Draft Watcher Bastyy's 2021 AFL Draft Watch - Phantom V2 in post #154

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably someone like Arlo Draper, but I'd be trading it off for the highest bidder

He would have been the Eagles pick but what I'm hearing at the moment is that one of Freo, Richmond or the Hawks will pick him in the top 10
What would a likely trade be for that pick though? Id kinda rather keep it because we don't have another second rounder :(

Hey Bastyy

If Freo were taking a small forward with our later two picks who do you reckon we should grab?

What would a likely trade be for that pick though? Id kinda rather keep it because we don't have another second rounder :(
Either to a club who's willing to give up a 2022 first for a player they really rate, or a club with a few second rounders looking to move up

Hey Bastyy

If Freo were taking a small forward with our later two picks who do you reckon we should grab?
Given we've got a few good pressure forwards already, I'd go for someone more attacking like Jahmal Stretch. He hasn't been entirely consistent but as a small forward he has some great tools that can develop at the next level and has been an attacking threat this year for both WA and Claremont. If we were looking at a pressure forward then we'd be going for Kaden Harbour, one of the best pressure forwards in the draft and one I think will be a genuine AFL talent. Paul Curtis from Victoria is a chance to get to our picks and has a lot of upside. Corey Preston is another name I like that could be a good late pick/rookie option. Bailey Lambert as a mature age option is one of the few mature ager's I really like in this draft, but he plays more as a half forward if anything

A few other names include Richard Farmer from WA, Hugh Stagg from SA, Youseph Dib from Victoria and Eamon Wilkinson from the SANFL are players who could develop into good role players, but I don't rate them as highly as the players I already mentioned

Phantom Draft V2
Pick 1. Jason Horne-Francis (Inside Midfielder/South Australia) (North Melbourne)
Pick 2. Sam Darcy (Tall Forward/Victoria) (Western Bulldogs) (Matched Bid)
Pick 3. Nick Daicos (Balanced Midfielder/Victoria) (Collingwood) (Matched Bid)
Pick 4. Finn Callaghan (Outside Midfielder/Victoria) (GWS Giants)
Pick 5. Mac Andrew (Utility/Victoria) (Gold Coast)
Pick 6. Josh Rachele (General Forward/Victoria) (Adelaide)
Pick 7. Matthew Johnson (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia (Hawthorn)
Pick 8. Jye Amiss (Tall Forward/Western Australia) (Fremantle)
Pick 9. Josh Ward (Inside Midfielder/Victoria) (Richmond)
Pick 10. Neil Erasmus (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia) (Fremantle)
Pick 11. Josh Gibscus (Tall Defender/Victoria) (St Kilda)
Pick 12. Ben Hobbs (Inside Midfielder/Victoria)(West Coast)
Pick 13. Josh Sinn (Outside Midfielder/Victoria) (Essendon)
Pick 14. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (Outside Midfielder/South Australia) (Port Adelaide)
Pick 15. Blake Howes (General Forward/Victoria) (GWS Giants)
Pick 16. Darcy Wilmot (General Defence/Victoria) (Brisbane Lions)
Pick 17. Josh Goater (Inside Midfielder/Victoria) (Richmond)
Pick 18. Mitch Knevitt (Inside Midfielder/Victoria) (Sydney)
Pick 19. Tyler Sonsie (Inside Midfielder/Victoria) (Melbourne)
Pick 20. Jacob van Rooyen (Tall Utility/Western Australia) (Brisbane)

Quick revision of my top 20 phantom given Twomey's draft is tomorrow. Amiss goes at 8 rather than 10, Erasmus goes to Freo, Howes goes to GWS, Johnson goes to Hawthorn, Hobbs goes to West Coast and Goater goes to Richmond

Won't play out like this at all given we have live trades, and clubs would be desperate to trade up for the likes of Hobbs, and maybe Goater

Nice work.

Reading some things today that West Coast are perhaps eyeing trading pick 12 to perhaps strengthen the draft hand they have.

In this scenario if Hobbs was still there and Johnson/Erasmus/Amiss/Rachele all gone that seems like we might be open to an offer from a club wanting him specifically.

Although we apparently have had multiple interviews with Sinn and we might take him instead. To be honest I’d be quite happy if this is how it ended. Hobbs would fit an immediate need.

Nice work.

Reading some things today that West Coast are perhaps eyeing trading pick 12 to perhaps strengthen the draft hand they have.

In this scenario if Hobbs was still there and Johnson/Erasmus/Amiss/Rachele all gone that seems like we might be open to an offer from a club wanting him specifically.

Although we apparently have had multiple interviews with Sinn and we might take him instead. To be honest I’d be quite happy if this is how it ended. Hobbs would fit an immediate need.
Your pick is in a really good spot because you'll either get a really good trade for a slider, or a bargain like Hobbs/Johnson/Erasmus. I can see all 3 of those guys making immediate impact for your team next year

End of year wrap
And that's the draft year done! It's been fun this year and the work I've put in has felt very rewarding. In the end only 4 of my top 50 didn't get picked up (Morgan Ferres, Kade Dittmar, Charlie Molan and Jahmal Stretch)

Instead of a full analysis, I'll just talk about the prospects I was happy that got picked up

Arthur Jones (Western Bulldogs): A wonderful pick for the Bulldogs. Went from an outsider to a draft chance from one great game and absolutely deserved to be picked up here. Has worked super hard for Wesley and Claremont and is one I have high hopes for next year

Harvey Harrison (Collingwood): Awfully close to my top 50, and in the end if I tampered with my rankings any longer he would have been in there, but this is just a kid who I think has all the tools to succeed. Speed and x-factor are what you get from him and he's a wonderful value pick for the Pies who went with a South Australian flavour this year

Sam Banks (Richmond): Tassie boys don't get drafted as often as I'd like, but Banks absolutely deserved a second round spot. If he wasn't injured it actually wouldn't be that surprising that he went here, given his playing ability. So excited to see this boy develop in the AFL system this year

A few of my favourites missed out, but it's time to move on and think about next year. I'll give myself some time away from even looking at draft related stuff, as I've been super busy these past few weeks trying to figure out my rankings, and I'll spend sometime on looking at my personal analysis this year and figure out how I can improve myself in terms of talent identification

I'll have a thread for 2022 early next year, and I'm aiming to make my work through the year more consistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back