Phantom Draft Bastyy's 2020 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddie Ford to freo with there first pick, he recently asked for all footage/highlights on Nat Fyfe who he models his game style on, thoughts? Or who is more likely at our first pick
I’m a big Eddie Ford fan, he’s in my top 20 for a reason and has been on the brink of my top 10 for a while. I think he’s a special talent and one of those players that you can take on upside alone. I think if Freo want him he’ll be around our 2nd pick or potentially even later (Him not appearing in Twomeys top 40 is a sign he might go late). As for who I think is more likely I think the players around the mark are Archie Perkins, Jack Carroll and Brayden Cook. Perkins is a X-Factor on the half forward flank and could potentially develop into an inside midfielder. Carroll is an outside runner who has had a great year in the middle for East Freo. Cook is a wingman/half forward who can win a game off his own boot and has been a real bolter this year.

Thoughts on Kaine Baldwin?
I like Baldwin, enough has been said about his potential to be one of the best players of his draft but with 2 years out of footy there’s always going to be concern of what’s next for Kaine. I would take him around that 30+ mark but you’ve got to be brave to take him I think.

Josh Eyre has done very well at the combine by the looks of it. I haven't seen that much footage of him but I didn't mind what I have seen, seems like someone who I'll have to go over footage of again soon.

Someone that I have been reassessing lately is Liam McMahon, he's that in between size but I think he's got the speed and skill to make it at AFL level, he's slipped to the brink of my top 50 now at 54. Josh Treacy is another I've been watching closely again and he's had some impressive games as well, but I think I still have a few question marks around him.

For my November edition I'll publish my Top 50, been enjoying going back watching some of last years NAB League games as well as the SA and WA all stars games.

Power Rankings: November Update
Another month means another ranking update. Gone Top 50 this time to showcase some more players I like

1. Logan McDonald (Tall Forward/Western Australia)
2. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Tall Forward/Vic Country) (Western Bulldogs NGA)
3. Denver Grainger-Barrass (Tall Defender/Western Australia)
4. Elijah Hollands (General Forward/Vic Country)
5. Braedan Campbell (Inside Midfielder/Allies) (Sydney Academy)
6. Will Phillips (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
7. Riley Thilthorpe (Tall Forward/South Australia)
8. Archie Perkins (General Forward/Vic Metro)
9. Tanner Bruhn (Inside Midfielder/Vic Country)
10. Lachlan Jones (General Defence/South Australia) (Port Adelaide NGA)

11. Jackson Callow (Tall Forward/Tasmania)
12. Zane Trew (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia)
13. Nathan O'Driscoll (Inside Midfielderr/Western Australia)
14. Alex Davies (Inside Midfielder/Allies) (Gold Coast Academy)
15. Oliver Henry (General Forward/Vic Country)
16. Joel Western (General Forward/Western Australia) (Fremantle NGA)
17. Errol Gulden (Small Forward/Allies) (Sydney Academy)
18. Jack Carroll (Outside Midfielder/Western Australia)
19. Eddie Ford (General Forward/Vic Metro)
20. Reef McInnes (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro) (Collingwood NGA)

21. Heath Chapman (Tall Defender/Western Australia)
22. Nik Cox (Tall Defender/Vic Country)
23. Brayden Cook (General Forward/South Australia)
24. Finlay Macrae (Outside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
25. Bailey Laurie (Small Forward/Vic Metro)
26. Caleb Poulter (General Forward/South Australia)
27. Brandon Walker (General Defence/Western Austrlaia) (Fremantle NGA)
28. Tom Powell (Inside Midfielder/South Australia)
29. Isiah Winder (Small Forward/Western Australia)
30. Joel Jeffrey (Utility/Allies) (GC Academy)

31. Oliver Davis (Inside Midfielder/Allies)
32. Corey Durdin (Small Forward/South Australia)
33. Zach Reid (Tall Defender/Vic Country)
34. Sam Berry (Inside Midfielder/Vic Country)
35. Shannon Neale (Ruckman/Western Australia)
36. Kaine Baldwin (Tall Forward/South Australia)
37. Zavier Maher (Inside Midfielder/Vic Country)
38. Cody Brand (Tall Defender/Vic Metro) (Essendon NGA)
39. Conor Stone (General Forward/Vic Metro)
40. Kalin Lane (Ruckman/Western Australia)

41. Connor Downie (Outside Midfielder/Vic Metro) (Hawthorn NGA)
42. Brodie Lake (Inside Midfielder/Allies) (Gold Coast Academy)
43. Blake Coleman (Small Forward/Allies) (Brisbane Academy)
44. Patrick Walker (General Defence/Allies)
45. Jake Bowey (Outside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
46. Zac Dumensy (General Defence/South Australia)
47. Jack Ginnivan (Small Forward/Vic Country)
48. Sam Collins (General Defence/Allies)
49. James Borlase (Tall Defender/South Australia) (Adelaide NGA)
50. Liam McMahon (Tall Forward/Vic Metro)

