Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For starters, there was no requirement to build a new stadium at all to begin with. It wasn't part of the business case or the AFL's 'independent' review of the business case. Goal posts moved.

It was also all supposed to be decided last year. Goal posts moved.

Your belief that the AFL has a 'take it or leave it' attitude incorrectly assumes that the AFL has nothing to lose if they don't give Tasmania a team.

People think Tasmanians are exaggerating when they say football is very sick in this state, but go and check the facts. Football fanaticism (the people who spend $$ on footy), crowds and participation have all been declining over the last decade, whilst other sports (basketball in particular) are rising rapidly in all of these areas.

Not to mention the millions of dollars each season the AFL would lose in government funding.

Same can be said for a lot of areas around the country.

Society generally is getting less active, and with the rise of media, interest in local activities (not just sports) has lessened. I would argue that it's not a good trend in a great many ways. That doesn't mean adding a top tier sports team (AFL or otherwise) is the answer. At best it would slow the decline, and even then that would mostly be in the areas close to where the team is situated.

The AFL, quite rightly, is looking after it's own interests. Would it like football to prosper throughout Tas, of course it would. But the real question for them is...Is that the best use of it's resources?

It's a little sad that you've made 15 000 posts on a site about a game that almost nobody in the entire world seems to like.
EFA. But yes it is sad to no longer really like something that I liked for so long. If Tasmania gets a team of course I would be happy and support it. But I'm a passionate AFL supporter that the AFL doesn't need. They can go chase their plastic Hollywood wannabe fans on the Gold Coast who are too busy following the Kardashians on Instagram, stepping on discarded needles and getting their 45th dose of cosmetic botox to care about a Victorian-centric sport
like AFL. Im not serious about Gold Coast stereotypes but the AFL is never going to be popular there.

Last edited:
For starters, there was no requirement to build a new stadium at all to begin with. It wasn't part of the business case or the AFL's 'independent' review of the business case. Goal posts moved.
Because Gutwein opened his big mouth and raised expectations. If he'd kept quiet, I doubt the AFL would have made such a demand.

Your belief that the AFL has a 'take it or leave it' attitude incorrectly assumes that the AFL has nothing to lose if they don't give Tasmania a team.
I disagree. It's more like assuming that what the AFL has to gain from a Tasmanian team is not significantly greater than what they have to lose.

Who cares about the rest of the world? I'd say most of us here don't.

If you're just here to moan about how hard done by you are, fine, but it's kinda pitiful.

They can go chase their plastic Hollywood wannabe fans on the Gold Coast who are too busy following the Kardashians on Instagram, stepping on discarded needles and getting their 45th dose of cosmetic botox to care about a Victorian-centric sport
like AFL.
Those comments are both ugly and utterly clueless. It's very apparent that you haven't set foot anywhere on the Gold Coast outside Cavill Avenue for a long time.

Im not serious about Gold Coast stereotypes but the AFL is never going to be popular there.
Please, lend me your crystal ball so I can look up next week's lottery numbers.

It was also all supposed to be decided last year. Goal posts moved.
This, 100% this. The Tasmanian Government made the mistake of giving them an inch more than they were expecting, and the AFL is trying to bleed us dry now.

What is going on with the stadium anyway? The premier says he is committed to it, but it just wont be included in the bid?

Insufficient details to include it.

Saying "We intend to build a stadium" just wouldn't cut it.

They'd want location, capacity, corporate facilities, profitability (for the club), etc. etc. etc. and clearly they just can't provide that at the moment.

This, 100% this. The Tasmanian Government made the mistake of giving them an inch more than they were expecting, and the AFL is trying to bleed us dry now.

I don't think it's fair for the other 18 clubs to foot half the bill for your new stadium to be built, there is no profit or actual tangible benefit for them and my club to do so.

Other clubs have to think about their bottom line and finances since the Covid pandemic started.

Now is not the right time to bring a team in an Tasmanian team. Trying again in 10 years time or so, when there is a more stable global economic climate.

