sherb

Hall of Famer
Sep 28, 2003
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Swans
I fully understand what you are saying but I just feel Hobart's low AFL crowds will still be used against them when it comes to hosting games for our own team.
If people can't understand why Hobart is getting low crowds when it is dished up crumbs (like NM v Adelaide today) then they are beyond help.

mrmonkey

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If people can't understand why Hobart is getting low crowds when it is dished up crumbs (like NM v Adelaide today) then they are beyond help.
A balmy 10 degrees in Hobart and a heavyweight clash between North melbourne and Adelaide. If I was a neutral supporter I couldn't think of anything better to do on a Sunday afternoon.

sherb

Hall of Famer
Sep 28, 2003
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Swans
Hobart is getting the grand spectacle of 15 vs 18 today, between two clubs with 5 wins between them and probably 39 supporters combined in the state.
Why would a neutral go and watch that?
I've never understood the implied "big picture" argument that is implied here either - ie if Tasmanians want an AFL side they need to go and support the dross that is being dished up to them at present.
Since when do supporters (of clubs or the game in general) attend matches simply to push the "big picture"?

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It
Hobart is getting the grand spectacle of 15 vs 18 today, between two clubs with 5 wins between them and probably 39 supporters combined in the state.
Why would a neutral go and watch that?
I've never understood the implied "big picture" argument that is implied here either - ie if Tasmanians want an AFL side they need to go and support the dross that is being dished up to them at present.
Since when do supporters (of clubs or the game in general) attend matches simply to push the "big picture"?
Would have to be Hobart's lowest ever AFL crowd today.I knew it would be a low crowd but considering North has nearly 6000 Tassie members it is still very poor.

BobbyMorri

Community Leader
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth

Premier goes into bat again. Saying it is now or never.

interesting, he mentions the Jackjumpers a lot. he mentions them as a success and that, if the AFL does not act, the Next Richo could easily be shooting hoops instead.

fargothegreat

It's time for Tasmania to join the AFL.
Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond

interesting, he mentions the Jackjumpers a lot. he mentions them as a success and that, if the AFL does not act, the Next Richo could easily be shooting hoops instead.

Gemba research from 2019 indicated that by the end of the current decade basketball fanaticism levels will have just about drawn level with AFL in the state — and this research was before the Jackjumpers, so it could actually happen sooner than that.

Not giving us a team will probably have a similar result to not giving Canberra a team in the 80s, but with basketball instead of rugby the threat this time.

Hodgey 15

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

How dare the minions of Tasmania question his Royal Highness King Eddie.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

weewilly

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
I have a feeling when the the Clubs vote on this soon will knock back Tassie or push it at least 5 years down the road and insist they start building the new billion dollar stadium right away!

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have a feeling when the the Clubs vote on this soon will knock back Tassie or push it at least 5 years down the road and insist they start building the new billion dollar stadium right away!
Wouldn't be entering for another 5 or so years anyway.

Tasmanian saint

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

A 7% increase in basketball participation in 12 months that’s a huge number imagine the state of football in Tasmania if they say no within 5 years football would be completely screwed

Macca180

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Basketball and soccer always going to have high participation rates... lots of kids don't like being hit.

AFL and NRL you got to like, enjoy, cope with the constant bumping and tackling. It's not for everyone.

Some get one big hit or a broken jaw, nose, collar bone etc they never come back.

But yes Tassie need a license fast before interest is lost down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kranger

All Australian
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
I think this ABS data shows why Tasmania has such a hard sell to the AFL for why they should have a team.

b50f8b07bef44dc62303a86ee6b3abbb.jpg

3698c56ec027c1f7c64fd1e6eaf69937.jpg

kranger

All Australian
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
And this map comparison.
3.5m people in SEQ.
0.6m in Tasmania.
The four big urban centres in SEQ (Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Toowoomba) are closer together than Launceston is to Hobart.

57698de966d9a1b4ab89f1bcc3258fac.jpg

Hodgey 15

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did Rockliff just say on WIN news Tas government wouldn't be upping dollars for Tassie team?

Remove this Banner Ad