Sport Basketball and hoop like stuff

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
Going to be a while with those guys to see if it'll work with them. I think KD has shown with the Warriors he can play in a system with a bunch of stars and play off the ball to allow others to handle it, Kyrie showed it a bit in Cleveland but he was still a pretty high usage guy there with Love biting the bullet and taking a big back seat and obviously Harden has been dribbling the air out of the ball for years in Houston. Going to take a while to find some chemistry and who's willing to make it work.

The big thing for them will be defense, I think. Even if they never get good chemistry they'll likely still score a ton. Losing Jarrett Allen is a big deal at the moment, because Deandre Jordan stinks. They'll def need to target a decent defense big via trade or the buy out market later in the season.

24 player initial squad. 9 contracted NBA players, 2 NBA Free Agents, 1 G League, 9 NBL, 3 Euro. How we break it down into 13 I hink we go (defensively):

1: Mills/Dellavedova
2: Thybulle/Exum/Goulding
3: Ingles/Broekhoff/Green
4: Simmons/Landale/Maker
5: Baynes/Magnay

Thoughts?

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
I know nothing about this dude besides hearing his name from time to time. What's the issue with him?
Just my opinion, but he's a bit of a flog and I'll admit I'm no fan of Perth either (probably due to their success).

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs

24 player initial squad. 9 contracted NBA players, 2 NBA Free Agents, 1 G League, 9 NBL, 3 Euro. How we break it down into 13 I hink we go (defensively):

Thoughts?

Ingles/Broekhoff more like for like but I’d have Green ahead of Ryan.
Possibly Landale/Maker ahead of Magnay in the 4/5 back up spots as well.
Offensively we probably play more like:
1/ Simmons
2/ Mills
3/ Ingles
4/ Thybulle
5/ Baynes
Which is where an Exum may get the nod ahead of Thybulle as we spread the floor a fraction better.

Ingles/Broekhoff more like for like but I’d have Green ahead of Ryan.
Possibly Landale/Maker ahead of Magnay in the 4/5 back up spots as well.
Offensively we probably play more like:
1/ Simmons
2/ Mills
3/ Ingles
4/ Thybulle
5/ Baynes
Which is where an Exum may get the nod ahead of Thybulle as we spread the floor a fraction better.
It's a 4 out offence either way. Landale is the next "big" in line, I just put him in his better position.

I love me some Matisse, and I think he'll become a real fan favourite with Aussies due to his personality, but I'd probably start Broekoff over him. Mills/Mills/Ingles/Baynes seem about right as the other 4.
Mills/Simmons?

Sixers/Nets on Sunday morning should be pretty fun. It probably doesn't mean a whole lot this early in the season, but it'll be nice to get some idea of how the Sixers can go about defending that 3 headed monster and how Embiid can find ways to take advantage.
Don't need to worry about sooky la la Irving

I get the feeling all 3 of them are going to make a very insufferable trio given their skill sets and personalities. Def going to be fun rooting against them.
As I'm sure you can tell, I really hate Kyrie.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
The Sixers would have been one of the most hated teams of all time if they got Harden with the foul baiting he and Embiid both do.
I’m a Sixers fan and I struggle with Embiid flipping and sulking....think I would have bailed if Harden joined, especially if Simmons left. He is a hard guy to admire, despite being an unbelievable player.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not really sold on Zion as the kind of franchise centrepiece for deep playoff runs. Obv going early here given how young and gifted he is but I dont't think his game will really translate into being effective at that level of play.
I’m just watching his game v Pelicans...it’s really hard to predict his trajectory because he is totally unique. He is actually the unicorn of all unicorns. Never seen anything like him before, doubt we see it again anytime soon.

I totally get what you are saying but he just finishes EVERYTHING when he gets to the hoop. And he still 20. And he’s not even in shape.

The only thing I do feel confident in accurately predicting - he’s needs to drop weight and get lean or he will really struggle to stay healthy.Imagine the strain that combination of size and explosiveness puts on the body.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich

Thoughts?
International ball, with the exception of USA and Spain, is normally a lot of smallish lineups.

Dont be surprised to see alot of minutes with Landale/Broekhoff as the nominal 5 and Ben simmons guarding the bigs.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
International ball, with the exception of USA and Spain, is normally a lot of smallish lineups.

Dont be surprised to see alot of minutes with Landale/Broekhoff as the nominal 5 and Ben simmons guarding the bigs.
It’s always an option but feel like having Simmons guarding bigs os kind of a waste. You want him wreaking havoc on the perimeter and causing maximum disruption.

Perimeter D was an issue at last WC. We defended the 3 ball and we defended the paint but our guards couldn’t stop the Spanish and French guards from
getting a step and making mid-range shots. Simmons and Thybulle have the speed and length to recover and challenge those shots.

Back