Remove this Banner Ad

WA vs SA 25/09/21
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Not the worst game between WA and SA, a lot of skill errors but still a lot to work with from a recruiting POV

Arthur Jones was one I mentioned earlier in the week as someone who I thought had been doing really well for Claremont, got the call up and now everyone's talking about him. Fast, smooth and courageous are 3 words I'd use to describe him and I think he showed why he should be drafted this year, he'll get another chance to show off his skills in the grand final for the WAFL next week and hopefully he does so again in the 3rd game vs SA. I'd gladly take him late in the ND

Kaden Harbour was one who didn't get much of the footy but when he did he definitely made the most of his efforts. Had some really good kicks and I thought his work inside 50 and around the ball was great. He did have an awkward moment in the third when he got ran down by behind from an SA player but I think he showed enough today that as a rookie small forward you could do a lot worse

Jahmal Stretch was someone at the start of the game who I was initially disappointed with but the second half proved why he's a genuine chance to go in the ND. Speed, leap and x-factor all ooze in Stretch's play and he had some great highlights when he got his chance around the ball

Matthew Johnson's last quarter more then made up for his rather lackluster first 3 and was one of the reasons why WA won the game. One of the few good ball users today and honestly it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to call him BOG

Brady Hough was really good in the first half but towards the end fell off a bit. His athleticism and smarts are the two things that are going to get him drafted (potentially in the first round) and he deserves all the praise he gets

Kade Dittmar had an odd game. From the 3rd quarter onward he really turned on and did really well in the contest. He's a genuine bull but the issue with his game today was he kept throwing the ball on his boot rather then handballing it off to someone else or taking time to assess his options. I think he's a top 50 prospect but today he had quite a few things to improve on.

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera is a top 10 lock for me. Backed up his great performance with an even better one this week and his skills were as good as ever. Genuine gun and I don't think there's any better outside player in the draft

Arlo Draper looked really good before his injury. One of the few guys you can actually call a utility. If you're looking for a versatile player for a lot of upside you don't have to look much further

Lewis Rayson is one I expected more from but I don't think he necessarily did anything wrong today, I just wanted more from him. I'd be taking him in the top 50 and I think using him on the wing is where clubs will try to shoe horn him in

My main focus was on 2021 prospects but Adam D'Aloia, Jackson Broadbent, Jedd Busslinger and Kane Bevan were all really good today. Still wish we got to see Kobe Ryan today, who I think is SA's best prospect next year

A few other players had okay games. Richard Farmer started off well before fading out. Eric Benning showed why he's still a bit of a project but has genuine upside, Jordan Lukac was pretty similar in that regard. James Tunstill wasn't as good as last time but he's shown enough to get drafted now. Finn Gorringe isn't anything to ride home about but there's a lot worse players you could draft as a rookie/late pick. Lochlan Paton was another who started out okay but didn't do much besides that, could be a good pressure forward at AFL level. Jacob van Rooyen was good in defence but deserved to play in the forward line over Luke Polson who wasn't very good today.

Blayne O'Loughlin got a lot of cheap possesions but he had a few skillful moments and I'd gladly take him as a Cat-B if I was Adelaide. Harvey Harrison just at face value looked a pretty good player, nothing special about him but one who made me want to go back and watch his previous SANFL games. Zac Becker was one who I've put a lot of work into recently and I still don't think he's very good, was quiet today. Lukas Cooke had a few almost moments. Shay Linke has a good build for a midfielder but was another who's skills did him no favours today, like him as a rookie. Hugh Jackson was another who had some okay moments but was let down by skills or just went missing.

Overall, okay game, it's fair to want more but I think we learnt a few things today that can be taken to the draft. Next game should have Jesse Motlop, Corey Warner, Jack Williams, Josh Cripps, Bryce Watson, Max Chipper, Rhett Bazzo, Judd McVee, Josh Browne, Jed Hagan, Taj Woewodin, Jason Horne-Francis, Isaac Birt and Matthew Roberts all available for selection so hopefully some more talent on show

Not the worst game between WA and SA, a lot of skill errors but still a lot to work with from a recruiting POV

Arthur Jones was one I mentioned earlier in the week as someone who I thought had been doing really well for Claremont, got the call up and now everyone's talking about him. Fast, smooth and courageous are 3 words I'd use to describe him and I think he showed why he should be drafted this year, he'll get another chance to show off his skills in the grand final for the WAFL next week and hopefully he does so again in the 3rd game vs SA. I'd gladly take him late in the ND

Kaden Harbour was one who didn't get much of the footy but when he did he definitely made the most of his efforts. Had some really good kicks and I thought his work inside 50 and around the ball was great. He did have an awkward moment in the third when he got ran down by behind from an SA player but I think he showed enough today that as a rookie small forward you could do a lot worse

