Bazza vs Mundine

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people have no idea...:rolleyes:

Hall would smash Mundine... The weight difference is huge. A half decent heavier boxer would kill a smaller, lighter but better technically better boxer.

If Hall had say 3-6 mths to train for the fight it would be over in the first round.
Yeah and you are one of those people.
Mundine is a world class fighter, Hall is not, he would be far too slow for Mundine, he may be able to punch bloody hard, but he has to be able to connect first to make any impact.

There is a reason Hall didnt persue a boxing career. He was not good enough. Given the financial rewards of the two sports at the elite level I am sure he would of stuck with boxing if he was at the elite level of his weight range, that Mundine is.

Mundine would beat him as he is a boxer not a king hitter.

/thread.

lol at people thinking Hall would smash any professional boxer. You people are totally clueless.

This coming from a Mundine hater.

I'd rather see Hall vs Forest Griffin or Rampage :eek::eek:
I would pay to see that:D
Yeah, pay for a 20 second fight?

Hall would get smashed by BJ Penn and GSP let alone Rampage and Griffin.

He'll have to do a hell of alot more than beat one person to get peoples respect back!

Anyone else remember Mundine on the Today show in America? Saying that the people that died in 9/11 deserved it? he will never fight in America again because of his mouth, and due to that he will never gain the respect that he seeks in the boxing world ever again.

If he just tried to act like a decent human being he would gain some respect, instead of being a hypocritical, obnoxious pig.

Danny Green will make his comeback and will absoloutely smash Mundine. Mundines managers are already chasing Green and he has said he will only come back if there's more money involved, which they will get for Green, its the only way Mundine can gain more respect in Australia - everyone else he fights are chumps and has beens.

Mundine never said that you twit! Get your facts right before you badmouth someone. Fool. Nice way to over exaggerate mate.
He said it isn't Australia's problem and USA brought it upon themselves.

Mundine is good average fighter IMO but lets not kid ourselves that he is a world beater, overseas he is viewed as a joke because he keeps fighting people he knows he can beat & never pushes himself.

Hear is a comment from Dan Rafael about Mundine:

The former titleholder continues his string of fights against obscure, overmatched or faded fighters. He'll take what's behind door No. 3 when he moves down to middleweight to face Australian countryman Shannan Taylor (48-6-3), who was at his best at welterweight and is years past his prime.

Skill and speed can help a fighter overcome a weight difference. We only have to look at the recent results of the De La Hoya vs Pacquiao fight. De La Hoya was the physically bigger and stronger man however Pacquiao's speed and ability to fire off the first punch whilst avoiding punches from De La Hoya won him the fight by eventual TKO. If Hall could land punches of course he would do damage however he would struggle to catch the far quicker and more ring experienced Mundine.

Green could not get punches off against Mundine as he is a very stiff but powerful fighter that Mundine could tee off against because he knew Danny was not quick enough to catch him. I dislike Mundine as much as the next person. Hoping he chooses to fight some better opposition this year so we can see what he's really made of?

A few people I would like to see Mundine fight:

Allan Green
Sakio Bika
Jermain Taylor now he is at SMW

It seems that Mundine has moved down to middleweight now. Sakio Bika vs Mundine would be a great Australian fight (better fight them Mundine vs Green). Jermain Taylor will not be fighting Mundine anytime soon as Mundine doesn't bring much cash to the plate.

Skill and speed can help a fighter overcome a weight difference. We only have to look at the recent results of the De La Hoya vs Pacquiao fight. De La Hoya was the physically bigger and stronger man however Pacquiao's speed and ability to fire off the first punch whilst avoiding punches from De La Hoya won him the fight by eventual TKO. If Hall could land punches of course he would do damage however he would struggle to catch the far quicker and more ring experienced Mundine.

Green could not get punches off against Mundine as he is a very stiff but powerful fighter that Mundine could tee off against because he knew Danny was not quick enough to catch him. I dislike Mundine as much as the next person. Hoping he chooses to fight some better opposition this year so we can see what he's really made of?

