Competition Basketball Apparel Design Competition: Rockingham Flames (winner gets $250!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some of you may have seen a competition floated by teearrwai in the comps thread a few days ago. With his blessing I've created this thread outlining the competition details where you can help out a basketball club with their new apparel while also scoring some cash at the end of it.

The Rockingham Flames are a State Basketball League (SBL) club based in Rockingham, WA and @teeaarwai is one of the Directors at the Flames. In 2016, the Flames will be going through a new apparel supplier and want to create a whole new image for the club.

The best apparel 'pack' – consisting of a home uniform, away uniform, warm-up top, polo shirt and tracksuit – as judged by the club, will receive a $250 cash prize.

Guidelines:
  • Uniforms must feature the SBL logo on the left shoulder of the singlet (league rules) and should feature the club logo somewhere too. The home uniform must be black and the away uniform white.
  • The polo shirt should be black with red and burnt orange colours also included in the design, possibly incorporating a flames design. The WABL and/or SBL logo should be on the left breast.
  • I haven't received any specific guidelines for the warm-up top but it was mentioned in the original post. A previous warm-up top is included for your interest.
  • The club tracksuit (jacket and pants) should be predominantly black but again featuring the red and burnt orange colours.

Resources:

SBL logo
667702_1_O.jpg

WABL logo
3448710_1_L.jpg

Current Flames logo
3443718_1_L.jpg

Current home uniform
103774_1b2a18e336198604576dc0473f912bb5.jpg

Previous warm-up top
rockinghamflames_rss_photo_front.jpg

Thanks
Gibbsy

P.S. For the good of the competition if people have any relevant templates it would be great if they could be shared in this thread.

lolle that logo is pretty hilariously bad.

Gradient, stupid font, clipart everything.

I'll at least be doing a logo if I get time.

It was much more difficult than I was expecting to find a decent basketball template.

Anyone have a link? Photoshop would be ideal but i'd take a paint template at the moment.

FYI - El Scorcho... The current club logo was designed some 7 years ago by one of our WABL Juniors (Who was 13 at the time of designing it) who sadly passed away from Leukaemia just over a year ago. It was the clubs intent, with the blessing of his family, once diagnosed to remain with the Logo for 12 months after his passing as a mark of respect.

While I appreciate it is a very simple design in a lot of aspects, it does hold significant value for our club given the circumstances.

As Gibbsy said though, as a bit of closure for those who knew the kid around the club, it would be great to have some new ideas for a 'rebranding' so please - feel free to wow me with your designs... I am definitely looking forward to seeing what is created.

FYI - El Scorcho... The current club logo was designed some 7 years ago by one of our WABL Juniors (Who was 13 at the time of designing it) who sadly passed away from Leukaemia just over a year ago. It was the clubs intent, with the blessing of his family, once diagnosed to remain with the Logo for 12 months after his passing as a mark of respect.

While I appreciate it is a very simple design in a lot of aspects, it does hold significant value for our club given the circumstances.

As Gibbsy said though, as a bit of closure for those who knew the kid around the club, it would be great to have some new ideas for a 'rebranding' so please - feel free to wow me with your designs... I am definitely looking forward to seeing what is created.
Given the unfortunate circumstances involved with the creation of the logo, do you think it would be best to keep it a little longer? I would keep it longer, personally, but ultimately I think this should be your (and your club's) decision entirely.

Slight modifications to make it look a little more 'modern' would be fine, I think, but if you keep the basic essence of the logo then that's something your players can take a lot of pride in.

Woah.

I'm sorry.

If I was involved with your club I would have rallied to keep it as well in those circumstances. It's a shitload better than what i'd have been able to do when I was 13, and sentimental value always trumps everything else at sports clubs. Embracing that sort of thing is what makes a great community club a great community club.

I have started work on an entry which includes a new logo, but I totally understand if it's something you'd want to keep. I'll submit it either way, but the logo i'll use can probably be fairly easily swapped out for your existing logo.

We'd love an updated version of it (my only criticism of the existing logo has been the font and the outdated ball but it warms on you when you see and wear it as much as we do!) but will happily look at new logos too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you be able to disclose that designer's initials by any chance? Purely as a way to incorporate a small tribute somewhere in the logo?

No. His family have always said even the logo is hard for them as it's a constant reminder of what they've lost. With 3 younger siblings who are only just beginning junior representative basketball, it's something that I know the family would find uncomfortable however kind the gesture

No. His family have always said even the logo is hard for them as it's a constant reminder of what they've lost. With 3 younger siblings who are only just beginning junior representative basketball, it's something that I know the family would find uncomfortable however kind the gesture
No worries

Heh. What was your reasoning El_Scorcho ? Didn't want anyone to steal or appropriate elements of your design? It's certaintly a fair call, I just don't remember people ever concealing their designs when money and/or prizes were on the line in previous competitions (I.e. The twp ones)

Heh. What was your reasoning El_Scorcho ? Didn't want anyone to steal or appropriate elements of your design? It's certaintly a fair call, I just don't remember people ever concealing their designs when money and/or prizes were on the line in previous competitions (I.e. The twp ones)
Designathons were. But then again, that was a condition of entry

Yeah, basically.

I mean we conceal entries for the most part in the league style competitions and do so because it's important to maintain any competitive advantage you may or may not have. Especially when I'm one of the first entries and people can use my designs to gauge what they are up against.

The prize money (and the idea that a real life club might be wearing something I designed) just makes it all the more competitive.

I'll absolutely be sharing everything I did once entries are closed and I hope everyone else does the same.

Yeah, basically.

I mean we conceal entries for the most part in the league style competitions and do so because it's important to maintain any competitive advantage you may or may not have. Especially when I'm one of the first entries and people can use my designs to gauge what they are up against.

The prize money (and the idea that a real life club might be wearing something I designed) just makes it all the more competitive.

I'll absolutely be sharing everything I did once entries are closed and I hope everyone else does the same.
Sheer arrogance, you must rate your work so much :p

But nah, fair enough, if I do get something done (which I probably won't) I'll post it in here.

Sheer arrogance, you must rate your work so much

But nah, fair enough, if I do get something done (which I probably won't) I'll post it in here.

Haha, quite the opposite! I'm worried someone will take one of my ideas and do something far more impressive and better executed than me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back