Jahmal Stretch was someone at the start of the game who I was initially disappointed with but the second half proved why he's a genuine chance to go in the ND. Speed, leap and x-factor all ooze in Stretch's play and he had some great highlights when he got his chance around the ball

Matthew Johnson's last quarter more then made up for his rather lackluster first 3 and was one of the reasons why WA won the game. One of the few good ball users today and honestly it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to call him BOG

Brady Hough was really good in the first half but towards the end fell off a bit. His athleticism and smarts are the two things that are going to get him drafted (potentially in the first round) and he deserves all the praise he gets

Kade Dittmar had an odd game. From the 3rd quarter onward he really turned on and did really well in the contest. He's a genuine bull but the issue with his game today was he kept throwing the ball on his boot rather then handballing it off to someone else or taking time to assess his options. I think he's a top 50 prospect but today he had quite a few things to improve on.

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera is a top 10 lock for me. Backed up his great performance with an even better one this week and his skills were as good as ever. Genuine gun and I don't think there's any better outside player in the draft

Arlo Draper looked really good before his injury. One of the few guys you can actually call a utility. If you're looking for a versatile player for a lot of upside you don't have to look much further

Lewis Rayson is one I expected more from but I don't think he necessarily did anything wrong today, I just wanted more from him. I'd be taking him in the top 50 and I think using him on the wing is where clubs will try to shoe horn him in

My main focus was on 2021 prospects but Adam D'Aloia, Jackson Broadbent, Jedd Busslinger and Kane Bevan were all really good today. Still wish we got to see Kobe Ryan today, who I think is SA's best prospect next year

A few other players had okay games. Richard Farmer started off well before fading out. Eric Benning showed why he's still a bit of a project but has genuine upside, Jordan Lukac was pretty similar in that regard. James Tunstill wasn't as good as last time but he's shown enough to get drafted now. Finn Gorringe isn't anything to ride home about but there's a lot worse players you could draft as a rookie/late pick. Lochlan Paton was another who started out okay but didn't do much besides that, could be a good pressure forward at AFL level. Jacob van Rooyen was good in defence but deserved to play in the forward line over Luke Polson who wasn't very good today.

Blayne O'Loughlin got a lot of cheap possesions but he had a few skillful moments and I'd gladly take him as a Cat-B if I was Adelaide. Harvey Harrison just at face value looked a pretty good player, nothing special about him but one who made me want to go back and watch his previous SANFL games. Zac Becker was one who I've put a lot of work into recently and I still don't think he's very good, was quiet today. Lukas Cooke had a few almost moments. Shay Linke has a good build for a midfielder but was another who's skills did him no favours today, like him as a rookie. Hugh Jackson was another who had some okay moments but was let down by skills or just went missing.

Overall, okay game, it's fair to want more but I think we learnt a few things today that can be taken to the draft. Next game should have Jesse Motlop, Corey Warner, Jack Williams, Josh Cripps, Bryce Watson, Max Chipper, Rhett Bazzo, Judd McVee, Josh Browne, Jed Hagan, Taj Woewodin, Jason Horne-Francis, Isaac Birt and Matthew Roberts all available for selection so hopefully some more talent on show

Good write up thanks. :thumbsu:

October Rankings Update (Top 50)
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
1633073654426.png

This is a big one, here's my top 50 for 2021.

Before I get to the rest of the 50, Hough is rising off the back of his amazing recent form, and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera has risen to the top 10.

The outside of the 30 is pretty close, 30-38 could all be swapped and 39-48 are all pretty similar. I've got a few players on the outer that I'm still not entirely sure on. Hugh Jackson and Marcus Windhager are two who I need to see more of before I consider them Top 50. 50 onwards is a bit tough because a lot of the talents after that I would consider rookie picks that have good qualities but aren't exactly complete. Some players aren't in my 50 due to my lack of exposure, the aforementioned Jackson and Windhager are in that group, with Paul Curtis, Ned Long and Kai Lohmann included.

Some other names from 50 onwards include Kaden Harbour, Jamieson Ballantyne, Toby Conway, Arthur Jones, Shay Linke, Luca Whitelum, Will Bella, Isaac Birt, Lukas Cooke, Bodhi Uwland, Blayne O'Loughlin, Jase Burgoyne, Lochlan Paton, James Wilis, Jai Serong and Bryce Watson

Swiggy

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
View attachment 1250749
This is a big one, here's my top 50 for 2021.

Before I get to the rest of the 50, Hough is rising off the back of his amazing recent form, and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera has risen to the top 10.