Having a team from Tassie right now is a luxury the AFL and the 18 other clubs cannot afford at this point in time.

What is going on with the stadium anyway? The premier says he is committed to it, but it just wont be included in the bid?
They can't include it in the bid because they haven't secured federal funding yet. The Federal government won't provide funding without a licence being issued.

The government is saying that they will meet the AFL's stadium demands, but not in time for it to be included in the bid documents due in the next couple of weeks.

Yes if we miss out the government will be to blame not the AFL. I think the government if getting a bit lazy and doesn't want to do the work required which will sadly cost us in the end.

I completely disagree here.

The work is being done. The Government could never say 'yes we'll spend whatever you want'. It has many urgent needs & many anti football/anti anything types screaming at them every day.

Their are many needs & the key is to balance those needs. Clearly they cant fully spend on health, it can be a financial black hole & many people want it all for free & without taking any care of their personal health.

Playing some hard ball with the AFL is playing the game to the public.

The Federal Infrastructure Minister Catherine King was very positive to a new facility being built. It is a big economic driver of jobs & tourism, both inter & intra state. An AFL licence was noted as being key to it being funded.

So the ducks are lined up. Positive Carter Report, positive on the team & stadium funding.

Its now really up to AFL HQ & Clubs. The media pressure will be growing on them.

Walk away from around $600mill in funding (team & Stadium) & the virtual death of the Australian game here, or we proceed with a 19th team.

Insufficient details to include it.

Saying "We intend to build a stadium" just wouldn't cut it.

They'd want location, capacity, corporate facilities, profitability (for the club), etc. etc. etc. and clearly they just can't provide that at the moment.
I don't think it's fair for the other 18 clubs to foot half the bill for your new stadium to be built, there is no profit or actual tangible benefit for them and my club to do so.

Other clubs have to think about their bottom line and finances since the Covid pandemic started.

Now is not the right time to bring a team in an Tasmanian team. Trying again in 10 years time or so, when there is a more stable global economic climate.

Having a team from Tassie right now is a luxury the AFL and the 18 other clubs cannot afford at this point in time.
The Stadium was not part of any bid. Its been brought up only recently, at the 12th hour as it were. Moving the goalposts as usual.

Who said the AFL has to pay 1/2 of the stadium cost?

The two big black holes in Australian finances are Health costs & AFL clubs spending like drunken sailors.;)

The Tassie bid is well funded, the Stadium issue is well under control with the Feds comments.

Maybe the AFL clubs could increase their incomes themselves or just limit their wasteful spending in these 'uncertain' times. Maybe STOP using Tasmania as an excuse for their own incompetence & inability of many to pay for their own existence. Even some older clubs basically exist on charity.

If expansion is a problem, why did the AFL expand the AFLW? Their are no where near as many women players as men, so why increase the teams if things are so tough??????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walk away from around $600mill in funding (team & Stadium) & the virtual death of the Australian game here, or we proceed with a 19th team.

$600m in funding....but how much of that benefits the AFL and the other 18 clubs?

At best, the 10*$10M means the AFL will mean the AFL needs to commit less to funding to the club...not a win, more a case of it being less of a loss.

'virtual death of the Australian game here'.

Rather over dramatic don't you think, and as I said elsewhere, this isn't just a Tas problem. Would an AFL club suddenly reverse all of that, or is more required? What is that 'more', and where would it come from?

Any proposed team isn't for right now, it's for at least 5 years' time.

We have stadiums. You don't need to. You have completely missed the point I was making.
The independent assessment revealed that we wouldn't need a stadium to be profitable, but now we're expected to have one.
Goal posts are shifting. Bellerive is fine.

$600m in funding....but how much of that benefits the AFL and the other 18 clubs?

At best, the 10*$10M means the AFL will mean the AFL needs to commit less to funding to the club...not a win, more a case of it being less of a loss.

'virtual death of the Australian game here'.

Rather over dramatic don't you think, and as I said elsewhere, this isn't just a Tas problem. Would an AFL club suddenly reverse all of that, or is more required? What is that 'more', and where would it come from?

