FTA-TV Basil Zempilas- Commentary TIPS

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was last Saturday night there was an Elton and John playing and he had three Elton John jokes in a row the last one ending with "I guess you don't need to be a rocket man to kick a goal"... which was met with the longest silence & made me almost feel sorry for him.

Game over and Basil declares...."A game that did not deserve a winner.....not a winner in these sort of circumstances".
I kid you not.

I think it was last Saturday night there was an Elton and John playing and he had three Elton John jokes in a row the last one ending with "I guess you don't need to be a rocket man to kick a goal"... which was met with the longest silence & made me almost feel sorry for him.

"Elton, Jong. Not Elton John. Elton and Jong"

Just pure cringe :$

He can't do too much about his voice. He can do something about calling the play about 5 minutes after it happens in real time. Its like the monitor he watches is on a massive delay.
I don't understand why he looks at a monitor. He might as well be calling it from home then.The whole point of commentators being at the game is that they can see things unfold up the ground that may be out of frame.

If he honestly can't do such a simple task he shouldn't have a job. Commentary really is a job where its not what you know it's who you know.

Saturday night just proved how much better Jason Bennett is as a commentator. No frills, just calls the action as a complete professional.
That's how sports commentary should be, not the crap Channel 7 serve up.
Basil on the other hand tries to be funny and is not, and always seems to be a few seconds behind the play. I find that quite odd.

Saturday night just proved how much better Jason Bennett is as a commentator. No frills, just calls the action as a complete professional.
Basil on the other hand tries to be funny and is not, and always seems to be a few seconds behind the play. I find that quite odd.

Would've thought you'd be defending Basil with a username like that!

As Richie Benaud and the old school cricket commentators have said, let the images tell the story and only speak if you can add to it.

It's indirectly Commetti's fault. His lines which were funny and made him stood out from the other commentators, have now created imitators which are just not up to his skills.

Nowadays, in most Australian sports media, commentary is terrible as they just say stuff for the sake of it and it adds nothing to the pictures. Everyone wants their own catchphrase or highlight reel of commentating.

Even the kids these days growing up hearing this think it's normal or great so they'll be a lot more of this, perhaps worse, in the future.

Every other sport, you can watch the highlights and you barely hear the commentators say anything other than player names whilst the play is happening.

As Richie Benaud and the old school cricket commentators have said, let the images tell the story and only speak if you can add to it.

It's indirectly Commetti's fault. His lines which were funny and made him stood out from the other commentators, have now created imitators which are just not up to his skills.

Nowadays, in most Australian sports media, commentary is terrible as they just say stuff for the sake of it and it adds nothing to the pictures. Everyone wants their own catchphrase or highlight reel of commentating.

Even the kids these days growing up hearing this think it's normal or great so they'll be a lot more of this, perhaps worse, in the future.

Every other sport, you can watch the highlights and you barely hear the commentators say anything other than player names whilst the play is happening.

Like Bwoos calling "Thyril....Thyril...Thyril."

It's getting worse in a lot of sports. Football (soccer to your flat earthers) are getting more and more outlandish. The one who does a lot of the big Premier League games is especially insufferable and especially when Leicester won it last year. The yelling out of catchcrys like 'Reach out and touch it Leicester!' 'Remember the name....Wayne Rooney!' etc are to get on a highlights reel or make it more about them. Simon Hill can get excited but in an understated way. Martin Tyler type commentary is fast going out the door.

It's getting worse in a lot of sports. Football (soccer to your flat earthers) are getting more and more outlandish. The one who does a lot of the big Premier League games is especially insufferable and especially when Leicester won it last year. The yelling out of catchcrys like 'Reach out and touch it Leicester!' 'Remember the name....Wayne Rooney!' etc are to get on a highlights reel or make it more about them. Simon Hill can get excited but in an understated way. Martin Tyler type commentary is fast going out the door.

Peter Drury lives for the catchphrase and sound bite. His games are just one scripted sentence after another, which gets really annoying... but then when he describes some goals he can be just about the best at doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Drury. He's dreadful.

But even he ended up trying to be too funny.

AFL commentary is in a shitful state.

* the jokes, nicknames, anecdotes, invented terms, inability to talk english properly. Just describe the game.

Sophisticated commentary died when Dennis retired. Eddie's got a bit of old style about him and he's well educated on history. Just needs to take his Victorian blazer off when calling.

Right now we have a bunch of commentating trying too hard instead of just letting the commentary unfold. Even Bruce is a shocker, his last few grand final calls have been far too scripted.

Sophisticated commentary died when Dennis retired. Eddie's got a bit of old style about him and he's well educated on history. Just needs to take his Victorian blazer off when calling.

Right now we have a bunch of commentating trying too hard instead of just letting the commentary unfold. Even Bruce is a shocker, his last few grand final calls have been far too scripted.
The Richmond V Fremantle call was disgraceful.

I reckon he fluffed half a dozen names last night and a couple were really bad like the PP/Wingard one. Called Danhier Goddard presumably because he read the number upside down.. :drunk:

Not 100% certain if he did Carlton vs GWS (though I'm pretty sure he did), but the play by play caller mistook Casboult for Thomas at one point.

Lets not forget Hamish McLaughlin at the north vs demons game.

The camera pans to lindsay thomas looking on from the stands.

"Daniel Wells watching on". Mother*er, he doesn't even play for north anymore!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back