The outside of the 30 is pretty close, 30-38 could all be swapped and 39-48 are all pretty similar. I've got a few players on the outer that I'm still not entirely sure on. Hugh Jackson and Marcus Windhager are two who I need to see more of before I consider them Top 50. 50 onwards is a bit tough because a lot of the talents after that I would consider rookie picks that have good qualities but aren't exactly complete. Some players aren't in my 50 due to my lack of exposure, the aforementioned Jackson and Windhager are in that group, with Paul Curtis, Ned Long and Kai Lohmann included.

Some other names from 50 onwards include Kaden Harbour, Jamieson Ballantyne, Toby Conway, Arthur Jones, Shay Linke, Luca Whitelum, Will Bella, Isaac Birt, Lukas Cooke, Bodhi Uwland, Blayne O'Loughlin, Jase Burgoyne, Lochlan Paton, James Wilis, Jai Serong and Bryce Watson
Great list mate

would love Wanganeen- Milera and Amiss at freo

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Erasmus the small forward we need!

I am curious about Jai Serong and why he doesn't rate. Is he an example of Victorian players suffering from a lack of development and exposure?

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Erasmus the small forward we need!

I am curious about Jai Serong and why he doesn't rate. Is he an example of Victorian players suffering from a lack of development and exposure?
For me he’s one of those “jack of all trades, master of none” type players where he’s good at a few things but not elite, with his best trait probably being his marking. He’s the type of player you take as a rookie and just see where he goes, and would probably get picked of he tests well at the combine

November Rankings Update
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
November Rankings
1636344501992.png

1636345995061.png

Here's a full top 60, I think I've got a genuine idea of who I like and don't like in this draft and this is the most confident I've felt in my rankings in a while
The top 10 is set, the more I watch Mac Andrew the more I'm impressed by him and the more I feel like I would take a risk on him

Ben Hobbs and Campbell Chesser have been two on the top of my mind when rewatching footage and Chesser has impressed me a lot, while Hobbs has moved up slightly. I think Chesser moves really well and his skills are great, and the games I watched of him were really appealing from a draft POV

Butler is one that not everyone has in their top 20 but come draft night I think he goes first round. His athletic attributes plus genuine footballing ability is seriously impressive and he's an impactful player in both of his positions

Goater and Roberts are two players I have lower than some other draft watchers but I'm pretty happy where they are. On the eye test Goater looks good but I do think his kicking is a genuine concern and there are more instances of him turning the ball over than actually hitting a target. Roberts has been one where I enjoy his games from the start of the year but watching his games in the second half he looks like a completely different player. He looked like someone who was always falling behind others with his lack of speed and his ball use from the first half of the year disappeared

51-60 are all on the fringes of "players I would take in the national draft". Jones is one I've liked a lot this year and he's finally got his time in the limelight and taken it. Conway is an okay ruckman and one I feel could have a Hickey-esque career before ever becoming a top tier ruckman. Josh Browne is one I liked last year but his skills have been terrible and I don't see much of a position for him outside of the midfield. Harrison's speed and x-factor really excites me, and he's one of my favourites in the later half of the draft. Lukac is an athletic ruck-forward and comes across as more of a project than Eric Benning, but I think he's a project worth undertaking. Harbour is one I talk about a LOT, and I think he's a genuine pressure forward who can make a name for himself in the AFL

Outside of my top 60, there's a few who I think are worth a shot as a rookie; Luke Nankervis, Jai Serong, Hugh Jacksonz, Lochlan Paton, Luca Whitelum, Ned Long, Ethan Regan, Bryce Watson, Alastair Lord, Shay Linke, Isaac Birt and Anthony Caminiti

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Interesting you have Hobbs a fair bit lower than most, but have him rising.

Goater and Roberts the other outliers being significantly lower than a lot of others. (mind you Roberts is sliding on a lot of boards)
Hobbs is one who I think is good, but he's the type of player where you know what you're getting, and I don't know if he has the ceiling of others. Interestingly I think any other year I'd have him in my top 10 but if you look at my top 10 right now you've got 10 players with some incredibly high ceilings while also being quite good already

Goater is one I'm almost half expecting to be wrong on, I just don't see him being better than the players above him at this point in time. He seems all flash and no substance and he's one who I think could be the type of player who plays like a brownlow contender one week, and a VFL spud the next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
You also seem to rate Ward lost than some. What is your thinking there?
I think I'm actually pretty high on Ward, but for similar reasons to Hobbs I just think the 10 above him are better, although the group of Johnson/NWM and Ward is pretty interchangeable. I was pretty high on him earlier in the year before his Vic Metro performances and I'm pretty happy with how he's come along

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hey Bastyy,

Arthur Jones doesn't seem to have great stats at WAFL level, is it just a case of high-upside and AFL traits with him?