ON THE BRINK: Luke Edwards/Max Heath/Carter Michael/Tom Highmore

Most players are pretty settled now, I'm mainly going over players outside of my top 50 and seeing where they fit. Borlase/Ginnivan/McMahon are 3 players that were outside of my 50 last month but have made their way in thanks to a renewed set of eyes

Another month means another ranking update. Gone Top 50 this time to showcase some more players I like

Most players are pretty settled now, I'm mainly going over players outside of my top 50 and seeing where they fit. Borlase/Ginnivan/McMahon are 3 players that were outside of my 50 last month but have made their way in thanks to a renewed set of eyes
I am hoping your positive views on Callow are justified and that he is heading our way. Not a lot of options available for us here for a tall forward.

I am hoping your positive views on Callow are justified and that he is heading our way. Not a lot of options available for us here for a tall forward.
I do rate Callow pretty highly but I feel like he fits the same sort of mould that Taberner does on our list for tall forwards. He's taking marks and playing deep. If we still had Hogan on the list I would probably take him but I think we need a more athletic tall forward to be our Hogan replacement in a way. Whether that be Neale at 31 as an athletic Ruck/Forward or Liam McMahon/Fraser Rosman/Josh Eyre later on in the draft as athletic tall forwards. Of course if he's available at 31 I would consider taking the punt

interested in your thoughts on why Zach Reid is so low in your rankings?

interested in your thoughts on why Zach Reid is so low in your rankings?
Reid I like but I have him in the group between 25-35 that I honestly think are interchangeable. I personally think the top 24 are a class above and don’t really see him breaking in there. He’s a good mark and a great kick but I haven’t had him standout to me in a match like other players above have. It may just be due to the fact he needs more development but I just feel confident in the players above him

Cox & Reid Top 20 yeah? Take out Callow & Western.
For me no. Cox I like but he is a very skinny kid and while he gets talked about as a potential tall forward he for me is much more suited to the backline, and as for a potential tall winger he has the talents but again he looks so much better in the backline, and I’ve got him at 23 because I think there are better tall defenders. In the long term I think Cox could be better than Chapman or DGB, but he’s still got a way to go, as for Reid I mentioned above why I don’t rate him as highly

Callow and Western I see as two players who could win games of their own boots. Callow sticks every marking opportunity that comes his way and I think he can still hold his own against defenders more athletically gifted than he is

Western is a competitive beast that has dominated at every level he’s played at this year. He was the best in a losing grand final side in the WAFL colts this year and the best in the WA All Stars game this year. If we had a carnival this year I think Western in the top 20 wouldn’t be so farfetched, similar to Liam Henry’s rise in 2019. He makes up for his size with his creativity and speed that allows him to take on midfield contests that blokes at similar sizes probably couldn’t.

I realised last year that its important to have people who have different ratings, it;
a) Shows a different perspective and gets people thinking differently
b) Is a reflection that someone has actually watched the kids and put their own thought into it
c) A better reflection of the talent. Even the pro's get it wrong sometimes (often?), who here can actually say Callow wont be best from the draft, there are players drafted 50+ every year that go top 10 in a re-draft

I'm not having a go at anyone, just encouraging readers of phantom drafts to appreciate different viewpoints so long as the phantom drafter that can back up their ratings with an explanation on why they like said player.

If Callow's that good, the Saints could do with him. Max Heath, I'm thinking, we will seriously look at. Shannon Neale you rate highly, what's the profile on him? & Heath whilst your at it?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid I like but I have him in the group between 25-35 that I honestly think are interchangeable. I personally think the top 24 are a class above and don’t really see him breaking in there. He’s a good mark and a great kick but I haven’t had him standout to me in a match like other players above have. It may just be due to the fact he needs more development but I just feel confident in the players above him

For me no. Cox I like but he is a very skinny kid and while he gets talked about as a potential tall forward he for me is much more suited to the backline, and as for a potential tall winger he has the talents but again he looks so much better in the backline, and I’ve got him at 23 because I think there are better tall defenders. In the long term I think Cox could be better than Chapman or DGB, but he’s still got a way to go, as for Reid I mentioned above why I don’t rate him as highly

Callow and Western I see as two players who could win games of their own boots. Callow sticks every marking opportunity that comes his way and I think he can still hold his own against defenders more athletically gifted than he is

Western is a competitive beast that has dominated at every level he’s played at this year. He was the best in a losing grand final side in the WAFL colts this year and the best in the WA All Stars game this year. If we had a carnival this year I think Western in the top 20 wouldn’t be so farfetched, similar to Liam Henry’s rise in 2019. He makes up for his size with his creativity and speed that allows him to take on midfield contests that blokes at similar sizes probably couldn’t.
I agree with your point of views, I have seen every Gippsland game in 2019 and Reid didn't stand out very often, a lot of his hype seems to be based on potential and height and less so on performance, not that I dont think there is no potential there, but for a first rounder you want a sure thing imo.

