Competition Battle of the Avatars

Remove this Banner Ad

Intro - What is your avatar and why did you choose it?
Hello friends, Bob here again.

When you're setting up a new profile in an online forum such as BigFooty, there's a few things you can do to personalise your appearance to other users. The three main ones are user name, location and avatar. There's been much discussion about user names, including the thread Lady Godava created in 2003(!!!) called What's In A Username?, How did you come about with your username and What does your username mean? Location is a constant topic as well, from qooty team back stories to State of Origin contests and everything in between. I'm sure avatars have already been discussed somewhere on this site, but that's what I'm going to point my spotlight on for this thread.

Over the course of this week we're going to be doing two things here. The first is an invitation, and the second is a competition.

For those who don't recognise it, my avatar comes from a Chappelle's Show skit called the Wrap It Up Box. I chose it towards the end of the 2016 or 2017 AFL season when my beloved Freo were not doing too well, and I just wanted the season to be over. Like my new avatar says, "Yo the sign is real simple B. It says wrap it up. Wrap that sh*t up, B."

I would like to know about your avatar, your current one and/or your regular one because let's be honest, they're prone to change. From avatar bets to special events to just being bored and feeling like something different, the only constant thing with avatars is change. So my invitation therefore is this: What is your avatar and why did you choose it? Please post in this thread with your answers because like me, I'm sure there's a few people wanting to know the meaning behind your avatar. We are nosy campaigners after all!!

Stay tuned for part two of this pre-finals week Avatarpalooza - the competition. Many of you will get a kick out of it...

Over the course of 2018-19 I developed an unhealthy obsession with Trivago girl aka Gaby Miller which is why my avatar is Gaby Miller's head photoshopped onto an AFL player's body that also has the Warriors guernsey photoshopped on as well.

What have I become.

Either omgfridge or Supersuns made this for me.

The main part of the avatar is obvious it is a Goose in GWS gear. The little detail is the Pepsi can, we were debating preferences and I prefer Pepsi to Coke, this enraged (hyperbole intended) the 2 of them who couldnt believe I was team Pepsi so this was added to the avatar.

My previous avatar is a picture with me holding the actual premiership cup. My mate arranged through a contact of his some GF tickets, but he bartered in exchange we agreed to a heap of interviews and media stuff. One of which was an interview at Docklands with some internal guys that had us holding the cup. I also had do a interview for Sunrise at 8.30a very hungover at the Coopers inn the day of the game which involved a hair of the dog beer, that was actually hard work at the time. someone in covid put a mask on the pic for me.
face mask profile pick.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parks and Recs is one of my favourite shows.

I am not even like Ron Swanson personality wise, but it kinda suits my faux tough guy image. I have also been told I look like a younger Ron Swanson.
You have a tough guy image?

So last week I took a look at all of your avatars.

All 303 of them.

There were some things that stood out while doing this. The most obvious one was "Why are you wasting your time on this bullshit, Bob?" but once I got over that I noticed that there were certain themes that were appearing. I then did something called Affinity Clustering, which is where you take a whole bunch of diverse things and group them into clusters that have a certain similarity. Here's what I found...

Having sportspeople as avatars made up the largest cluster of similar avatars, with 79 of the 303 SFA people (26%) choosing have pictures of sportspeople representing them visually. The next biggest cohort is the artists, whether they are actors, musicians or an ancient Roman poet. There are 68 of these, or 22% of the SFA. Next up are the 18% of posters who identify as cartoons (54 in total), while finally there were 43 animal avatars, which makes up 14% of the total.

Add these four groupings together and you get 244 out of the 303 SFA posters, or 81% of the SFA which once again affirms the old 80/20 rule. Of the remaining 19% there are things like A Swallow and his plane, Agent93 GremioPower & Broken with their logos, former dictators like former Bomber Santoz (RIP) or posters like Tony Lynn 15 Hate and Blacky whose avatars I have no idea where they came from.

