, Darcy, Basil- all of them are just dogs shitting on us week in week out because that’s what Channel 7 want them to do. We can get angry at the dog all we want, but dogs can always be replaced. If you actually want to stop being served s**t you need to go after the man with the lead.
Fantastic analogy!!

Ok, as my phone is closer than the remote, rather than hit the Mute button I'm going to whinge online instead...

Basil.

Oh sweet freakin holy Goat scrote.

Are Ch7 trolling us?

Didn’t think you watched football?

I think he’d be suited to hosting Wheel of Fortune or something like that, possibly selling stuff on home shopping channels. While it’s bewildering, I suppose it’s not his fault he’s got this far. It does seem like the Ch 7 execs must have a liking for that fairly lame and cringey humour, as it tends to run through many of the ch 7 broadcasts and some of the other commentators. Ling for example seems to have gone from a somewhat respected footballing mind at the end of his playing career to a ch 7 performer that is very difficult to listen to and respect, especially when dabbling in ch 7 style banter.

Perhaps it’s like that Brad McNamara bloke at 9 who thought everybody want to hear cricket commentators talking about themselves while the cricket was going on. That stuff has a place in pre-game segments, radio shows etc, but very rarely is it welcome when the game itself is on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Syncing issue.

Which are very easily overcome.

For whatever reason people (& yes, I used to be one) can make the effort to post about how awful their footy experience is whilst having to listen to these drongos instead of taking the simple steps of finding a radio broadcast that suits, syncing up & enjoying the game.

CH7 aren't going to change, you need to.

I have a deep seated irrational hate of Basil. He is by far the worst and I believe that all of our lives would be better if we didn't have to put up with him.

I seize up and get angry every time I hear his voice and my blood pressure increases to dangerous levels every time he makes one of his stupid ******* jokes.

Time to put him away channel 7 you ******* campaigners.
The worst thing is in summer during the Australian Open, with millions around the world watching Roger Federer winning again breaking records, who does 7 put up as the MC of the presentation ceremony?
******* Basil and in the process they humiliate our entire country.

Basil’s commentary is very similar to the way he used to play footy:
- he tried hard, but was limited by a lack of talent
- he was eager to please in an uncoordinated puppy kind of way
- was too slow so always 2 steps behind the play
- had a modicum of popularity with fans because of the unintentional comedy he brought to the game

As a kid I could never understand why he got a game at WP, as an adult I can never understand how he gets a gig on C7.
Stephen Hooper fixed him up royally.
even back then (1990?) I was happy to see this...have always thought basil was a toss pot.

as for now I think he has climbed the ladder gradually and landed in the plum jobs. for some reason they reckon he goes alright.
imagine if they let Adrian Barich loose...now there is an A grade knob jockey.

He's so far behind the play it's ridiculous.

Also, it's so obvious that he goes through each team's list before the season and comes up with as many lame puns as he can involving the players' names (e.g. Ronke = Rock, Hayward = Wayward, Ryan = Flyin'). Bombarding people with puns that you know are lame is not entertaining. You can hear his annoying little pause after he unleashes one of his shitty puns; almost as if he's waiting for the ba-dum-tish or for someone to laugh. Lame is lame. Lame is not funny. The limp-wristed, dad-joke, pun-loving redditors who pretend that garbage is funny are not watching Austrian Rules football. Just shut the **** up and call the game - and not 5 seconds behind the play.
I still cringe at the game he called Richmond Freo 2-3 years ago on a Friday night, we flogged them every time Freo got near the goals he’d carry on with here comes Freo despite the game being well and truly over but used the most cringe pun when Fyfe took s big pack mark delivered full of smug thinking he was a genius.
“High fyfes all round”

If Jason Bennett can commentate AFLW games & get players names right, Basil has no ******* excuse. How long has AFLW been around for? Oh and Bennett can keep up with play & doesn't make stupid puns.

Would sacrifice my first born just to have professional commentators for every game I watch.
It’s one of life’s mysteries why they have the best AFL caller in the 7 stable wasted doing VFL and AFLW, it’s great when he does the AFL when 7 ships off its premium talent in Basil and Hame to do the Olympics and Jason Bennett takes over for them, knows all the players names, actually calls the play. It’s a strange but nice change.

It’s one of life’s mysteries why they have the best AFL caller in the 7 stable wasted doing VFL and AFLW, it’s great when he does the AFL when 7 ships off its premium talent in Basil and Hame to do the Olympics and Jason Bennett takes over for them, knows all the players names, actually calls the play. It’s a strange but nice change.

It is because he isn't one of the boys. Same as Peter Donegan whom was really good when calling VFL for the ABC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back