The AFL have already indicated a TasTeam will increase media rights. $600mill is most definitely of benefit to the game & the AFL. Its called GROWTH.

You can have growth of the game, especially in an historically solid Aussie Rules area by having an AFL club. It stimulates community attention & support. Look at places like Townsville & Geelong to see how a professional club works for a community. That's your answer.

Dramatic?, I'd say more of a demonstrable fact If you've been in football here over the last 20 years.

We have stadiums. You don't need to. You have completely missed the point I was making.
The independent assessment revealed that we wouldn't need a stadium to be profitable, but now we're expected to have one.
Goal posts are shifting. Bellerive is fine.

Well that is fair enough.

Kind of get the feeling Gil probably jumped the gun promising Tassie would get their own team/license initially without consulting the other 18 clubs first.

He meant well, but not sure if he realized the amount of reluctance/opposition at club level to brining in Tassie19 (I am led to believe there are considerably more clubs than Gold Coast, Hawthorn and Sydney being opposed to Tassie coming in ,only Collingwood seems to be publicly supportive of Tassie18 AFAIK)

Now Gil has had to do a backlife on his promise to Tassie and make it conditional Tassie has to build that new indoor stadium to get a license.

It's just a political Hodgepodge between Gil and the Clubs now, if Gil has any real power, he would probably just stuff it and let Tassie in regardless of new stadium or not, but alas The Clubs have put Gil and the commission in a position to make an ultimatium that will make it very difficult if not impossible for the Tassie govt and people to accept the terms for entry into the AFL.

Worst part in all of this is I can see a lot of Taswegians walking away from the game (just not the AFL but footy in general) if I expect their license will not be granted.

So that may well cost us sad
Well that is fair enough.

Kind of get the feeling Gil probably jumped the gun promising Tassie would get their own team/license initially without consulting the other 18 clubs first.

He meant well, but not sure if he realized the amount of reluctance/opposition at club level to brining in Tassie19 (I am led to believe there are considerably more clubs than Gold Coast, Hawthorn and Sydney being opposed to Tassie coming in ,only Collingwood seems to be publicly supportive of Tassie18 AFAIK)

Now Gil has had to do a backlife on his promise to Tassie and make it conditional Tassie has to build that new indoor stadium to get a license.

It's just a political Hodgepodge between Gil and the Clubs now, if Gil has any real power, he would probably just stuff it and let Tassie in regardless of new stadium or not, but alas The Clubs have put Gil and the commission in a position to make an ultimatium that will make it very difficult if not impossible for the Tassie govt and people to accept the terms for entry into the AFL.

Worst part in all of this is I can see a lot of Taswegians walking away from the game (just not the AFL but footy in general) if I expect their license will not be granted.
A fair few clubs have come out in Support of it with Collingwood actually one of the teams against it.

.. and UTAS stadium is even finer. We have two grounds that are perfectly acceptable - if they are good enough for Hawthorn and North, then they are good enough for the Devils. The AFL are being !@#$ - as usual.

I was glad to see the Tas Government confirm that a new stadium was NOT part of the bid.
As long as it doesn't cost us a team.

.. and UTAS stadium is even finer. We have two grounds that are perfectly acceptable - if they are good enough for Hawthorn and North, then they are good enough for the Devils. The AFL are being !@#$ - as usual.

I was glad to see the Tas Government confirm that a new stadium was NOT part of the bid.

Those are boutique stadiums like Mars in Ballarat which may be okay for two or three games a season each, but not a full time venue(s) for an standalone AFL team

I don't agree necessarily with the logic and added expense of having a roof built on in it, but Tassie does need a better, more professional and bigger capacity stadium if they want their own team.

Those are boutique stadiums like Mars in Ballarat which may be okay for two or three games a season each, but not a full time venue(s) for an standalone AFL team

I don't agree necessarily with the logic and added expense of having a roof built on in it, but Tassie does need a better, more professional and bigger capacity stadium if they want their own team.
The proposed capacity of the new stadium is only 3,000 more than current capacities, so I dont see the need to rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back