Basketball Cards

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember getting Shaq's rookie card and thinking one day it would be worth what MJ's one was (I think MJ's one was about $7k back then).

I think Shaq's is worth about $20.

Solid investment...

Nah MJ's Fleer rookie card was worth a hell of a lot more than $7 back then. Was worth like $1500+ if my old brain can recall rightly.

We had an unopened pack of fleer 87 that a friend bought for around $400 back in 94. He pulled Barkely's Rookie out of it and that meant with the other cards in the pack he ended up about $20 on the deal.

Jordan.jpg

I still have 3 shoe boxes and a couple of folders full from early to mid 90's. Thought they would be worth a shitload one day but they have actually depreciated. Have a heap of Hakeem cards but cashed in on my $100+ ones to buy a Sega Saturn I think.

Splash Brother

Senior List
Feb 15, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Have a look at the Panini Flawless box. Very fine cards with an even finer price tag that comes in its own briefcase!!

If only I could sneak it in the house without the wife seeing it. Lol

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I used to collect cards as a kid however i have no idea where they are. A couple of years shy of 30 now and im thinking about collecting again. What is the quality of cards like these days and what set is a good starting point. Ive been reading a bit about the prism series and they seem ok

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
A mint Jordan rookie card today is worth $100,000.

I have a shoebox of 90's card and I had a bit of a thing for Bogut when he got drafted I hoped he would be a superstar so I bought basically every one of his rookie cards.... I still have them, autographed ones, limited edition,I think one of them has a piece of his Utah jersey in it... I spent a few hundred dollars collecting Bogut rookies on ebay. Been gathering dust for 10 years, no idea what they are worth now....

Basketball cards are not a great investment.

Drama

Debutant
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
I've got a close to mint condition Jordan card from 1985, not sure on the value of it.

Scratch that, it's actually a fleer sticker from 86-87 worth about $600 in the condition it is in.

Last edited:

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Just had a look at what a box of cards goes for these days.

Unreal.

Might stock up on a few Upper Decks from the early 90's before inviting all my basketball card mates around for a few beers and a nostalgia session.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Bugger all.. I remember spending hundreds if not thousands trying to collect 90s upper deck or fleer common set when I was a kid... then I went to the market a few years ago and the card guy was selling whole sets for $5...

I don't understand how it's easier to buy mint '90s sets and boxes now than it was when they were current. Like, there's sellers on eBay who literally have dozens of some of the most popular sets available. Surely they didn't just buy in bulk and sit on them for 20 years? How are they even still in production?

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Saw a program on ESPN a month and half ago or so about mad card collectors. Was a good watch. Might have to buy a few packs:)

Shaq Beam Team was the s**t back in the day

Tip for anybody that didn't know if buying boxes from the states work out duty and tax charges from customs then compare price from buying local

It may or may not be cheaper but worth checking

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Anyone see that dude on Channel 10 news in Perth just then who said he had 150k basketball cards?

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
There's a resurgence in basketball cards because they have started truly making it lottery like in what a single card in a limited run set could be worth.

Apr 10, 2007
Magpieland!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Orlando Magic & Florida Panthers
is it worth dusting off my old collection? From memory i had about 50 Jordan cards. Some of them were "Inserts" if thats what they were called.

Yep, a heap of Basketball card pages on Facey, chuck them up on there and you will no doubt have some buyers mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back