Analysis Battle's position

Where do you think Battle would be best?

• Forward

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • Back

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Utility

Votes: 18 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
This has been an interesting situation all year.

Drafted as a forward. Had an awesome season in defence in 2019. Seemed to have a quieter season this year as a utility, still solid when forward or back, but not the impact as he had in one position. Tonight he clunks a few up forward and back, but I think he's capable of domination and tearing games apart if set in one position.

His ability to hit the scoreboard consistently (and mostly accurately) with limited opportunities, I'm leaning towards having him forward. He's a natural there. Can clunk them and take them on the lead. Whereas when in defence he might find himself in a mismatch againtst a Lynch type, even though he reads the play so well and uses it smartly coming out of the backline.

Ideally forward I reckon. Could definitely see him having 40 goal seasons there. But he's also very good down back.

With the news tonight that we're after another key forward and also knowing that we haven't offered Jake another contract yet, I wonder if we plan on moving Battle back, and shipping Carlisle out, if we can get our hands on a Ben Brown.

‘Utility’ players are worth their weight in gold. Especially next year with reduced list sizes. Gives coaches the ability to throw names around the coaching board when things sent working out. Goddard was a fantastic player for that. G train could also go from full back to full forward ( and wing at West Coast). Trevor Barker is remembered as a backman but that’s only because that’s where the ball was most of the time he played. He was also a bloody good forward. While Battle is young Id encourage him to keep being a utility. When he gets a bit older, wiser, bigger and slower he may be confined to the forward half where he can use his by-then-gained experience to compensate for any loss of pace, but for now keep learning by mastering all positions on the ground.

Forward for mine, can clunk a contested mark (also a good defensive trait) and generally a great/clutch kick for goal.

Ratts seemed to suggest Jake would get a contract in his presser last night - fingers crossed he does by the way.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think he is best suited as a forward but he isn't a great shot for goal especially in the 15 - 30m range. If we're looking to bring Brown in and let Carlisle go surely we play him down back tho?

I think he is best suited as a forward but he isn't a great shot for goal especially in the 15 - 30m range. If we're looking to bring Brown in and let Carlisle go surely we play him down back tho?

Yeah seems like his future is defence if we are targeting Brown. Membery and Battle are kind of similar as forwards so I don’t mind that idea. But he can be dangerous when he does go forward so I hope that isn’t forgotten

Hopefully it hasn't been mentioned multiple times but did we get a reason why Battle spent the best part of a quarter on the bench? Did he have injections to let him play out the match?

I saw someone I Reddit saying he broke his foot! Not sure if true or not, just telling you what I read.

I'm very unsure. I feel like he's almost equally adept at playing back or forward. His position will probably continue to be determined by where he's needed. I hope for his sake that he can get some continuity in one position. His versatility is great but it makes it really tough for him to play consistent footy when he's being moved around constantly. He went at about a goal a game this year despite playing large portions of the year in a floating role up the ground. He reads the flight of the ball very well and has good hands. Needs to clean up his goal kicking a little bit. Very natural footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute quality player but needs to settle into a key position at either end IMO. Utility/wing players at his size is a bit gimmicky, it’s nice for a while but doesn’t win you flags long term.

Looks like there’ll be more opportunities in the backline long term.

He is ok shooting at goal when he is doing so without one broken foot (especially as it was probably injected with painkillers numbing it).

I’m gunna go against the grain and say back with the ability to swing forward. We can build a team with quality intercept markers in coff and battle while Howard and Wilkie take the match ups and long and Paton are there on the flank to release to the wings.

I keep remembering that amazing mark in the dying stages of the freo game last year. Yes please. More of that!

Absolute quality player but needs to settle into a key position at either end IMO. Utility/wing players at his size is a bit gimmicky, it’s nice for a while but doesn’t win you flags long term.

Looks like there’ll be more opportunities in the backline long term.
Andrew Embley?

The fact that he could easily do either - forward or back - is exciting in itself.

I think in defence. I feel like with him and Coffield we might have our McGovern/Barrass combination. I can see Battle becoming an elite intercept player. Not sure he has the size to stand up to the monstering he would get as a full time KPF.

Given his height, he doesn't have enough "tricks" to hold down a KP permanently so swingman might be his job.

If he's being picked as a permanent 3rd tall forward then its between him and Membrey, playing back it would be between him and Wilkie.

Long term I'd like to see us settle him at CHF and send him back late in games if we need to hold on.

That said, if we land Brown or Cameron then Battle goes to CHB and swings forward if we need to try and steal a win!!

Back