Pacquiao followed the blue-print to beat much bigger fighters: Movement, power (to create reluctance and subdue pressure), and a high workrate. He is the best fighter in the world, and he adapted his style by utilising lateral, and in-and-out movement to create angles and evade Oscar's shots. He set an extremely high pace, he has a granite chin and has enough power to keep bigger fighters from blanketing him with pressure. Mundine is much more of a stationary target in that he plants his feet and uses reflexes to evade shots (aka. Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather, who were troubled/beaten by pressure because they didn't move). His chin is glass, his workrate is petty, and his power against bigger fighters would be nothing. Hence I'd give Hall, or any heavyweight with decent power and half a clue (questionable for Barry) a shot against Mundine.

Pacquiao followed the blue-print to beat much bigger fighters: Movement, power (to create reluctance and subdue pressure), and a high workrate. He is the best fighter in the world, and he adapted his style by utilising lateral, and in-and-out movement to create angles and evade Oscar's shots. He set an extremely high pace, he has a granite chin and has enough power to keep bigger fighters from blanketing him with pressure. Mundine is much more of a stationary target in that he plants his feet and uses reflexes to evade shots (aka. Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather, who were troubled/beaten by pressure because they didn't move). His chin is glass, his workrate is petty, and his power against bigger fighters would be nothing. Hence I'd give Hall, or any heavyweight with decent power and half a clue (questionable for Barry) a shot against Mundine.

Wasn't comparing Pacquiao to Mundine, just merely pointing out that a smaller fighter can beat a bigger fighter with the right tatctics. I think that Mundine is good at running back to avoid punches and staying away from danger (especially with slower opponents) hence he would be able to beat Hall. I wouldn't give him the advantage over more experienced fighters with good handspeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mundine is a chump who gets very little respect from me - but he would knock Hall out cold in the first 30 seconds.

I know its difficult for smaller guys to beat bigger guys, in fact I can only think of two truly dominant small fighters (Tyson and Pacquaio) and those guys are complete freaks of nature, but it isn't difficult for professional boxers to beat footballers.

Mundine is a chump who gets very little respect from me - but he would knock Hall out cold in the first 30 seconds.

I know its difficult for smaller guys to beat bigger guys, but it isn't difficult for professional boxers to beat footballers.

I wouldn't exactly call Mundine a chump. He does possess a lot of skill as a boxer. What let's him down is his mouth. If he kept it closed a bit more he'd probably gain a lot more respect than what he does, but I guess that's the nature of boxing!

Dempsey was a brawler who had dynamite in both hands, a fabulous workrate and a granite chin, aka. the appropriate style to beat a bigger opponent (see Duran over Barkley, Tyson who never had a size advantage etc.) particularly one with no real power to speak of, and only one notable victory over a shot Jack Johnson. I can't think of any slicksters who beat much bigger opponents, save for Jones over Ruiz (but Jones was probably a top 10 fighter head to head in history). Not to mention that the higher the weight class, the less size has a bearing. I.e. a featherweight fighting a middleweight is a FAR bigger mismatch than a 200lb heavyweight fighting Valuev (well over 300lbs).

So your saying that the higher the weight classes, the less of a bearing it has, and yet the power differential is a big deal in this match up? Power is only effective when landed, and to be honest, I haven't seen any proof that Hall would be a powerful heavyweight. Klitschko's, Lewis, Foreman - now thats power.

What other examples do you have? Jones was a freak of nature, Ruiz was feather-fisted with no workrate. Besides, Jones hadn't fought at 160 in YEARS, he'd been naturally filling out in weight. His jump was from 175 to heavyweight, not 160. You'd have to go back to bloody Micky Walker to find a real example.

Yes but heavyweights back in the day were more likely to be 200lbs then 250lbs. so the comparisons from light heavy today are valid, perhaps even more so then back in the day. So Roy Jones is a good example, as is Chris Byrd who did it consistently.

Couldn't agree more. Wlad is actually a very good fighter, despite the appalling condition the division is in, he would be a contender in every era, including the 70s.

Agreed, so powerful.

Mundine was never near the top 10, and never will be. Agreed.

