Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
You listed 3 Sicily, Howard and McGovern that are quality. If I were to run the same exercise for smalls each team would have at least 5. Collingwood have Noble, JT, Daicos, T Brown and Crisp selected post 50 and better than tripe like Chol and Nyoun. You’re wrong move on.

crisp selected by the pies post 50??? excuse me...que?

T Brown quality? que?

A system means learning from mistakes... not evident

A moment ago you were complaining that Collingwood used and talked about a system and that they're a load of crap. Now you've made up a definition of a system to say that systems are good and that Collingwood doesn't have one...

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
crisp selected by the pies post 50??? excuse me...que?

T Brown quality? que?

Crisp was a rookie pick with Brisbane in 2011. Im curious is English your second language? To repeat compared to tripe like Chol and Nyoun T Brown is quality.

noble, thomas....that made me laugh

What part exactly? In what way are they inferior to Chol and Nyoun 😂

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
A moment ago you were complaining that Collingwood used and talked about a system and that they're a load of crap. Now you've made up a definition of a system to say that systems are good and that Collingwood doesn't have one...

A system of accessing the players and learning from mistakes in past recruiting is a good thing. We dont learn from mistakes.

Systems where you take only talls or smalls or whatever high or low in the draft are smokescreens to cover making mistakes. Just pick a player at pick 61 who will play AFL ...tall, short, no legs, from a bad school, dark skinned, whatever. When the choice comes, pick the right player. If you make mistakes all the time picking that player, then you're no good at it...simple as that

Last edited:
A system of accessing the players and learning from mistakes in past recruiting is a good thing. We dont learn from mistakes.

Systems where you take only talls or smalls or whatever high or low in the draft are smokescreens to cover making mistakes. Just pick a player at pick 61 who will play AFL ...tall, short, no legs, from a bad school, dark skinned, whatever. When the choice comes pick the right player. If you make mistakes all the time picking that player, then you're no good at it...simple as that
Yeah I get the impressions that we haven't adjusted our criteria enough and have weighted the wrong attributes.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Crisp was a rookie pick with Brisbane in 2011. Im curious is English your second language? To repeat compared to tripe like Chol and Nyoun T Brown is quality.

You were listing COLLINGWOOD players who were picked by COLLINGWOOD beyond pick 50. Crisp was picked by brisbane as you noted above.
Fortunatey Brisbane picked him because we picked Paine, Gault and Lachlan Smith ahead of him. We also picked value picks in Marley Williams and Witts ahead of him but didnt think they were worth keeping on the list...

so thank god brisbane recognised Jack Crisp's talent even though they underrated it when it came to doing a trade.

Comprende? Entiende? No, hablo solo un poco d'inglese.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Yeah I get the impressions that we haven't adjusted our criteria enough and have weighted the wrong attributes.

well evidently a certain bloke is on a good wicket and gets a good swag of money and gets to go around the place and have tea and scones with the good families and brush shoulders with the teachers at the good schools, and he enjoys himself.

if you're in sales, you will recognise a fellow worker who stays in his comfort zone to do all his sales.... goes to the same stores... speaks to the same people. Has the same conversations....

well evidently a certain bloke is on a good wicket and gets a good swag of money and gets to go around the place and have tea and scones with the good families and brush shoulders with the teachers at the good schools, and he enjoys himself.

if you're in sales, you will recognise a fellow worker who stays in his comfort zone to do all his sales.... goes to the same stores... speaks to the same people. Has the same conversations....
If you're in sales, you're going to think it's all about effort. If you're in marketing, you're going to blame the tool.so what you're claiming to be evident isn't really evident.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If you're in sales, you're going to think it's all about effort. If you're in marketing, you're going to blame the tool.so what you're claiming to be evident isn't really evident.

well that may be true.... but I've seen a few people in sales who go out and go to the same places and meet the same people ....and when you ask about other areas, they say there's no demand there or its too hard to break the ice..

i think hine has been plying the same methods for over a decade and it was fine to get players for a "kick it and then contest it" type of game...the prototype being the jason clokes... but in modern footy grunt and solid citizen will only get you so far..

