FTA-TV Battlestar Galactica (Season 4 Spoilers)

Aug 18, 2009
Planet of the Apes
AFL Club
Sydney
I never watched the series when it originally aired. But me and the Missus wanted something new to watch, so we bought the whole Frakkin' series, which we dug completely, until the last 20mins, which felt sort of lame.

I wasn't happy with Ellen being the last member of the final 5 either. I was wrapped when Saul offed her. I remember thinking "She should've thought of THAT before she spread her legs!". Then she came back. D'oh!

So my beautiful BluRay copy of The Plan arrived today. 1hr 12mins into it so far and the word I'd use to describe it is "underwhelming"

Yeah, but I guess it was not supposed to be mind blowing, its basically a Cylon journal jumping through the show's timeline ... and I think it actually took the shine off the TV series much moreso than 'explained' various Cylon perspectives of things.

Bad move, Edward James Olmos.

Dont be a lemon

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 2, 2006
Party time all the time
AFL Club
Essendon
My favourite show ever and I could accept it all... except the "let's abandon technology and be primitives" ending. Such a dark mark in my memory :thumbsdown: BECAUSE IT'S A ****ING *ED THING TO DO THAT SOUNDS GOOD FOR ABOUT 5 SECONDS UNTIL YOU THINK ABOUT HAVING TO LIVE LIKE THAT :thumbsdown:

Ugh :( That part of the ending is an irritation that will never die.

My favourite show ever and I could accept it all... except the "let's abandon technology and be primitives" ending. Such a dark mark in my memory :thumbsdown: BECAUSE IT'S A ****ING *ED THING TO DO THAT SOUNDS GOOD FOR ABOUT 5 SECONDS UNTIL YOU THINK ABOUT HAVING TO LIVE LIKE THAT :thumbsdown:

Ugh :( That part of the ending is an irritation that will never die.
Just do what I do and pretend the series ended after Season 2. Ignorance is bliss.

Season 3 was pretty good also, but then it turned to s**t.
Parts of Season 4 were good. The first episode, the episode where they destroyed the Resurrection Hub, the last episode before the mid-season break, the episode with Ellen and Cavil, and apart from the last 5 minutes I thought the last handful of episodes were really good. That battle was epic.

rayven

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PC racing
Ron Moore explains the reasoning and meanings of the remake

rayven

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PC racing

rayven

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PC racing
I think he does an excellent job detailing the shitness of the ending.
What I thought Moore failed to get across was the fact all that technology was no good to them(new earth). They no ability to replenish it. It takes whole cities and states fabricated with others in a functioning economy with modern infrastructure to be able to produce such equipment. They were limited in what they could mine and build with what the Galactica could carry, the base stars were no good to them. Limited in what they could teach new generations. They would of encountered all the same problems when they were on the run, with people arguing/fighting for what resources they had. The whole progression mentality would just repeat. The lesson in Razor where Pegasus raped and pillaged civilian ships to maintain her man of war status is proof of my point.

At some point all that technology and skills was going to be lost. What they did stopped alot of s**t in between. Ancient cultures are full of decisions like that.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Grace Park turns 41 in March. Where does the time go...

First and second seasons were the best. End of season 4 was shocking.

Best TV space drama ever. Had a realism the Star Treks never bothered with.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With the whole ending and going back to nature thing surely they would have all died of diseases within a year.
Not them. You'd assume they'd have been vaccinated as kids, so probably would be fine by and large. No tech though and let's start the deaths in child birth and high infant mortality and low life expectancy though. Yeah, we get it AI was a mistake. So just go no AI, not no technology. :drunk:

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I accept his elaboration as a valid opinion from a small demographic of viewers. I get it. I just feel he puts too much emphasis on BSG being linked to Earth's past rather than future. I find this really hopeful, both in the character's clean slate decision and the cycle maybe not repeating itself this time, and it also excuses better how highly similar the flaws of the 12 colony society is to our own, as that being in our future is harder to swallow (except as TV shows creating relatable societies without too much risky vision of the future). Also, what he contends makes timeless (and responsible) 'hard' sci-fi. Many of his "failures" were also present throughout the entirety of the show. Waiting until the ending to get all offended about it is silly. BSG got more involving as it went along (S1 was the worst season).

Ronald D. Moore made a lot of mistakes. I've previously expressed how cringey I found the sexualised Head Six stuff in S1, and the various Caprica storylines were rather tedious to get through. The Opera dream, Cavil negotiation, Final Five reveal-strangle, Cavil reaction and Kara song-jump, all in tight sequence, didn't hit the mark for me. But the epilogue on new Earth was all fine to me. BSG was always a bit space opera except for the administrating of a dwindling fleet of resources and the investigation of the human condition and spirituality through conflict and intermixing with a demeaned, man-made-gone-awry opponent. Those fans who become obsessed with lore mysteries liable to end up a bit empty are likely to feel more cheated in the moment as well, especially from a flagship series that everyone has invested their hopes in.

I've always loved sci-fi personally, but have little taste for militaristic space fleets shooting at each other (sailships and cyber is more my warfare preference I guess), so that is where I'm coming from basically.

As always, fans who get super obsessed about TV show mysteries are setting themselves up for failure. Those that focus on mysteries and demand their full explanation. They are a disease to TV finales. Maybe if they paid more objective attention to overall quality, rather than their fan-ficy problem-solving between episodes, then they might be more content. It might not have an ending you intellectually agree with, or has an ending that could be ill-used in the present by others, but I think it is important to have a range of different messages out there. Human society constantly disagrees, and an ending like that has a symbolic special quality to it that is a little bit different and appreciable to me. I enjoyed seeing these characters making that choice, there was a beauty in it.

Last edited:
Back