Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
This guy ruins every game he calls with his fake excitement and shrilling pitch, awkward Dennis imitator jokes, his tendency to call something several seconds after it has happened (with the wrong player names) ,rambling about insignificant rubbish and his general inability to generate any sort of vibe or excitement in the broadcast.

I'd honestly take Bruce, Dwayne or BT commentating extra games if it meant this flog never commentated another game again. Those two may have the infuriating flaws, but they don't have the ability to make ANY game flat and unexciting like good ol Baz. They tried him out, he is rubbish and should return to presenting the sports section on seven news and never butcher our sports coverage again with his inept commentary. .

nope it will always be that flog Mathew Richardson, I don't care how off trak and unrelated crap is spoken by any other commentator.
Even Dwayne Russell who i actively dislike.

Plenty of Commentators are s**t, but to make a absolutely stupid call and back it for the entire game despite it quite clearly being a stupid call and having the rest of the commentary team argue with because you don't have enough balls to admit you were wrong takes the cake.

2013 Gold Coast vs North:
Having dominated the 1st qtr North start falling away in 2nd and concede 4 easy goals.
Then maybe 6 minutes to go until half time. North are leading by 3 points.
the pressure is all Suns, they are killing North in the clearances and in the middle of the ground, resulting in multiple inside 50's.
Never the less the one thing going right for North is their ferocious defence has finally clicked and is desperately rallying, time and again stopping shots at goals, getting possession and only to watch the ball come straight back in.... but they are holding on head's high and trying to generate play.

If they can hang on North would go into halftime with the lead..... Enter Richo:
who makes the dumbest call i've ever heard, Richo actually suggested that North should concede a goal so they can win the centre clearance and go fwd and have their own shot at goal............... even saying he'd be "happy to go into halftime down by 3 points"

There's just one minor problem with this theory that richo doesn't seem to understand. The Gold coast are winning the clearances.
the rest of the commentary team call him out on it but he defends it, Sure enough he get's his wish and Tom Lynch goals.
Richo is grin so much you can feel it through the tv, here's his massive piece of analysis, Great insight, from the great man.

Anybody care to guess what happened?

The gold coast won the clearance, sent the ball back into the Sun's fwd 50 where a desperate North would then concede another behind and the Sun's lock the ball in North's defensive 50 for the rest of the qtr.

Now you think that would be the end of it?
Nope not richo, Despite fact that North would never regain the lead and lost the 3rd and 4th qtr's HE CONTINUED TO ARGUE HE MADE THE RIGHT CALL FOR THE ENTIRE MATCH.

Richo argued about a stupid call he made for the better half of 60 minutes ruining a cracking game that was decided by just 15 points.

The Man's a plague rat.

He may be calling Saturday Nights next year if the rumours are true, so you'll have that to look forward too aswell.....

Look hating on commentators is pretty easy. But Basil is genuinely poor, stick him on the boundary or in the newsroom if you want to keep him that badly Channel 7. But don't let him or Hame in the box.

He may be calling Saturday Nights next year if the rumours are true, so you'll have that to look forward too aswell.....
Why do channel 7 insist on putting up callers who are awful?
Is it some weird AFL conspiracy to get people to actually go to games?

Has to be. Imagine if they employed people who are as awful at their job as ch.7 commentators in any other profession?

Has to be. Imagine if they employed people who are as awful at their job as ch.7 commentators in any other profession?
If I was as poorly received in my job as their commentators are I wouldn't have a job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My greatest fear is that TV executives are so dumb his audition to be an unfunny labotomised version of Dennis is succesful

He is an absolutely deplorable commentator. The scary thing is he is paired with Hame who is as bad or even, amazingly, worse. There have never been two worse commentators for footy in history, they have honestly plumbed new depths those two. Dwayne Russel would be the closest to them but even he can't get near their all round awfulness.

It isn't as much what he says as the tone which he says it in. Dennis could make that line work, Basil's voice sounds so forced and fake.

I think Basil is Dennis' derpy half brother or something, their noses and mannerisms arent that dissimilar, even if their job quality is very much so.

Ruined Truck's last kick and goal with his annoying voice over........:mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back