FTA-TV Battlestar Galactica (Season 4 Spoilers)

Remove this Banner Ad

For those unanawre...there is a special release called Battlestar Galactica: The Last Frakkin' Special up on torrents sites now...doesn't give too much away but a cool watch anyway...something I never noticed though...Hot Dog is played by Adama's real-life son...

Yeah, I noticed that. How much of it is new content, though?

I saw the latest episode and I don't think there's ever been duller Battlestar than the scenes on Caprica. Nice to know that the Galacicta is going out in style, though.

Damn it! What about Starbuck? What was special about her?
She was an Angel. Like Head Six and Head Baltar.

I, as usual, took notes while I watched the episode so I could remember what I thought. Here they are:

• Nearly teared up when Adama made Hoshi the Admiral
  • Cheered out loud when Lampkin was made President
  • Surprised Baltar stayed on Galactica
  • Blown away by the CGI graphics
  • Old school Centuriouns are never not cool
  • Symmetry with the Opera House/Final 5 scenes and those scences on Galactica blew my mind
  • Unbelieveably happy to see Edward James Olmos and Dean Stockwell acting in the same room
  • "Hey I don't mean to rush you, but you are keeping two civilisations waiting here" - Comic genius
  • The musical score was awesome
  • Was happy to see Leoben back
  • Good to see closure on Head Six and Head Baltar
  • Was all happy to see it end on that shot of Adama, then "150,000 years later". Biggest "WTF?" moment ever
  • Ending with Jimi Hendrix-Very Cool
  • Ending with stock footage of robots and asian people playing with them - Not Cool

Horrid ending. A load of luddite mush.

I wouldn't mind so much if not for the fact that the series generally depicted humanity warts-and-all, but then the ending turned out to be such naive rubbish.

They borrowed their plot twist from the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy for frak's sake.

Horrid ending. A load of luddite mush.

I wouldn't mind so much if not for the fact that the series generally depicted humanity warts-and-all, but then the ending turned out to be such naive rubbish.

They borrowed their plot twist from the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy for frak's sake.

Oh boo hoo.

She was an Angel. Like Head Six and Head Baltar.

Surprisingly, Kara didn't realise it herself. She was the key player the whole time. So everybody could see her and even touch her, until she had played her part. So the 'human' Kara did get blown up in the Viper, but that doesn't explain the other 'copy' of Kara on the destroyed Earth.

I always assumed that Balthar and Caprica Six hallucinated images of each other, or that they were connected to their respective consciences.

It still takes getting used to, especially the notion of some divine plan all along.

Now why did Cavil shoot himself in the head?

Old school Centuriouns are never not cool

The sight of the Old Style Centurions punching on with the Redstripe Centurions has to rank as one of the most awesome TV moments ever.

Quite happy with the way it wrapped up TBH - some very emotional moments which the flashbacks gave even more resonance to (especially Baltar - "I know about farming"). Hope the people who were complaining about the lack of action over the last couple of episodes are happy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Proof that BSG is a brilliant show is when the United Nations gets in on the act

17 March 2009 – The United Nations is co-hosting a discussion with the stars and creators of the television show Battlestar Galactica today, exploring themes which are important to both – human rights, terrorism, children and armed conflict, and reconciliation between civilians and faiths. “This event will show how skilful storytelling can elevate the profile of critical humanitarian issues,” said Kiyo Akasaka, UN Under-Secretary-General for Public Information. “Not only does it present an opportunity for creative discussion, but, more importantly, it offers a chance to deliver a message about the many harsh realities that still exist worldwide.”
And sci fi wire report
One of the UN reps, Craig Mokhiber, even took the opportunity to scold McDonnell, "Shame on you, President Roslin" for her treatment of the Cylons in the show, specifically endorsing the use of torture and using dehumanizing tactics toward them.

I quite enjoyed it when starbuck is preparing to jump away from the coloney to earth and she says "there must be some way out of here" whilst watchtower plays during the scene :D

Well it's been a week or so and the ending still seems a bit iffy to me. It's not that Kara was an angel or how the 'opera house' thing played out, it's how the fleet decided to ditch technology and live tribally (sort of). It just seems so, unlikely and meh.

The series as a whole was great though so it doesn't diminish it but the ending just seems a bit 'mushy' for my tastes. Frankly it would of been better if the humans and cylons finally blew each other up for good.

Watched the finale last night, and still digesting it.

Whilst I liked the concept of all this happening 150,000 years ago, they completely lost me when they ditched all their technology into the sun and decided to live like cave men. Their lives would have been much harder than being chased by the Cylons, and their chances of survival probably worse off.

Makes no sense to finally succeed in saving the human race then abandon the one thing that will keep you alive.

I guess these are the sort of ridiculous logic holes that get created when you work back from the ending.

Up until that point I was pretty much immersed in the episode, but this snapped me out suddenly and left me shaking my head. Never thought I'd here myself mumbling "This is bullshit" with 10 minutes to go.

Ending would have worked much better if they had lost their technology somehow and were forced to live like cave men. Wouldn't have been hard to concoct some situation requiring an emergency fleet evacuation after the final jump, pretty much only escaping with the clothes on their backs and a few provisions.

Also didn't like the divine intervention crap and Kara actually being an angel. Made absolutely no sense she didn't know she was an angel, especially as the Caprica Six angel did know.

On the whole I think the BSG writers really dropped the ball in season 4. What made it a really good show in the first three seasons was missing for large chunks of the fourth.

Full credit to the special effects guys though, the visuals in the final episode were spectacular. Having retro centurians fighting against modern centurians was a blast. Looked like feature film quality CGI, which is amazing on a TV series budget.

Also, did anyone else notice Balthar say f**k instead of frak in the final episode?

:thumbsu: I agree with everything Likka said. I just watched the final episode and found it depressing by the end because all they were doing was divesting themselves of the stuff that made their lives interesting.

Also, it seems ludicrous that they'd give up all the technology that could be used to protect them if the cylons (the ones who they are not on good terms with) found them and decided to blow their asses away.

There was a point where the old style centurions were fighting the modern centurions and I thought I'd never seen Battlestar so good. But then the ending just made it seem as though their lives from that point on would be pretty boring and/or depressing. Chief and Lee seemed set to be monks for the rest of their lives...

It could have been better to have a rebuilding of sorts, like in the Firefly movie Serenity. If they'd fixed up the Galactica and parked it on the moon and just used it as a place to hang out, have the occasional party, etc, that would have been aweseome. As it is, I can't see how it's plausible that everyone in the fleet would want to ditch their ships and FTL drives to go down to some backwards planet and hang out with the natives. FFS, I wish they'd let me write the last 30 minutes of that episode. I would've cranked out something semi-believable.

Obviously Moore has never heard of the term "deus ex machina".

Honestly cannot believe how anyone could find that ending either plausible or remotely satisfying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back