Rumour Bassett to Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where to put this but the latest 'Ralphy rumour' is Bassetts had a gutfull of Essendon and is heading to port.

As was pointed out it would require a panel juggle or someone leaving.... So I'd imagine it's a stretch.

Not sure where to put this but the latest 'Ralphy rumour' is Bassetts had a gutfull of Essendon and is heading to port.

As was pointed out it would require a panel juggle or someone leaving.... So I'd imagine it's a stretch.

Hmmmm... interesting.

Earlier this year I was chatting to someone that knows Bassett from his time at Norwood and he told me that he wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Port.

Inb4 Essendon demand Hinkley and Voss in a trade...:rolleyes:

Someone mentioned this on here a week or so ago...

Hmmm

I don't know if Bassett and Nicks can co-exist on the same coaching panel. I'd be much more interest in a midfielder or forward to take up the role of midfielder/forward coach than in adding another defender.

I don't know if Bassett and Nicks can co-exist on the same coaching panel. I'd be much more interest in a midfielder or forward to take up the role of midfielder/forward coach than in adding another defender.
He might not be the right man but another strong voice wouldn't hurt though. As a successful head coach in his own right, I think Bassett can offer insights into more than just a defensive six set up. Admittedly I hated Bassett's game plan at Norwood but I like that he's prepared to speak up and not just be a yes man. I feel we need a strong and alternative voice for Ken to bounce ideas off.

Whatever, I'm pleased that the club is actively seeking to reinvigorate a coaching panel that has, like our entire on field football department, underachieved this season.

This one came up around a month ago, I posted it in the I've lost faith in Hinkley thread.

Either there is smoke or they are just recycling rumours.

Bassett doesn't suffer fools gladly and probably isn't the easiest guy to work with so wouldn't surprise me if he was looking to get out. Wonder if the crows will look at him. Rumour was he and Ricciuto weren't the best of friends.

You can guarantee if Bassett doesn't agree with something he will make it known.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one came up around a month ago, I posted it in the I've lost faith in Hinkley thread.

Bassett doesn't suffer fools gladly and probably isn't the easiest guy to work with so wouldn't surprise me if he was looking to get out. Wonder if the crows will look at him. Rumour was he and Ricciuto weren't the best of friends.

You can guarantee if Bassett doesn't agree with something he will make it known.
Bassett will more likely go to Crows now

Nicks seems like a relatively quiet "nice guy" - that may count against him in an interview for a senior coaching position.

The battle of egos between Bassett and Voss for the ear of the King so to speak, that I'd buy a lot of popcorn to watch. Can two egos like that work together productively?

For Bassett he'd avoid the coming perfect storm at Essendon and he'd be perfectly positioned at Port in two years time should a) the next Crows coach fail b) Ken achieve the dream of a flag and choose to retire or c) the opposite, that Ken unexpectedly shows his coaching ideas are a bit too much "one trick pony".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not a bad thing. I'd say there are pro's and con's for someone like Bass.

Looking at some of the pros/reasons we/he might look at it:
* the club previously was in negotiation with him for a development role (as recently as 2 years ago prior to him leaving for Essendon) so he was open to being at Port
* regardless of whether you like the style or not, within the SANFL limitations he was able to roll out a gamestyle that was effective
* as a player he opted to return to SA, with a young family, does he have a desire to do the same (he interviewed for the Crows, did missing this impact him)
* does he see working with someone like Ken (as well as Voss) as being a benefit
* I believe he's been looking after the forward line - has demonstrated an ability to coach a side, and was a backman so has an understanding of defence

His negatives are probably relatively well known:
* can apparently have a strong personality etc
* he's from Norwont
* where would he fit, would a shuffle be on the cards - ie Edwards to move to assist midfield, Josh Carr?? etc

I really can't see too many negatives in having someone like Nathan Basset around the place.
In a heartbeat!
You don't miss out on good people because of their 'attitude' you bring them in and exploit what they are good at whilst managing their faults. That's what makes great, not the safe option (like Sanderson was ironically meant to be).

I think this deserves its own thread.

We're not short on ex-Crows players at the club so I don't think there would be any major issue with Bassett joining us. There's a fairly good chance we're going to lose an assistant as other clubs start putting together their coaching panels for 2016. Nicks is odds on to be a senior assistant/coaching director and may even land a top job somewhere.

His negatives are probably relatively well known:
* can apparently have a strong personality etc
* he's from Norwont
* where would he fit, would a shuffle be on the cards - ie Edwards to move to assist midfield, Josh Carr?? etc

Possible other negative : may convince Hinkley that the Norwood ugly football plan is the way to go.

Possible other negative : may convince Hinkley that the Norwood ugly football plan is the way to go.
If it wins premierships I'd watch us play the most boring football in the world ATM.

Given there is minimum 2 and possibly 3 coaching jobs available at the end of the season, there is every chance Nicks gets one of those and a spot opens up.

Given there is minimum 2 and possibly 3 coaching jobs available at the end of the season, there is every chance Nicks gets one of those and a spot opens up.

I must admit I don't see it yet. I would have thought he'd be keen to move to a different part of the field, ie mids/forwards to broaden his hands on knowledge. I guess there's nothing to say that hasn't happened already and he did take the reins for a pre season game or two.

Gut says Dew is ahead of him at the moment, and I guess if depends if other assistants like Tudor, Bolton etc are in a race.
It will be interesting, I guess I just see his next move to the midfield either at Port or elsewhere.

I believe there will be a couple of changes in the coaching box at the end of the season simply for some fresh ideas, I won't complain if Bassett coming in is one of them.

Not too sure about Nicks, or Voss landing the number 1 gig anywhere, that bird may have flown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back