Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 1, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, West Perth, All Blacks
500x_custom_1281013971103_bac.jpg

After the success of their first game, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Warner Bros. has officially announced the sequel, Batman: Arkham City. It will be developed once again by Rocksteady Studios and is due for release in Spring 2011 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

The sequel, in development by Rocksteady Studios, has players taking Batman into Arkham City, the new maximum security home for all of Gotham City’s criminals. This new prison is described as a heavily fortified walled-prison in the heart of Gotham City.
The game will include story that “draws together a new all-star cast of classic characters and murderous villains from the Batman universe, as well as a vast range of new and enhanced gameplay features to deliver the ultimate experience as the Dark Knight,” according to the press release.

UPDATE #2: As commenters have pointed out, the new Game Informer indicates Catwoman will be playing a part in the game and is that Two Face in the background too?

500x_gicover.jpg

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/08/batman-arkham-asylum-sequel-coming-fall-2011/

[youtube]9Zkd0tbbuyI[/youtube]

Shame, I was kinda hoping for the game to span the whole of Gotham, not just another Asylum sorta thing.

I'm sure it'll be good though, if they treat this one as well as they did the first.

Hmm, yeah it could be better, but at least it's not Arkham Asylum 2, as originally speculated, considering it's not even set in the Asylum any more.
It's not a bad play on words actually. Because instead of Arkham being the Asylum this time it's transferred to the city being the "Asylum". Therefore 'Arkham City'.

That Game Informer cover is absolutely awesome too. Will probably buy the mag on the back of that.

Would've liked a new trailer though, not just updated logo's and such.
Shame, I was kinda hoping for the game to span the whole of Gotham, not just another Asylum sorta thing.

I'm sure it'll be good though, if they treat this one as well as they did the first.
It'd be a terrible idea to move to an open world. As much as it'd be great to see, the idea of opening it up just wouldn't transfer to an open world game. It'd have to be re-designed completely from the first which was so awesome as it was and the world wouldn't be as explorable as you'd actually think, battles would also become more outside and boss battles would end up being fairly terrible too (there's a reason 90% of open world games have near exclusive combat outdoors, it's because there's not enough room to create expansive indoor combat areas, so it would instantly be taking out the penguin hideout we're most likely going to see as well as other potential enemy hideouts).

Not to mention the Unreal 3 engine really isn't built to be a fully open world engine either, so it'd be most likely up to 4 years before we would've seen the sequel.

I'd much rather them follow the technique of the previous game and this way we can get a much more contained but still hopefully awesome experience. It'll still be relatively open like Arkham Asylum was, but still will be done in a linear style so that the games potential can be fully explored.

First screenshots of Arkham City...and it looks GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Although I don't know if I like or dislike the toning down of Harley Quinn's looks (leaning more to dislike at the moment from first looks anyway), Two-Face looks simply fantastic. And Catwoman's cleavage is...hmm...interesting?! Here's hoping for zipper failure and some pop out.:)

Batman's costume looks to be the exact same though, which I will say is disappointing. I know this is like 2 seconds after Arkham Asylum finished, but still would've liked a bit more of an improvement to it's looks.

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/b...a-20100901161030844095/g-20091214174528870002

reckon itll look that good on console? or would those be pc shots
They'd basically be cleaned up press shots. It'll look a bit better on consoles than Arkham Asylum did.

They'd basically be cleaned up press shots. It'll look a bit better on consoles than Arkham Asylum did.

and arkham asylum looked freakon incredible!
def one of the best looking titles i've ever played. not to mention one of the best games!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 'city' setting has huge, huge potential.
Good that they're keeping the detective aspect to it as well, much truer to Batmans history.

I'm a bit different HBK, I like Batman's suit being the same, but I've always been a fan of the Grey suit.

Good that they're keeping the detective aspect to it as well, much truer to Batmans history.

I'm a bit different HBK, I like Batman's suit being the same, but I've always been a fan of the Grey suit.
It's not that I don't like it. It's a good suit and very understated (compare to nipples and yellow logo's of past Movie suits anyway). But I would've liked to see a bit of an upgrade overall for the sequel, just sort of expected something new for a new game, you know?

Yeah I agree that it's good Batmans outfit hasn't changed.

Imagine a new gay looking inFAMOUS 2 Batman *shudders*.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back