Like your Brady Hough call in the early 20's. Big talent from the limited footage I have seen of him.
I do think Jones is a case of high upside and AFL traits, but his stats have more to do with his role than anything. He plays that Brad Hill style role where you're not expecting him to rack up 20+ possessions a game and more hoping he uses his run and carry and covers a lot of ground while sending it inside 50. I don't know if he plays that role straight away at AFL level, probably starts out as a half-forward or a small forward, and he showed some good pressure inside 50 in his 2 state games

Yeah Hough is one who already looks a pretty complete package while also having some real potential to become a really good player in the AFL system. I was particularly impressed by the fact he got to step up to WAFL seniors and getting himself 22 disposals and from all reports not looking out of place. He's one I think can have some real impact early on next year

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I do think Jones is a case of high upside and AFL traits, but his stats have more to do with his role than anything. He plays that Brad Hill style role where you're not expecting him to rack up 20+ possessions a game and more hoping he uses his run and carry and covers a lot of ground while sending it inside 50. I don't know if he plays that role straight away at AFL level, probably starts out as a half-forward or a small forward, and he showed some good pressure inside 50 in his 2 state games

Yeah Hough is one who already looks a pretty complete package while also having some real potential to become a really good player in the AFL system. I was particularly impressed by the fact he got to step up to WAFL seniors and getting himself 22 disposals and from all reports not looking out of place. He's one I think can have some real impact early on next year
Thanks for the info.
I loved Hough's composure and decision-making- looked AFL standard. Good athleticism and lots of upside with his frame.

First Round Phantom Draft
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hey gang, I've been sitting on this phantom for a while (Laziness on my part). Here's what I went with in the end.

Pick 1. Jason Horne-Francis (Inside Midfielder/South Australia) (North Melbourne)
Pick 2. Sam Darcy (Tall Forward/Victoria) (Western Bulldogs) (Matched Bid)
Pick 3. Nick Daicos (Balanced Midfielder/Victoria) (Collingwood) (Matched Bid)
Pick 4. Finn Callaghan (Outside Midfielder/Victoria) (GWS Giants)
Pick 5. Mac Andrew (Utility/Victoria) (Gold Coast)
Pick 6. Josh Rachele (General Forward/Victoria) (Adelaide)
Pick 7. Josh Ward (Inside Midfielder/Victoria) (Hawthorn)
Pick 8. Matthew Johnson (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia) (Fremantle)
Pick 9. Ben Hobbs (Inside Midfielder/Victoria) (Richmond)
Pick 10. Jye Amiss (Tall Forward/Western Australia) (Fremantle)
Pick 11. Josh Gibscus (Tall Defender/Victoria) (St Kilda)
Pick 12. Josh Goater (Inside Midfielder/Victoria) (West Coast)
Pick 13. Josh Sinn (Outside Midfielder/Victoria) (Essendon)
Pick 14. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (Outside Midfielder/South Australia) (Port Adelaide)
Pick 15. Neil Erasmus (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia) (GWS Giants)
Pick 16. Darcy Wilmot (General Defence/Victoria) (Brisbane Lions)
Pick 17. Sam Butler (General Forward/Victoria) (Richmond)
Pick 18. Mitch Knevitt (Inside Midfielder/Victoria) (Sydney)
Pick 19. Tyler Sonsie (Inside Midfielder/Victoria) (Melbourne)
Pick 20. Jacob van Rooyen (Tall Utility/Western Australia) (Brisbane)

I don't plan on doing the second round onwards, because all signs point to it being a warzone with live trades and surprise picks. I'll update this over the next few days, and I'll try to talk about some talent in the later parts of the draft I really like

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Hey gang, I've been sitting on this phantom for a while (Laziness on my part). Here's what I went with in the end.

Pick 1. Jason Horne-Francis (Inside Midfielder/South Australia) (North Melbourne)
Pick 14. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (Outside Midfielder/South Australia) (Port Adelaide)

I don't plan on doing the second round onwards, because all signs point to it being a warzone with live trades and surprise picks. I'll update this over the next few days, and I'll try to talk about some talent in the later parts of the draft I really like
This is disgusting

Swiggy

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Think my top 10 is the same mate.

Polo342

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who do you have Fremantle taking with the first pick of the second night mate? Providing we keep it

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Who do you have Fremantle taking with the first pick of the second night mate? Providing we keep it
Probably someone like Arlo Draper, but I'd be trading it off for the highest bidder

MJ to Eagles please
He would have been the Eagles pick but what I'm hearing at the moment is that one of Freo, Richmond or the Hawks will pick him in the top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back