Sport Basketball and hoop like stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Herb Jones and Jose Alvarado make the Pels really easy to root for in this series.
Like the Pels.

Wonder what will happen with Zion? NOLA aint NYC but he must be thinking about staying….team is really clicking nicely. That said, more likely to go than stay I think. Signs are he doesn’t want to be there.

Like the Pels.

Wonder what will happen with Zion? NOLA aint NYC but he must be thinking about staying….team is really clicking nicely. That said, more likely to go than stay I think. Signs are he doesn’t want to be there.
Who knows. Hard to get a vibe from what he wants or the pels want or what Zion's handlers want. But it does seem like he's the kind of high profile star who will jet off at the first opportunity to a bigger market.

In all seriousness though, where do the Nets go from here? Their lack of Harris and/or Simmons means that their small ball 5 is way too easily exposed for height given that it's basically 4 short people and Durant. Drummond is as cooked as a Christmas Turkey from home, Griffin can probably play no more than 10-15 minutes a game now and Claxton is pretty average.

They need to trade in a 5 that can play long minutes and have an impact. Or basically deploy Simmons into that role.

In all seriousness though, where do the Nets go from here? Their lack of Harris and/or Simmons means that their small ball 5 is way too easily exposed for height given that it's basically 4 short people and Durant. Drummond is as cooked as a Christmas Turkey from home, Griffin can probably play no more than 10-15 minutes a game now and Claxton is pretty average.

They need to trade in a 5 that can play long minutes and have an impact. Or basically deploy Simmons into that role.
Lots of people have spoken about Simmons at the 5, but I think anyone who has watched his Sixers career would say he actually stinks at that role. Granted, the Sixers never really had any good guards to make it work, but defensively he actually kinda stinks as a 5, guarding genuine bigs isn't a big strong suit of his and it's a bit of a waste of his defensive talent to use him there regularly.

Lots of people have spoken about Simmons at the 5, but I think anyone who has watched his Sixers career would say he actually stinks at that role. Granted, the Sixers never really had any good guards to make it work, but defensively he actually kinda stinks as a 5, guarding genuine bigs isn't a big strong suit of his and it's a bit of a waste of his defensive talent to use him there regularly.
It's really tough for them because they basically have two centres who can manage maybe 15 minutes a game between them at most, and a third one who's pretty damn average.

Philly vs Heat is going to be interesting, Boston should be able to get over Milwaukee with Middleton missing the rest of the playoffs. The West looks a lot stronger though, hard to see anyone beating the Suns or GSW

Yeah idk about Sixers v Heat. The heat are the sort of team the Sixers struggle to defend. But, would imagine the Heat defend the Sixers similar to how the Raptors did, with a lot of guys coming at Embiid when he catches it or puts it on the floor so hopefully this series prepped them a bit for that and Harden keeps playing the way he did today where he looked less washed.

There have been times in his career where I thought Chris Paul talked the talk but didn’t always walk the walk when it came to playoff performance…..14/14 from the field for 33 points at 37 years of age is flat out ridiculous.

The man has some big cojones on him.

pinocchio-collapsed.gif

I'm not sure why any of us bother putting any emotional investment into sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big win by the Cs yesterday, didn’t have the run from the refs and had The Freak and Bucks crowd to contend with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Philly just keep doing it. As does Harden, the legend builds (going missing in playoffs).

Doc must be on very thin ice.
I'm not sure if I said it here last year, might have been on another forum.

But Embiid, Doc and Phillys decision to put the loss on one missed play from Simmons was a cop out. It meant they didn't have to look themselves in the mirror and sort their own s**t out.

It also meant when they failed again they had nowhere left to hide. But I'm sure they'll find a scapegoat and move on refusing to change.

I'm not sure if I said it here last year, might have been on another forum.

But Embiid, Doc and Phillys decision to put the loss on one missed play from Simmons was a cop out. It meant they didn't have to look themselves in the mirror and sort their own s**t out.

It also meant when they failed again they had nowhere left to hide. But I'm sure they'll find a scapegoat and move on refusing to change.
Did they though?

I mean for starters, they caught Embiid and doc at the worst possible time, right after the game when they would be exhausted and still feeling the raw brunt of emotion.

Also, here is the full quote in context from Embiid:
"I thought the turning point was when we—I don't know how to say it—but I thought the turning point was just we had an open shot and we made one free throw and we missed the other and then they came down and scored.

"We didn't get a good possession on the other end and Trae came back and he made a three and then from there down four, it's on me. I turned the ball over and tried to make something happen from the perimeter. But I thought that was the turning point."

Embiid was critical of Simmons, sure. But he was critical of himself and everyone else as well.

Matisse Thybulle didn't throw the toys out of the cot after Embiid called him out for missing a three throw.

The reality is that Simmons has a history of lacking a competitive drive (ask anyone who was associated with him at LSU and the Boomers). He was under a tonne of pressure due to not scoring in that series and deep down I think he knew he had let the team down on that play.
But instead of bucking up like Embiid did for next season, or taking it on the chin as fair criticism (like Thybulle), he demands a trade and continues acting like a mug lair at training camp (Doc kicked him out of training cause he had a phone in his pocket and was half-assing drills).

Should Doc and Embiid have answered the questions differently? Probably
Does Ben have a list of off court personal stuff happening which is likely exacerbating his behaviour and mental health? Sure.
Did Doc and Embiid actually throw Simmons under the bus? Not really, at least in context.
Is how Simmons has acted at all proportionate to what was said? Absolutely not, especially in context of the full quote.

Edit: for the record, I am a Bulls fan, so I have no real skin in this.

Did they though?

I mean for starters, they caught Embiid and doc at the worst possible time, right after the game when they would be exhausted and still feeling the raw brunt of emotion.

Also, here is the full quote in context from Embiid:
"I thought the turning point was when we—I don't know how to say it—but I thought the turning point was just we had an open shot and we made one free throw and we missed the other and then they came down and scored.

"We didn't get a good possession on the other end and Trae came back and he made a three and then from there down four, it's on me. I turned the ball over and tried to make something happen from the perimeter. But I thought that was the turning point."

Embiid was critical of Simmons, sure. But he was critical of himself and everyone else as well.

Matisse Thybulle didn't throw the toys out of the cot after Embiid called him out for missing a three throw.

The reality is that Simmons has a history of lacking a competitive drive (ask anyone who was associated with him at LSU and the Boomers). He was under a tonne of pressure due to not scoring in that series and deep down I think he knew he had let the team down on that play.
But instead of bucking up like Embiid did for next season, or taking it on the chin as fair criticism (like Thybulle), he demands a trade and continues acting like a mug lair at training camp (Doc kicked him out of training cause he had a phone in his pocket and was half-assing drills).

Should Doc and Embiid have answered the questions differently? Probably
Does Ben have a list of off court personal stuff happening which is likely exacerbating his behaviour and mental health? Sure.
Did Doc and Embiid actually throw Simmons under the bus? Not really, at least in context.
Is how Simmons has acted at all proportionate to what was said? Absolutely not, especially in context of the full quote.

Edit: for the record, I am a Bulls fan, so I have no real skin in this.
There's no probably about it. They absolutely should have.

The game didn't turn on one play like Joel said. I don't read that as a crack at Thybulle at all but I can see how you can do that if you choose to.

I've commented on this before in here. I'm comfortable with my assessment of Ben's exit from Philly. Which does include the acknowledgement that Simmons is no saint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back