Movie Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24 release date)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow this was bad. The only thing saving it from Uber-fail of the Decade status is that I enjoyed the Doomsday creature pyrotechnics in the final battle. Terrible character design and everything, but those fireworks were sure pretty. Some of the supporting cast are made to do some real heavy-lifting for their mortgages here. Rare that you see a mega-blockbuster feel so redundant and begging to be put out of its misery.

I'm tolerant of Man of Steel and Justice League as at least they are fairly watchable crap films, but this took the structurally contained pointless cutsceney stuff from 300 & Sucker Punch and cut it loose to bleed into the very fabric of a film already considerably burdened by universe-obligations (comparable to its heroes).

Jeremy Irons was in both this and Assassin's Creed in 2016. Poor fella.
Don't watch the theatrical cut it removed so many scenes that the story was completely compromised.

If you watch Zack Snyder's directors cut of Dawn of the Dead he has a little intro in which he explains how happy he is to finally share his true artistic vision for the movie. Then you watch the movie and the only difference from the theatrical version is that he added two more sex scenes.
Thanks

I'll add this to the watch list

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Don't watch the theatrical cut it removed so many scenes that the story was completely compromised.
If you can't make something halfway coherent in 2.5 hours, then you frankly don't deserve a longer look. I get that sometimes the director's vision gets theatrically compromised, but not at 2.5 hours. Ample time to make it work. Even a 2.5 hour theatrical cut like Kingdom of Heaven still had much to offer, whereas this gives little hope.

If you can't make something halfway coherent in 2.5 hours, then you frankly don't deserve a longer look. I get that sometimes the director's vision gets theatrically compromised, but not at 2.5 hours. Ample time to make it work. Even a 2.5 hour theatrical cut like Kingdom of Heaven still had much to offer, whereas this gives little hope.

I mean that's entirely plausible to happen. Justice League is a good example for this. The theatrical cut was coherent at least, but Zack's vision and film, is almost a completely different film to what Joss Whedon cooked up.

The Ultimate cut is a much much better film, it doesnt feel hacked up and doesnt have missing plot lines everywhere.

If they released the UC in cinemas it would of had a better reception.
Probably should have just done this but longer runtime can mean few sessions (as well as deterring people).

Every now and then you get a post production salvage job that works (ie Gladiator, Rogue One) but most of the time the film gets panned anyway. May as well just cop it and move on rather than releasing something incoherent.

Or better yet, they could have just written a two hour film then filmed it rather than writing a three hour film that had to be hacked apart.

Zack Snyder did a live commentary of BvS: Ultimate Cut stream last night.
As a concept, lockdown is really a great excuse for industry people to catch up on neglected film commentaries. Hopefully a lot more come out of this than we'd normally see. Of course many films are currently anywhere from initial scriptwork to final post work at the moment, so there are still a lot of business preoccupations going on, but hopefully some studios are coordinating some increased commentary work as we speak. After all, there will probably be a couple months eventually when new releases are scarce, and so revisiting older films is an increased phenomenon.

(For the very small amount of people interested)

Zack Snyder did a live commentary of BvS: Ultimate Cut stream last night.

Thanks for that, I am slowly working my way through. A bit difficult to follow as the camera is on him the whole time, but will persist. Have you watched it through?

I finished it last night. I recently rewatched BVS on TV, so I just listened to the commentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m about half way through, I feel it would have benefited if it was in the traditional format of the film being shown with the director commenting over the top.

Anyway, still insightful at times but many moments where some his knowledge comes up a bit short (obviously he’s a huge Miller fan and TDKR is his main inspiration).

His and Terrio’s failure to grasp the core concepts of Superman along with the attempt of making 3 films into 1 was the downfall of this project IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back