But I don't agree with your list at all, even though I know it was off the top of your head. Add Marquez, Vasquez, Hopkins, Cotto, Margarito, Calderon, Donaire, Mosley, Mijares, Williams, Abraham, Campbell, Dawson etc.

Keep in mind when I wrote this list, way back a while.

Nah. Even if you exclude the 80s guys like Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Spinks, Lopez, Sanchez, Gomez, Arguello, Pryor etc., you still have Chavez and Whitaker, in addition to De La Hoya, Trinidad, Mosley and Hopkins. Jones is up there, but Floyd is not.

Got to disagree here, Jones and Mayweather are the best I have seen in the last 25, including the above mentioned.

The US is the centre of the boxing world, that's the way it is. That's why Pacquiao, Marquez, Vasquez, Cotto, Klitschko etc. all fight in the US, despite being foreign fighters.

Yes I know, but if you have a look back you'll see I was responding to an original statement which was something along the lines of "Mundine would never leave Australia" despite the fact he already had.

I
n his own weight class, yes. Even with a good LHW? Yes. Not a good middleweight with a glass jaw, and no power of note. It could go either way. :thumbsu:

Mundine would beat Hall - he simply isn't good enough.

Mundine is good average fighter IMO but lets not kid ourselves that he is a world beater, overseas he is viewed as a joke because he keeps fighting people he knows he can beat & never pushes himself.

Hear is a comment from Dan Rafael about Mundine:

The former titleholder continues his string of fights against obscure, overmatched or faded fighters. He'll take what's behind door No. 3 when he moves down to middleweight to face Australian countryman Shannan Taylor (48-6-3), who was at his best at welterweight and is years past his prime.

I have a couple things to say about this one:

1) Mundine is highly rated, by sanctioning bodies, Ring Magazine and computerised rankings such as Boxrec.

2) Dan Rafael is ridiculed within his OWN industry. Very unpopular with fight fans.

3) This was Mundine's first fight at Middleweight, seems like a perfectly valid choice to me.

I wouldn't exactly call Mundine a chump. He does possess a lot of skill as a boxer. What let's him down is his mouth. If he kept it closed a bit more he'd probably gain a lot more respect than what he does, but I guess that's the nature of boxing!

He has no chin whatsoever, and he can't help that - I just really have little respect for him because of the fights he chooses. He's a smart business man though, he's making a mint in Australia, and he isn't getting hit hard in the head - he could end up being one of the few boxers to leave the fight game with money and his wits. Which is a lot more than can be said for Ali, Chavez or Tyson.

He has no chin whatsoever, and he can't help that - I just really have little respect for him because of the fights he chooses. He's a smart business man though, he's making a mint in Australia, and he isn't getting hit hard in the head - he could end up being one of the few boxers to leave the fight game with money and his wits. Which is a lot more than can be said for Ali, Chavez or Tyson.

Very good point. But he has had some good opponents here and there such as Green. Without a doubt if Danny could of caught him with a good one Mundine would of folded, but he was way too quick to get caught. Taylor was another good example the other night. He possesses a good punch but just no way fast enough to catch Mundine, hence result to the dirty stuff. I'm keen to see how Mundine goes overseas and to be promoted well. If he can get more of a knock out punch in his arsenal he'll go a long way. He doesn't seem to have one at the moment though but is very good at the continuous stick and move, and he does land a lot.

He was stopped once via KO to Ottke, and once via injury to Siaca. In a career now spanning well above 30 fights.

He has fought Green, Echols and Kessler, all noted punchers, and not been stopped.

Statements such as the above are a joke - "no chin whatsoever" - so I gather none of the three fighters I mentioned planted one on his chin.

I invite you to post in a boxing forum, only to watch you get FRIED with statements like this one.

He was stopped once via KO to Ottke, and once via injury to Siaca. In a career now spanning well above 30 fights.

He has fought Green, Echols and Kessler, all noted punchers, and not been stopped.

Statements such as the above are a joke - "no chin whatsoever" - so I gather none of the three fighters I mentioned planted one on his chin.

I invite you to post in a boxing forum, only to watch you get FRIED with statements like this one.