And its peculiar that he only likes to take risks in certain ways.... such as a player who was injured during the draft year a la shaz... ...but he wont take a risk on an indigenous player or a sudanese player... (and please dont give me examples because there are always exceptions) Over half the indigenous players who have played for the pies were from other clubs, two - egan and kirby - were local victorian indigenous. The rest were mostly from WA and he hasnt appeared to think they were worth the risk. I'm not sure if it's because of the good school criteria or the good family thing.

So we end up looking for our x-factor from irish recruits or father-sons... and the draft recruiting is to get the foot soldiers.

Can anyone clarify why we don’t get priority access to him as an NGA once he plays a game with the Chargers? It wasn’t addressed in the article and I have a theory, but I’m curious as to whether anyone knows.
Fairly sure NGA players have to be a part of your academy for a certain period of time to be eligible to be selected through the bidding process.

Tom Wilson
Playing down back and was very good on the weekend. Continues to develop his craft each week. Wilson might be on the verge of an AFL debut if an opportunity arises.

Problem Solved

well left

Premiership Player
May 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Problem Solved

Do we still need to elevate a Cat B rookie to play? Or can we elevate Wilson in place of Elliott?

I don’t mind the idea of adding this guy as a Cat B but not at the expense of two picks in the mid season. I feel like we’re more likely to find a future AFL player through the mid season draft than the Cat B list, particularly this year given not a lot of junior footy last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do we still need to elevate a Cat B rookie to play? Or can we elevate Wilson in place of Elliott?

I don’t mind the idea of adding this guy as a Cat B but not at the expense of two picks in the mid season. I feel like we’re more likely to find a future AFL player through the mid season draft than the Cat B list, particularly this year given not a lot of junior footy last year.

Yes Wilson will have to be Elevated 1st to Play

jc37

All Australian
Jan 4, 2007
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
I love this pick. Tohill has to go onto the main list/rookie list end of year if we decide to keep him. I believe he has the attributes to still make it if he clicks although time seems to be running out for him and I am 50-50 whether the same is for Wilson in terms of being Cat B next year. Very least he will be well worth a rookie spot. This means we have 1-2 spots on cat b for 2022. We have 1 A grade ruckman. We have a back up who would be a number 1 ruckman at other clubs and we have another worthy of AFL time (Lynch). Hopefully we can trade Lynch end of year for Daicos points. Cameron needs to stay as perfect back up for both Cox and Grundy. That means I think we will need another ruck to develop on the list. Grundy/Cameron 28-27 end of next year. 30-29 by the time this guy would have three years in the system. This guy looks like a prospect to develop. Watching Natanui you dont need super skills to be best ruckman in the game. This guy looks to have similar attributes to Natanui. Well worth the risk and a outside need going forward for 2022.

Given he is in Senegal. Is he really going to be able to get to Australia in the next 3-4 months and add in the 2 weeks quarrantine? I doubt it. May as well get him signed for 2022 as a Cat B and still use the mid season draft to pick up 1-2 quality rookies who would be 20-50 in this years coming draft.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.

Yes Wilson will have to be Elevated 1st to Play
They've changed that rule for this year, and Cat B rookies are now able to play at any time without the need for them to be upgraded: UPDATE: Locked and loaded: What your club's 2021 list will look like (afl.com.au)
1617891908946.png

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just checked and a decision on his eligibility would be at the AFL’s discretion because they need to be domiciled within our catchment zone for a period of 5 years. Obviously being in Senegal is outside our catchment. Unless there’s been a rule tweak there was no time requirement.

It’s a bummer because I’d rather we didn’t promote one of Tohill or Wilson if we intend to sign Faye.
I’m surprised the AFL haven’t allocated countries to AFL clubs. Surely there’s a big, angry Serb we could turn into a CHF

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hope he keeps the goggles. Looks like a superhero

Old man played footy wearing glasses. Think he’d suggest contacts.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's signed a two year deal last year but won't be officially upgraded until the end of this year.

I’d have thought we could upgrade either Cat B rookie to 1 of our vacant primary/rookie list spots at any time

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah. To sign him, we'd have to rate him more likely to make it than guys like Callow, as he will force us to main list a cat b and will cost us a preseason draft pick.

Still have another pick for a mid season selection and we wouldn’t see this kid till 2022.

Back