Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
I just saw that. **** me, I can acknowledge that supercars is a higher standard than state HQs. But with Whincup being an all time great and to do that just affirms to me why touring cars is the lower level of professional motorsport. I'm amused when guys on any forum embellish their abilities/records.

The only slack I'd cut Whincup in this is the onboard footage from behind showed him on the picks multiple times so could be a misjudgement due to how slow Cini was going. Said that, it's not an uncommon occurrence for Whincup who has a propensity to drive with a recklessness and arrogance towards other drivers. It's a mindset that a lot of great champions have exhibited - Senna and Schumacher* for example - so it's not necessarily a lack of ability.

And also because they’re in a completely different car to what they are used to.

Would you rather drive in a foreign car at a familiar place or a in a familiar car at a foreign place?

No doubt confidence plays a part whether it be overconfidence in the knowledge of car or track.

I'd say the internationals perhaps show more respect to the mountain for which they're unfamiliar and know it's reputation for being unforgiving.
The locals are probably overconfident for knowing the circuit so well and having conquered it before but are getting bitten by cars that are perhaps less forgiving of their mistakes than their usual drives are.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
The only slack I'd cut Whincup in this is the onboard footage from behind showed him on the picks multiple times so could be a misjudgement due to how slow Cini was going. Said that, it's not an uncommon occurrence for Whincup who has a propensity to drive with a recklessness and arrogance towards other drivers. It's a mindset that a lot of great champions have exhibited - Senna and Schumacher* for example - so it's not necessarily a lack of ability.

I'd say the internationals perhaps show more respect to the mountain for which they're unfamiliar and know it's reputation for being unforgiving.
The locals are probably overconfident for knowing the circuit so well and having conquered it before but are getting bitten by cars that are perhaps less forgiving of their mistakes than their usual drives are.
Well said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
And also because they’re in a completely different car to what they are used to.

Would you rather drive in a foreign car at a familiar place or a in a familiar car at a foreign place?

No doubt confidence plays a part whether it be overconfidence in the knowledge of car or track.
Foreign car, familiar place because that place is Bathurst. A number of these guys have driven GT3 cars quite a bit in the last few years.

It's not their first rodeo

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
0017C7D6-C1D0-4B25-9E4D-5187A91009F2.jpeg

If we’re lucky, the patch near Orange might make it just before the end. It could also go further down like the red patch below Bathurst did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back