Cox I agree, he is a tall wingman, good speed, uses it well, very raw, he can float from wing into the forward line and use his height to take uncontested marks in the forward line which I saw a few times for VM and Northern, but he does look more impressive as a 200cm hbf too, at AFL he could develop a role like Hipwood potentially or in the backline as a Frost type with a better kick?, Chapman and DGB are my favourite KPDs as well

Callow has serious agility for a strong forw, which I think is very valuable for a forward and something that usually KPPs from basketball have like Roughead ect, he also has great hands and can mark through an opponents spoil or heavy pressure, he also goals from general play, so not reliant on mark, set shot, I think he is under rated and have said so all year, I liked him last year, there were a few games he was a star for Tassie Devils

Like you say Western keeps performing and standing up to every challenge put to him so far.

If Callow's that good, the Saints could do with him. Max Heath, I'm thinking, we will seriously look at. Shannon Neale you rate highly, what's the profile on him? & Heath whilst your at it?
Shannon Neale is an athletic ruck/forward who has the potential to play both roles at a high standard. He's got a strong leap, featuring in the top 10 for both the standing and running vertical jump nationally at the combine this year. He can use that in ruck contests but also to take a contested mark in the forward line and it's probably his deadliest weapon at this point in time. He's still a raw prospect though and would probably need 1-2 years in the clubs second tier before he really breaks into the best 22. I think his draft range is about 30 onwards but I can see a club reaching for him if they see the need, St Kilda's first pick might not be too bad of a spot for him depending on how well they rate their development.

Max Heath is one I have to admit I have little knowledge on, I've only seen him play in a few games but according to eDPS and a few other watchers his best games came in the off season during the practice matches that I don't think were recorded and I wasn't able to see live. From what I understand he's a competitive beast who's got good skills and can mark as well as tackle, but not having that endurance that rucks need in the modern day competition.

I agree with your point of views, I have seen every Gippsland game in 2019 and Reid didn't stand out very often, a lot of his hype seems to be based on potential and height and less so on performance, not that I dont think there is no potential there, but for a first rounder you want a sure thing imo.

Cox I agree, he is a tall wingman, good speed, uses it well, very raw, he can float from wing into the forward line and use his height to take uncontested marks in the forward line which I saw a few times for VM and Northern, but he does look more impressive as a 200cm hbf too, at AFL he could develop a role like Hipwood potentially or in the backline as a Frost type with a better kick?, Chapman and DGB are my favourite KPDs as well

Callow has serious agility for a strong forw, which I think is very valuable for a forward and something that usually KPPs from basketball have like Roughead ect, he also has great hands and can mark through an opponents spoil or heavy pressure, he also goals from general play, so not reliant on mark, set shot, I think he is under rated and have said so all year, I liked him last year, there were a few games he was a star for Tassie Devils

Like you say Western keeps performing and standing up to every challenge put to him so far.
I heard on the Freo board that apparently Cox was on SEN and said he wants to be a key defender at the top level, reaffirming to hear that from the man himself, but I do think clubs might try to mould him into that tall wingman position.

I really hope that 'Eddie Ford' slide's out to the Saints pick. I watched his highlight package, he's a long kick, some of his short range kicking is unusual, but affective. He's a strong mark & loves to throw a big tackle. And his speed off the mark is good. And he is a Saints supporter.

Eddie Ford to freo with there first pick, he recently asked for all footage/highlights on Nat Fyfe who he models his game style on, thoughts? Or who is more likely at our first pick

I haven’t seen this guy mentioned in all the draft talks, how come he is favoured to come to us?

I haven’t seen this guy mentioned in all the draft talks, how come he is favoured to come to us?
He approached the club requesting footage of Fyfe, saying that he wants to model his game on him. since then, there is a tenuous link. Also he looks useful forward, and someone who kicks goals could be useful if we ever get the ball forward.

He approached the club requesting footage of Fyfe, saying that he wants to model his game on him. since then, there is a tenuous link. Also he looks useful forward, and someone who kicks goals could be useful if we ever get the ball forward.
Draft hopefuls have done that to all clubs for years. The only link is that because he asked for that tape they may check him out more than another kid.

Draft hopefuls have done that to all clubs for years. The only link is that because he asked for that tape they may check him out more than another kid.
Oh for sure. Would have zero impact for recruiters. That the story found it’s way into the media is the key thing. A little bit of self promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back