FTA-TV Basil Zempilas- Commentary TIPS

Remove this Banner Ad

General lack of enthusiasm and monotone for such a big match winning moment.
When something exciting happens, Basil just talks louder and slower.

That's why I can't hate on BT or Bruce or Eddie, despite their obvious flaws. At least when something exciting happens, they get excited and it results in a better call. It's almost as if Basil is a bit self-conscious and scared to let himself get caught up in the moment. Quatermain, McAvaney, Hudson, Lane etc. all have iconic calls because of this.

This basically sums up why Basil is the worst of them though. The best defence anyone can make for him is "yeah, but there are other commentators who suck too."

No commentator is universally loved, but most do receive some level of positive reaction. It's only really Basil and Rompingwins where the best anyone can say for them amounts to 'meh'.

The thing with B Zemp is that not only is he a shithouse commentator, he has terrible voice for it as well.

I dont actually get why he is hated so much...
Because he is genuinely terrible at his job and he has a very awkward demeanour that comes across as smug and phony. It’s Hamish with less nepotism. This guy is basically being billed as Comettis successor by Ch 7 yet he has all the wit, knowledge and charisma of an expired goldfish.

Quatermain, McAvaney, Hudson,

Agree with these 3.

Quarters' calls of Zaharakis' game winning goal in 2009 (his first AFL goal) and Leo Barry's mark are audio treasures.
Likewise Huddo's call of Nick Davis' goal.

Huddo let himself down with the Ashley McGrath "miracle on grass" goal though.

Bruce McAvaney was also the voice behind the Gary Moorcroft mark.

She does offer some insight but for mine she fails miserably with the delivery

She's sounds like a rabbit on speed,

Very similar to Dal Santo

It's no coincidence the best callers are non players, I'd rather Neroli Meadows any day of the week

Daisy P gets away with a lot for a couple of reasons (one being she is a current player), but there are a number of times the commentary box crew crosses to her and she offers a very minor point as "insight" on the boundary. her questions to players can take forever and don't add a lot to the overall broadcast. really borderline value for mine.

Further to this, it's not that he uttered "miracle on grass."
It's the inflection which sounded forced and disingenuous.

Light and day when compared to Buddy's 13th goal vs Kangaroos and his call of Bontempelli's goal vs Melbourne R15 2014 (should've been GOTY just quietly.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may have been good once but he reached his use by date a few years ago now. Is just lazy. Repeats the same word over and over again just to fill up air time with his voice rather than saying anything;

Ruuunning, ruuuunning, ruuuunning, clever
Searching, searching, searching, clever
Looooking, looooking, looooking, ooo that was clever
Waiting, waaaiting, waaaiting, gee clever

Please just * off Bruce.

On topic though, if I could cut Basil or Bruce it would be Basil in a heartbeat despite what I just said about Bruce who really does need to go I think.

Agree with these 3.

Quarters' calls of Zaharakis' game winning goal in 2009 (his first AFL goal) and Leo Barry's mark are audio treasures.
Likewise Huddo's call of Nick Davis' goal.

Basil has his "7 for 9!" when Charlie Cameron took a big mark last year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Daisy P gets away with a lot for a couple of reasons (one being she is a current player), but there are a number of times the commentary box crew crosses to her and she offers a very minor point as "insight" on the boundary. her questions to players can take forever and don't add a lot to the overall broadcast. really borderline value for mine.
she just trots out the typical cliches they used in the 80's/90's.

Because he is genuinely terrible at his job and he has a very awkward demeanour that comes across as smug and phony. It’s Hamish with less nepotism. This guy is basically being billed as Comettis successor by Ch 7 yet he has all the wit, knowledge and charisma of an expired goldfish.
With those types of attributes, I'm surprised you're not a commentator.

Has Basil mentioned that this is the seventh, consecutive, home game, with 50,000+ in attendance? I thought I heard him say it 3 times in a minute but I could be wrong. Again it was a record, seventh, consecutive, home game, with a crowd of over 50,000. That was 50,000, in attendance, for seven, consecutive home games, an AFL record. Just wondering if anyone heard him mention it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back