Rumour Bassett to Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

Quietly spoken bloke. Being a top bloke and brilliant player doesn't translate to being able to coach. Voss, Buckley, Hird, Tim Watson, etc.

One of the few things yet to catch up to it being a professional league in all regards is still equating ability as a player to potential ability as a coach. With the proviso that it wasn't someone not naturally blessed, but able to get the most out of themselves (someone like Kane Cornes if he wasn't following a different career path).

I reckon Bucks is a pretty good coach, he has the Pies progressing nicely. Voss is not too bad either, he had a pretty ordinary Brisbane side being competitive and it's too early to judge his time at Port.

Get The Hound to Port, just do it, he'd be a fine pick up and would complement our current coaching group exceptionally well. I didn't really like him when he was at the Crows, and coach of Norwood but for some reason he hasn't been anywhere near as floggish towards Port this year, perhaps there is something in that. Really like Bassett and Kane on Footy SA.

On Brendon Lade: I was trying to think of an example of where a ruckman has become a good head coach, and i couldn't think of one. I reckon Ladey could be the one to buck the trend, he should be on Crows radar, whether it be Senior Assistant or even head coach. His footy smarts as a player were first class.

On Brendon Lade: I was trying to think of an example of where a ruckman has become a good head coach, and i couldn't think of one. I reckon Ladey could be the one to buck the trend, he should be on Crows radar, whether it be Senior Assistant or even head coach. His footy smarts as a player were first class.

John Kennedy Snr is probably the last great coach who was a ruckman. Alan Joyce was a ruckman, shortish in his playing days, but only an inch shorter than a 6 foot 2.5 inch John Nicholls. Not sure if he was a great coach, or just coached a great Hawks side thanks to 1. Jeans being sick in 1988 and then 2. retiring in 1990 and Joyce took over in 1991 and another flag came. Since John Kennedy Snr retired other premiership coaches apart from Joyce have been
Mids Barrasi, Matthews, Choco
Defenders Parkin, Jewell, Jeans, Sheedy, Malthouse, Pagan, Roos, Worsfold, Thompson, Scott
Forward Walls, Longmire
Forward/mids Jezza, Blight, Clarkson

Last edited:

100% agree.

In Gav's case, he's close to being the most genuine/caring person that I've had the pleasure of being involved with. He just doesn't have that angry (possibly not quite the right word) streak that's required for coaching.
You can't be yelling at the religious private school kids you will scare them and the parents will freak out and pull funding. I saw a coach fire up and use the F word during a quarter time spray at *insert well known college with top football program* and he was pulled aside and told to ease up and go easy on them lol

As I said he doesn't have the cattle. He's too busy telling them how to handpass and kick, let alone try to talk structures to the 5 kids who show up for training.
Umm, no. I'm telling you from a season's worth of first-hand experience that he isn't a good coach, and furthermore, that he doesn't have the right personality to be a professional coach.

You can't be yelling at the religious private school kids you will scare them and the parents will freak out and pull funding. I saw a coach fire up and use the F word during a quarter time spray at *insert well known college with top football program* and he was pulled aside and told to ease up and go easy on them lol
That's a great story and all, but you're off the mark. My coach the year before Gavin was signed up was Sean Tasker (ex-North Adelaide and Crows), who was certainly more than happy to let rip when necessary. Note, Tasker was a hundred times the coach that Gavin was.

Oh and I can't think of a single person in my cohort that was actually a practicing Christian, so you're wrong there too.

Umm, no. I'm telling you from a season's worth of first-hand experience that he isn't a good coach, and furthermore, that he doesn't have the right personality to be a professional coach.
Fair call, I work with Gav and with many other schools like Sacred Heart, Prince Alfred College,
Rostrevor, St Peters, St Michaels etc etc and I see a lot of different football programs, players and coaches and IMO he would make a good development coach.

Get The Hound to Port, just do it, he'd be a fine pick up and would complement our current coaching group ......... Really like Bassett and Kane on Footy SA.

Wouldn't be against it - but would require a rejig of the assistant structures to fit him in.
Love Kane's honesty and perceptive insights on the radio - whether he would be a good coach or not is up for debate.

