Tim H

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2006
Home
AFL Club
Carlton
Just finnished watching season 3. :confused: at sudden and unexplained ending:
Everything will be alright she says then it just stops.:(

Left hanging, Is there a season 4 available or planned.

Jimi

Draftee
Melbourne Demons - Dominic Barry 2013 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe 2013 Player Sponsor
Oct 10, 2004
Another great show that doesn't get the air time it deserves here in Australia.

DB10

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts NFL Draft Comp Participant NFL Mock Draft Participant
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens & Chicago Bulls
What's Battlestar Galactica like for people not big into sci-fi? I'm usually more of a drama sort of viewer - Sopranos, Oz, West Wing, Deadwood, Shield sort of thing - but I've heard such great things about this show that it's got me interested. I'm just not big into sci-fi, but I really did like Firefly (even if that wasn't 100% sci-fi) and I want to check this out. I just don't want to spend $30 or waste bandwidth only to not like it.

Tim H

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2006
Home
AFL Club
Carlton
What's Battlestar Galactica like for people not big into sci-fi? I'm usually more of a drama sort of viewer - Sopranos, Oz, West Wing, Deadwood, Shield sort of thing - but I've heard such great things about this show that it's got me interested. I'm just not big into sci-fi, but I really did like Firefly (even if that wasn't 100% sci-fi) and I want to check this out. I just don't want to spend $30 or waste bandwidth only to not like it.
I enjoyed BG Little or no tecno babble.
Give it 6 out of 10
Other shows listed looks like my list of favorites,

West Wing 9/10
Deadwood 9/10
Sopranos 8/10
Oz 7/10
Firefly 8/10 Love a good Western.

The Shield Only seen what Ch 10 have let me.:(

BSG isn't your typical Sci Fi show. It's not a show about space and technology. It just uses space and technology to tell the story. The story drives the show. I can't recommend it more.

Jafa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2002
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi

Thats a good question. There is so much behind BSG that has very little to do with Scifi.

To me it`s really seedy in a great way. The people are still the same greedy cheating scumbags they are in reality - and there are some good ones thrown in as well. Once you get past the Human - Cylon thing the stories deal with very common themes such as racism, racketeering, adultery, religion and alot of political maneuvering as well as the fine line between the milatary and political leadership.

Give it a whirl but make sure you get past the first few episodes.

DB10

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I watched the first two episodes last night chaps, and I have to say ... I thought it was excellent. Loved it. Can't wait to watch the rest of it and the rest of the series, which means more money. :(

Also, how hot is Tricia Helfer?

DB10

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Just finished watching the first season. Superb! Loved all of it. The characters, the writing, the acting, it's all excellent. You were right in that it isn't like a real scifi and anyone can watch it and not be turned off by it. Only thing I disliked was President Roslin. I don't know if it's the writing or the actress, but she always looks like she's about to burst into tears. Hardly an inspiring leader.

Sep 7, 2004
The Arthouse
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The F.Torres Worshippers
Just finished watching the first season. Superb! Loved all of it. The characters, the writing, the acting, it's all excellent. You were right in that it isn't like a real scifi and anyone can watch it and not be turned off by it. Only thing I disliked was President Roslin. I don't know if it's the writing or the actress, but she always looks like she's about to burst into tears. Hardly an inspiring leader.

Haha I think you're a bit stiff on Roslin DB. As you've probably already seen, her righteousness can sometimes be annoying, but she reminds of Jed Bartlett from the West Wing in that she's a liberal idealist who has to make a lot of hard decisions once she's in the Big Seat. And believe me, she's not afraid to make the hard calls... just see what she does at the end of Season 2.

DB10

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Haha I think you're a bit stiff on Roslin DB. As you've probably already seen, her righteousness can sometimes be annoying, but she reminds of Jed Bartlett from the West Wing in that she's a liberal idealist who has to make a lot of hard decisions once she's in the Big Seat. And believe me, she's not afraid to make the hard calls... just see what she does at the end of Season 2.

Haha, Bartlet would open up a can of whoop arse on Roslin. :p Nah, you're probably right and I'm sure she becomes a more believable leader the further you get into it. I tell you what though, the character of Starbuck is brilliant. :thumbsu: She manages to be both vulnerable and the toughest badass at the same time.

This was the most recent thread I could find so apologies for bumping otherwise.

Finally worked my way through this on Stan as it was probably my biggest 'blind spot' in terms of Sci-Fi TV.

I'm actually amazed I was able to get all the way through to the ending and be surprised by the 'twist' ending having not been previously spoiled.

I really enjoyed the show, found the characters very compelling and well put together, although it did sometimes seem to be a bit disjointed in terms of the story it was trying to tell.

I'm curious with the news that another series is in the works as a 'continuation' not a reboot, given the way things ended, I'm not sure how much that would work?

Back