Basil Zempilas

TW_Gangee

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Good thing he's not a radio commentator. I don't think I could stand listening to his monotone voice. Show some excitement goddammit!

callas

Senior List
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Holy * I actually lost count on how many times he said that on his shitty little halftime report the other night.

That football update (or as the channel 7 execs like to call it 'footy central' lol) is the most dullest, repetitive, drawn out segment ever. If your looking for a cure for insomnia then this is for you!

Diamond Jim

All Australian
Aug 30, 2007
Near the fat Pie-eater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LUFC
The basic issues with Basil are the usual 2nd tier commentator problems..

- Doesnt do his research and gets basic facts wrong
- Tries to engage co- commentators a la McIverney but at inappropriate times of the game
- Feels he has to fill air time and witters on mindlessly about unrelated issues
- Witters pn about incidents during the game at the expense of what we are actually seeing
- Raises mid week controversy during a call without any real relevance....or takes the superficial line.

All in all he's as big an air head as Bartlett and BT without their understanding of the players view.

The calling stocks must be incredibly low in TV land for this guy to be getting a gig.

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
The basic issues with Basil are the usual 2nd tier commentator problems..

- Doesnt do his research and gets basic facts wrong
- Tries to engage co- commentators a la McIverney but at inappropriate times of the game
- Feels he has to fill air time and witters on mindlessly about unrelated issues
- Witters pn about incidents during the game at the expense of what we are actually seeing
- Raises mid week controversy during a call without any real relevance....or takes the superficial line.

All in all he's as big an air head as Bartlett and BT without their understanding of the players view.

The calling stocks must be incredibly low in TV land for this guy to be getting a gig.

Not trying to defend the guy, but Basil actually played football. Didn't play AFL, but had himself a nice little injury-prince career for West Perth in the WAFL.

If a footy career is what it takes to become an expert, then he's more credentialed than Bruce McAvaney and Anthony Hudson.

Diamond Jim

All Australian
Aug 30, 2007
Near the fat Pie-eater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LUFC
Not trying to defend the guy, but Basil actually played football. Didn't play AFL, but had himself a nice little injury-prince career for West Perth in the WAFL.

If a footy career is what it takes to become an expert, then he's more credentialed than Bruce McAvaney and Anthony Hudson.

Irrespective of his credentials...he doesnt display any understanding of the game....which is the point at hand.

Worth noting I also never said having experience in the game was necessary...thats your line of argument, not mine.

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Irrespective of his credentials...he doesnt display any understanding of the game....which is the point at hand.

Worth noting I also never said having experience in the game was necessary...thats your line of argument, not mine.

Just the inference I got from the line where you mentioned KB and BT.

Since you threw the illiterate caveman BT in there, I just assumed you were mentioning that he knows more simply because he played VFL footy.

My bad.

Diamond Jim

All Australian
Aug 30, 2007
Near the fat Pie-eater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LUFC
No
Just the inference I got from the line where you mentioned KB and BT.

Since you threw the illiterate caveman BT in there, I just assumed you were mentioning that he knows more simply because he played VFL footy.

My bad.

This might clear it up....

Basil = airhead who adds nil value as far as experience, knowledge or humour

BT/KB = airheads who add nil value as far as knowledge and humour, but sometimes apply football commonsense to match day incidents.

I can see both sides of the argument here but I reckon just give him one more season. I think he's actually improving.*

*This is totally a value judgement and I understand that.

budge27

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Redskins, Northwestern, Dodgers
Big Bad Bas was in fine form on Saturday with his 12th man references regarding the Richmond jumper - "they look great in their canary yellow , canary yellow? that's Richmond Gold my friend!" They had a couple of other 12th man refs straight after this one as well.

Not a mere cat

Debutant
Aug 2, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Turn on yesterday’s WC v Carlton game. Hear Basil’s droning voice. Turn off TV.

In a world of mediocrity that is the AFL media ‘talent’ he manages to stand out for all the wrong reasons. Just woeful

Back