Kardinia Boy

Senior List
Jun 6, 2008
Steiglitz
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Canucks
Not sure if I dreamed this, but did anyone else notice Basil ask Selwood after the game where he was when Natanui took the mark at the end. Ummm ...Basil ...he kicked the ball.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
He described Brisbane's win as one of the best wins of the decade!

At three quarter time he declared "Brisbane are right in this game" - we lead by 4 points at the time. Basil needs a serious session with Richie Benaud to learn when to silence is better than dribble.

The thing that annoys me the most about Basil is he clearly has certain players that he has a "bit" prepared for when they get the ball but he has no awareness of the appropriate time to use it. For example when a player gets a ball and quickly handballs it isn't the best time to crap on for 10 seconds about where he comes from etc. By the time he's finished the ball has been through another 4 players and someone has kicked a goal. Leave that stuff for stoppages ffs!

Whenever I hear Basil talk, it reminds me of this for some reason:

tumblr_lo5es5rMDC1qz9qooo1_r2_1280.jpg

Apr 8, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Toronto Blue Jays
The thing that annoys me the most about Basil is he clearly has certain players that he has a "bit" prepared for when they get the ball but he has no awareness of the appropriate time to use it. For example when a player gets a ball and quickly handballs it isn't the best time to crap on for 10 seconds about where he comes from etc. By the time he's finished the ball has been through another 4 players and someone has kicked a goal. Leave that stuff for never ffs!

EFA

Gubbz

Team Captain
Aug 1, 2010
36th Chamber
AFL Club
West Coast
He reminds me of a male version of Kelly Underwood - I think it's his tone of voice, he tries to sound excited but it just never comes across as real.

Ollie 22

Debutant
Jul 25, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
The thing that annoys me most about Basil is not that he makes mistakes with players names which everyone does from time to time (although obviously the better callers do it rarely if at all) but that I don't think I've ever heard him be genuinely enthusiastic or excited during a call. Even Hammer seems to love the game and get passionate about it and thus I rate him more highly than Baz who just bores me and doesn't even get up when calling big games, see the seecond Geelong v Hawthorn last year, thank god Dennis called the last passage of play! I know Baz played one game of WAFL (happy to be corrected here) so I thought he would love the game, hell maybe he does, but it sure doesn't seem like it when he is calling a game.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Basil played a few more than just the one game I think, but had to retire due to injury.

Why didn't Basil just say Cunnington was out for " Family reasons " as stated everywhere else.
No , Bas says he's out because " his father's ill "....all it needed was a " FIRST ON 7 " logo across the screen :rolleyes:

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Why didn't Basil just say Cunnington was out for " Family reasons " as stated everywhere else.
No , Bas says he's out because " his father's ill "....all it needed was a " FIRST ON 7 " logo across the screen :rolleyes:

Yeah. That's personal stuff that the public (incl media) have no business knowing. I'll never forget his "I don't know what Dean Cox was doing in there" comment when that footage of Ricky Henderson in the changeroom checking out his package was shown on Footy Central. Absolutely juvenile :thumbsdown:

Back