Sport Basketball and hoop like stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looked at the groups...we have the group of death with Canada and Lithuania (top 2 teams go through).

If they are both at full strength then they are totally capable of beating us.

It’s the best team we’ve ever had but wouldnt say clearly second best in the world.

Spain still good, Serbia and Croatia always good and Canada very strong too these days.
The squad we have is around the same level as Spain and the Croats IMO, but I don't think Serbia will be as strong, they barely got through qualifying. Worry for Canada is that their NBA clubs rarely let them go.

Canada being ranked 23 in the world is a real wildcard as there's no way teams like Puerto Rico, Mexico or Latvia can really be considered better of the top 16.

The squad we have is around the same level as Spain and the Croats IMO, but I don't think Serbia will be as strong, they barely got through qualifying. Worry for Canada is that their NBA clubs rarely let them go.
It all depends on who plays. I’m assuming others will be at or close to full strength.Serbia for example wouldn’t have had Jokic in qualifying rounds....he makes it possible to beat anyone if he plays.

Why would that problem be unique to Canada?

Motum probably gets in the final squad due to lack of big man options but the issue for me is that Landale has better numbers in Europe, in what I think (not entirely sure) is a higher division.

If you add Broekhoff, Maker and Exum that squad is clearly 2nd in the world.
Eh, I wouldn't really worry about what's better with Lithuanian league vs Turkish league. Anadolu Efes just finished runner up in the Euro League final the other day to CSKA Moscow and are always a super strong team. Euro league stats are always a bit iffy anyway due to the playstyle being so different over there. I'm not huge on Motum but I think we tend to favour picking the more experienced types and he can shoot and is a pretty decent athlete which we need to compliment the guys we want with the ball in their hand creating.

It's pretty hard to say much of anything atm without knowing who is sending who. Like, if Serbia has guys like Teodosic, Jokic, Boban, Bjelicia, Bogdanavic and Micic as well who has really blown up recently and is looking NBA ready they start looking pretty formidable. Same with Canada if they have all their guys.

It all depends on who plays. I’m assuming others will be at or close to full strength.Serbia for example wouldn’t have had Jokic in qualifying rounds....he makes it possible to beat anyone if he plays.

Why would that problem be unique to Canada?
It's not but we have 9 of a possible 12 NBA players, one is injured, another has opted out due to the birth of his child, and the third wasn't allowed after his last, ah, incident with us. Canada's league isn't as strong as the NBL or even the G-League

It's not but we have 9 of a possible 12 NBA players, one is injured, another has opted out due to the birth of his child, and the third wasn't allowed after his last, ah, incident with us. Canada's league isn't as strong as the NBL or even the G-League
They’ll have a good chunk of NBA players. Pretty sure RJ Barrett will play as well - his Dad runs Basketball Canada.

It's pretty hard to say much of anything atm without knowing who is sending who. Like, if Serbia has guys like Teodosic, Jokic, Boban, Bjelicia, Bogdanavic and Micic as well who has really blown up recently and is looking NBA ready they start looking pretty formidable. Same with Canada if they have all their guys.
Exactly - can’t say much until squads are out.

Surprised to find out that Mirotic is Spanish. Throw in Rubio, the Gasol brothers and Ibaka and they start to look very good too. Especially in the front court

Is it just me or is Eric Bledsoe really overrated?
Depends what your expectation of him is. I get what you mean tho, his rep has really grown from being apart of a really good team, but the end of the day he's basically an above average guard who can play well at times and not a perennial all star type who I expect to be shining at this point of the season, especially against an elite defensive team like the Raptors.

Depends what your expectation of him is. I get what you mean tho, his rep has really grown from being apart of a really good team, but the end of the day he's basically an above average guard who can play well at times and not a perennial all star type who I expect to be shining at this point of the season, especially against an elite defensive team like the Raptors.
Yeah like they talk him up as if he's the second best to Giannis on that roster but like I would have Lopez clearly ahead and even guys like Hill and Ilyasova as more effective. Lack of support cost them HCA today

Yeah like they talk him up as if he's the second best to Giannis on that roster but like I would have Lopez clearly ahead and even guys like Hill and Ilyasova as more effective. Lack of support cost them HCA today
You can really raffle it off on any given night on who is going to be their second/third guy. It should be Middleton but he has a pretty hard match up both ways with Kawhi this series and that campaigner is a ******* robot so I have a hard time saying someone is garbage for under performing vs him. It's been a strength of theirs for the season to have that dynamic but it's something that can be a weakness this time of year if there's no real reliable 2nd and third guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can really raffle it off on any given night on who is going to be their second/third guy. It should be Middleton but he has a pretty hard match up both ways with Kawhi this series and that campaigner is a ******* robot so I have a hard time saying someone is garbage for under performing vs him. It's been a strength of theirs for the season to have that dynamic but it's something that can be a weakness this time of year if there's no real reliable 2nd and third guy.
That's why I don't blame Middleton, he's got the best defender in the league on him IMO.

That's why I don't blame Middleton, he's got the best defender in the league on him IMO.
I only saw the game in patches (watching on Kayo while at work) but my observations have Middleton adapting his game pretty well to cater for Leonard being in his face. He only put up 9 shots but had a rebound/assist double double to still contribute.

Van Fleet lighting it up was the difference (along with Leonard going beast mode in the 2nd half). The Raptors bench were really good (ok only 3 got minutes but still) with Van Fleet making the Bucks pay for continually leaving him open, the Bucks bench delivered next to nothing with only Hill doing anything at all.

Kawahi been guarding the freak hasn’t he? Haven’t watched today’s game yet.

Middleton and Brogdan both better than Bledsoe. Lopez too. He’s ok - good guy to have coming off the bench as he can get hot quickly.

Spain will be a significant challenge, but of course we can dream. We've earned the right to be at the pointy end of the tournament with strong wins over the Czechs and especially France showing we can't be taken lightly.

Our consistency within games has been our biggest problem, put in 2 four quarter performances and we can absolutely take this out. There's probably 3 other teams saying the same thing though.

Beat Lithuania and France - we can play with Spain. We match up well with Gasol...need Baynes to do what he did against France. Step outside, hit threes and take Gasol away from the paint.

Mills and Delly need to make life hell for Rubio.

Will be a super tough game but we can win.

Feel like Jingle Bells will be the key for this one. He has the height and reach on pretty much everyone except Claver, Gasol and Geuer and will be guarding their small forwards mostly.

Heard it mentioned last night that Landale would be playing NBA if it weren't for contractual obligations. Wonder when he'll start playing NBA?

Feel like Jingle Bells will be the key for this one. He has the height and reach on pretty much everyone except Claver, Gasol and Geuer and will be guarding their small forwards mostly.

Heard it mentioned last night that Landale would be playing NBA if it weren't for contractual obligations. Wonder when he'll start playing NBA?
Would think he'd get a look in after next season (Tho I have no idea of the terms of his current deal), especially if he improves his 3 ball, which it looks like he has a lot. He's def an NBA quality athlete but he'll need a decent 3 ball if he wants to get minutes in that league.

Probably when his contractual obligations expire :)

He shouldn't feel the need to rush into the NBA though. Look at what Ingles did, he really learned his game in Europe which meant when he made the move to the US he was ready, he knew his game backwards. If I were Landale I'd be speaking to Joe a lot about his experiences, lessons learned, and look to follow a similar path. If he's good enough, his time will come, and he wouldn't be getting paid peanuts in the Euro leagues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back