MadTigerFan

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2010
Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Astros, Spurs, 49ers, Liverpool
Anyone still collect them? Just had a look on eBay and boxes of cards from 90-95 are pretty cheap. Was kinda surprised.

If I happen to walk into a Newsagent that still sells them, I'll probably by a pack. I think your general player cards are pretty cheap and always will be, unless you plan on keeping them for 50 years.

Still have a pretty decent collection from when I was young. Used to get some news ones every week from a Card shop that is now long gone.

Do they still make current ones?

MadTigerFan

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2010
Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Astros, Spurs, 49ers, Liverpool
Still have a pretty decent collection from when I was young. Used to get some news ones every week from a Card shop that is now long gone.

Do they still make current ones?
Selling some 2012/13 on eBay.

I haven't bought any for 17 years, thinking of buying some boxes of 1995 on eBay lol.

TurboBreuster

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State
I posted this in a thread back in February:

"I don't collect Basketball cards but as a primary/secondary student over that magical time around 1993-6 it was, along with playing basketball my number 1 interest. Out of boredom late last year I purchased two boxes of 10/11 prestige pros, my first bball cards since the late 90's. Anyway I think that I did quite well, my highlights:

Al-Farouq Aminu draft ny auto on fabric 6/10
Gordon Hayward draft ny auto on fabric 10/299
John Wall Prestigous Picks event warn swatch 142/499
Kobe Prestigous Pros event warn swatch 02/25
Kobe Hardcourt Heroes event warn swatch 192/249"

I have not purchased any cards since last year, but seriously today's are >>>>> than those cards from back in my heyday in the early to mid nineties. I'm unsure what this seasons are like but those Panini Prestige 10-11 boxes came with a guaranteed 2 Auto's and 2 Jersey swatch's per box. On another note I made the above post pre Linsanity and I have notice that I pulled a low numbered rookie parallel card, not a bad selection of cards from two boxes.

Oh what was the name of that mag ... Beckett! Back in the day how we'd look at the value of our cards decided by Beckett mag - i was a kid, but it seems adults didn't really bother to question who decides that these cards could actually have value.

I think i am minus 4 or 5 cards of a full set of '93 or '94 hoops in a box at my parents.

TurboBreuster

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State
Those were the days especially back in late primary school, playing hoops for every bit of recess and lunchtime and swapping cards during class. This was my favorite:

shaq.jpg

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
I have only ever collected one series of basketball cards - Panini Past and Present 11-12. My favorite modern series.
My favorite card that I own would have to be a Larry Nance signature. Close second would be a Landry Fields sig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TurboBreuster

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State

ClintonKing21

Draftee
Jun 8, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks New Castle United
What is the best type of brands to collect? especially the brand that produces the rarest cards.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What is the best type of brands to collect? especially the brand that produces the rarest cards.

If you're looking for rare cards, I would go with either Panini National Treasures or Upper Deck All Time Greats. Too bad they cost $500 each.

I personally think Panini is the brand to collect, as all the other card companies are unofficial card members. Panini has an NBA license.

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
Oh the memories! Upper Deck, Hoops, the bible Beckett mag. I still have all mine from 92-96

nba_einstein

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Basketball Jones team added some Aussie bloke to their team about a year and half ago. He's an odd guy, but he's funny.
They started up a segment on their podcast that runs every few weeks where Leigh opens a pack of bball cards from the 90s and gives a little bit background for each guy that comes up. It's good stuff.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Bump.

Found some old boxes of these, 1993-1997 vintage. Getting some serious nostalgia pains. For a ~10-12 year old I took very good care of the ones I liked. Got a few sheets of Penny and Jason Kidd, and a few others of famous players of the era.

Had a bit of a Google and it appears I've got a few worth small bikkies $5-20 assuming great condition and plenty worth next to nothing. Annoyingly I have a few very similar to the ones worth $100+ but not similar enough to be worth more than 50c.

If there are cards going in the hundreds of dollars there must still be people out there somewhere collecting these things.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember getting Shaq's rookie card and thinking one day it would be worth what MJ's one was (I think MJ's one was about $7k back then).

I think Shaq's is worth about $20.

Solid investment...

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I worked in a Card Shop from around 90-94. Was an insanely fun time to be a student and basketball fan working in a shop earning money while being able to talk about basketball right through your work.

Great time for players too.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I have only ever collected one series of basketball cards - Panini Past and Present 11-12. My favorite modern series.
My favorite card that I own would have to be a Larry Nance signature. Close second would be a Landry Fields sig.
Haha, how times have changed.

Pulled a couple of LeBron signatures from 11-12 Upper Deck Exclusive last year, they'd be just about my most valuable and favourite cards at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back