Bazball and the Collins Dictionary

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that people want to see them fail. It’s England, everyone who doesn’t follow them likes watching them lose.

Everyone who likes test cricket likes watching matches where players have to use different strengths and overcome weaknesses and teams have different parts that thrive in different circumstances etc etc etc. I get it. Seeing a team where everyone just comes out and thrashes from ball one is not suppose to work, it is tactless, and it does not appear to be ‘proper’ cricket.

But until it doesn’t work, it works. And so far it has. That’s not disputable. Even the games they’ve lost, the early declaration: well who the f*** is to say they even get to a score where they can declare, if they play the way they would have played pre-McCullum and inch their way to 8-215 by stumps? Do people NOT REALISE THIS??

And yeah Lyon missed the best part of three tests, Jack Leach missed all of them. He’s not as good as Lyon but he’s their first choice spinner and he’s a shitload better than Moen Ali. Why is it only one team’s misfortune that ever gets remembered?

And we throw stones at all these mediocre first class players that England bring in and tell to just go out and throw the bat. Adam Gilchrist had a fairly ordinary domestic record save for some good List A outings before he caught the eye, then he forged his reputation in OdI cricket.

Suddenly he was playing every test innings with abandon and no one cared because it worked and aside from Warne he was honestly, to quite a few people, the main reason that side was so brutally dominant; once you saw off this powerhouse top six the most dangerous guy of all comes out with no regard at all for his wicket and you just copped it from ball one.

Not that I’m suggesting any English players are in anywhere near the same hemisphere as Gilchrist but that’s the sort of attitude McCullum is trying to get them to play with and more often than not so far, it has worked

And the two tests they lost. Thoroughly outplayed at Lord's only got close due to Stokes heroics and lost at Edgbaston thanks to Bazball stupidity of declaring very early in the game while Root was batting and passed 100.

Lyon plays the last 3 tests and they don't level it.

I cannot wait to see them try and bazball in India.

England are always going to lose some tests with the aggressive way they play the game under McCullum, they lost a test in NZ too with an early declaration but it made for one of the most exciting finishes of all time when it could have been a boring draw.

I would prefer to see that risk losing to win a test approach from England under McCullum rather than their old play to avoid defeat approach

Who knows if Bazball will be successful in India but it will be entertaining to watch just like it will be in Australia if they bring Bazball out here

“I’m 2-0 against Bazball so I am happy,” Lyon said. “It’s a load of s**t, if you ask me. It’s a brand of cricket that the English want to keep going with. Now it’s in the dictionary which is pretty extraordinary.”

Front Bar host Mick Molloy responded: “It’s in the dictionary between the Hindenberg and the Titanic”.

Mick Molloy doesn't know how a dictionary works? Surprising...

England are always going to lose some tests with the aggressive way they play the game under McCullum, they lost a test in NZ too with an early declaration but it made for one of the most exciting finishes of all time when it could have been a boring draw.

I would prefer to see that risk losing to win a test approach from England under McCullum rather than their old play to avoid defeat approach

Who knows if Bazball will be successful in India but it will be entertaining to watch just like it will be in Australia if they bring Bazball out here
Bazball in India will be fascinating with the raging turners they will bring out.

I can see a 2 day test on the cards at least once in that series especially with England's approach with the bat.

Bazball in India will be fascinating with the raging turners they will bring out.

I can see a 2 day test on the cards at least once in that series especially with England's approach with the bat.
Well that will all depend on how tired the squad is from the ashes and world cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back