Across the various teams, the proportion of players that have one of these types of avatars are as follows:

TeamTop 4 avatarsTotalPercentage
Dragons182475%
Gumbies182475%
Warriors252793%
Bombers232592%
Roys212778%
Furies222685%
Wonders252696%
Hawks152463%
Swamprats152365%
Bears192673%
Demons242789%
Royals192479%
Total24430381%

"So where's the competition, Bob?" I hear you type.

Great question, imaginary reply person in my head. Well this forum is based on randomly generated sportsball contests, and that's where the Battle of the Avatars comes into it. This week will see four avatar-based qooty teams enter the Qunderdome and face off against each other, with the overall winners getting God only knows what, but I'm sure that I'll rustle up some imaginary award.

Coming up in my next series of posts I'll go into further details about each of the four teams. Let's goooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

So last week I took a look at all of your avatars.

All 303 of them.

There were some things that stood out while doing this. The most obvious one was "Why are you wasting your time on this bullshit, Bob?" but once I got over that I noticed that there were certain themes that were appearing. I then did something called Affinity Clustering, which is where you take a whole bunch of diverse things and group them into clusters that have a certain similarity. Here's what I found...

Having sportspeople as avatars made up the largest cluster of similar avatars, with 79 of the 303 SFA people (26%) choosing have pictures of sportspeople representing them visually. The next biggest cohort is the artists, whether they are actors, musicians or an ancient Roman poet. There are 68 of these, or 22% of the SFA. Next up are the 18% of posters who identify as cartoons (54 in total), while finally there were 43 animal avatars, which makes up 14% of the total.

Add these four groupings together and you get 244 out of the 303 SFA posters, or 81% of the SFA which once again affirms the old 80/20 rule. Of the remaining 19% there are things like A Swallow and his plane, Agent93 GremioPower & Broken with their logos, former dictators like former Bomber Santoz (RIP) or posters like Tony Lynn 15 Hate and Blacky whose avatars I have no idea where they came from.

Across the various teams, the proportion of players that have one of these types of avatars are as follows:

TeamTop 4 avatarsTotalPercentage
Dragons182475%
Gumbies182475%
Warriors252793%
Bombers232592%
Roys212778%
Furies222685%
Wonders252696%
Hawks152463%
Swamprats152365%
Bears192673%
Demons242789%
Royals192479%
Total24430381%

"So where's the competition, Bob?" I hear you type.

Great question, imaginary reply person in my head. Well this forum is based on randomly generated sportsball contests, and that's where the Battle of the Avatars comes into it. This week will see four avatar-based qooty teams enter the Qunderdome and face off against each other, with the overall winners getting God only knows what, but I'm sure that I'll rustle up some imaginary award.

Coming up in my next series of posts I'll go into further details about each of the four teams. Let's goooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
Bob - I've wasted a lot of time on media over the seasons....but this really takes the cake.
Kudos to you.

Either omgfridge or Supersuns made this for me.

The main part of the avatar is obvious it is a Goose in GWS gear. The little detail is the Pepsi can, we were debating preferences and I prefer Pepsi to Coke, this enraged (hyperbole intended) the 2 of them who couldnt believe I was team Pepsi so this was added to the avatar.

My previous avatar is a picture with me holding the actual premiership cup. My mate arranged through a contact of his some GF tickets, but he bartered in exchange we agreed to a heap of interviews and media stuff. One of which was an interview at Docklands with some internal guys that had us holding the cup. I also had do a interview for Sunrise at 8.30a very hungover at the Coopers inn the day of the game which involved a hair of the dog beer, that was actually hard work at the time. someone in covid put a mask on the pic for me.
View attachment 1136117
Your current av is my amazing MS paint skills at work. Think I made it in a match thread.

My av is just a character I like - Satoru Gojo from Jujutsu Kaisen (ha, nerd). Got a bit bored of having just a fridge and wanted something a bit more identifiable.

Papu Gomez is an Atalanta legend and plays beautiful football.
He had beef with his coach and got sold :(
I tried to replace him but his face is too good for shops.

He wear pink magenta because Furies.
In the past he has wielded a scythe to harvest green shoots and its a nice symbol.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back