His old man never had a chin either. None of the three fighters you mentioned landed a decent punch on his chin.

He fights people that can't hit him properly.

Of those 30 fights, how many were actually against title holders or title contenders in their prime?

His old man never had a chin either. None of the three fighters you mentioned landed a decent punch on his chin.

He fights people that can't hit him properly.

Of those 30 fights, how many were actually against title holders or title contenders in their prime?

He fights people that can't hit him properly???????

So I assume that Ali was dodging fighters during the mid to late sixties, because they couldn't hit him properly? Shame on him. How dare he fight Sonny Liston, what a complete mismatch. Taking that fight just shows how poor a fighter he is, becuase LISTON CAN'T HIT HIM PROPERLY.

Stick to footy mate, boxing ain't your game.

He fights people that can't hit him properly???????

So I assume that Ali was dodging fighters during the mid to late sixties, because they couldn't hit him properly? Shame on him. How dare he fight Sonny Liston, what a complete mismatch. Taking that fight just shows how poor a fighter he is, becuase LISTON CAN'T HIT HIM PROPERLY.

Stick to footy mate, boxing ain't your game.

Sorry, but are you comparing the fighters Mundine has taken on to the ones Ali took on?

Mundine fights bums and has-beens, and the only time he fought a decent fighter in his prime he got knocked out.

I'm not sure you're capable of understanding this, but my criticism of Mundine has nothing to do with his ability or the way he fights - it has everything to do with who and where he fights.

I've been boxing for 8 years now, btw. Admittedly I don't follow boxing as much anymore, but I know a bit about it, and certainly enough to see when a fighter is prolonging his career and earning capacity by fighting people he is almost guaranteed to beat. I mean FFS Shannon the Cokehead Taylor? That guy was finished 6 years ago.

Sorry, but are you comparing the fighters Mundine has taken on to the ones Ali took on?

Mundine fights bums and has-beens, and the only time he fought a decent fighter in his prime he got knocked out.

I'm not sure you're capable of understanding this, but my criticism of Mundine has nothing to do with his ability or the way he fights - it has everything to do with who and where he fights.

I've been boxing for 8 years now, btw. Admittedly I don't follow boxing as much anymore, but I know a bit about it, and certainly enough to see when a fighter is prolonging his career and earning capacity by fighting people he is almost guaranteed to beat. I mean FFS Shannon the Cokehead Taylor? That guy was finished 6 years ago.

And it showed! Wait till he heads overseas and we'll see where he's at. I hope he doesn't fight Green again though. He's been there and done that!

I've been boxing for 8 years now, btw. How about yourself?

Actually I am currently 28 years old, and started under the guidance of the police boys gym in Sunshine (Melbourne, VIC) at 16 in 1996 whilst attending Secondary College, so that gives me 12 years or so - does that make me right? BUT that matters for nothing. I always find it funny that when people such as yourself try to point out why they are right they claim to have done something that gives them precedence. Ie. I know footy better then you because I played for twenty years - I know racing because I changed Brocky's tires etc etc etc etc.

Am I comparing Mundine and his opponents with Ali? ABSOLUTELY! Did I claim Mundine is on that level? NOT AT ALL.

The sheer fact that you claim Mundine has "no chin" leads me to one of two conclusions. You are either:

a) Lying completely

-or-

b) are a really, really bad fighter

BECAUSE no boxer worth his weight in salt believes any fighter above a tomato can has "no chin", particularly one who has fought some of the heaviest punchers in his division and defeated them. It is as weak a statement as I have ever seen.

WEAK because IF (and I mean IF) you had ever been in a ring you would no damn well that if Mundine had NO CHIN then Green, Kessler, Echols etc etc etc would have all knocked him out.

I DARE you to repeat your statement that Mundine has fought only has beens after taking a look at his record. Do it and you'll look a fool.

Mundine fought virtually all of 168lbs top dogs with the exception of Calzaghe, who REFUSED a 75-25 split in Wales for the WBO title.

You don't have to rate Mundine, but don't throw junk out there and claim it as gospel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back