That's a great story and all, but you're off the mark. My coach the year before Gavin was signed up was Sean Tasker (ex-North Adelaide and Crows), who was certainly more than happy to let rip when necessary. Note, Tasker was a hundred times the coach that Gavin was.

Oh and I can't think of a single person in my cohort that was actually a practicing Christian, so you're wrong there too.
You/other lads might not be practicing christians or catholics
but many parents, teachers and school board members who attend these games are and don't like their lads copping a much needed spray. Especially at a lower end footy school like Pulteney who have enough trouble just fielding a first 18's who's players aren't even looking at being drafted. So there is a different more subtle approach rather than say at Sacred Heart or PAC where they have talented players lining up around the block to get a game. And even then it's a lot more subdued than say a West Adelaide or Port where football is the only focus.

Get The Hound to Port, just do it, he'd be a fine pick up and would complement our current coaching group exceptionally well. I didn't really like him when he was at the Crows, and coach of Norwood but for some reason he hasn't been anywhere near as floggish towards Port this year, perhaps there is something in that. Really like Bassett and Kane on Footy SA.

Ladey's my little cousin's under 10s coach at Ormond, true story.

they won a premiership last year too, definitely has credentials...

It seems we lack that real tactical mind, with Ken being more of a motivator and providing the overall direction rather than the minutiae.

Could Basset provide that tactical mind? Is there any reason to suggest he couldn't coach our forwards or perhaps take over from Shaun Hart? Or maybe backline coach and nicks to Harts role?

Who could we target for a forward line coach? An area we seem to struggle in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't you understand that all prospective coach threads are about people picking out their favourite ex-Port player and putting him up for consideration m8?

It's quite funny that as a kid growing up I really liked our fringe players - speaking of Mahoney, Schofield and Kingsley here and my favourite was Stuart Dew (Overdewww :thumbsu:). They've all gone on to do pretty well for themselves in carving out careers as coaches so it could actually work out pretty well.

Though a friend of mine who played at Subi really didn't get on with Schofield at all and pretty much left the club as a result of him. Friend in question is pretty headstrong and going off what Schofield has achieved I think he just couldn't handle the very utilitarian style (which is odd because as a player he actually flourished under him).

Sean Tasker. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a very long time.

Locally and I'm having to go back a bit here, Neil Kerley was a ruckman, although a 6 foot old days ruckman. Barry Goodingham coached Woodville to their first finals series, Neil Balme won a couple of flags at Norwood, Mike Patterson won a couple of flags at North (he did have Barrie Robran). Shaun Rehn coached Westies into a grand final but he's had a couple of dashes at the big show now. Other than that and a few examples of ruckman coaches who didn't do much, Wally May and Noel Teasdale I'm struggling.

They don't seem to get much of a look in at senior level. Maybe Lou Richards was right. ;)

Harry Madden was a good politician.

I did ask him about the '89 grand final one day.

He told me to **** off. :p

I bet you asked him Hey Sean in the 1989 grand final is it true that North had only one goal in mind? :p

Yes.

But seriously - I wouldn't mind James. I wish he had got some SANFL experience though. He coached Barossa districts to some great success and I heard from multiple players that they were glowing of him. Small fry stuff though.

I know a few people from the Barossa league who confirm that he is a pretty awesome coach/leader. I honestly almost rate the leagues up North higher than the SANFL in terms of skills as well, lol.

I've heard Bassett is a Selfish A-hole.. He wouldn't fit in at Port.

I've heard Bassett is a Selfish A-hole.. He wouldn't fit in at Port.
And I've heard differently from someone who has worked with him. My mate reckons he could be bipolar 2.

Whilst he seems he has chosen a career in media, Ling seems like a great fit - tactical mind, personality, media presence. Forward coach or director of coaching?

What about Neeld? Was an excellent midfield manager at Collingwood if I recall correctly with a tactical brain. I think he is coaching a development team somewhere in Vic. Is he someone we should approach?

Whilst he seems he has chosen a career in media, Ling seems like a great fit - tactical mind, personality, media presence. Forward coach or director of coaching?

What about Neeld? Was an excellent midfield manager at Collingwood if I recall correctly with a tactical brain. I think he is coaching a development team somewhere in Vic. Is he someone we should approach?
Ling is a dill. He didnt even give Ollie a vote in the 2013 Rising Star award. No excuse - he has almost no idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back