BBC: Foreign Owners want to end relegation in the Premier League

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember when Garry Cook came out with that idea, and in a lot of ways I don't think his reputation ever recovered from it (he didnt help his own recovery too much to be fair).

Was a stupid idea then, is a stupid idea now.

I hope City are against the idea, I can't think of any benefit to it for us.

I remember when Garry Cook came out with that idea, and in a lot of ways I don't think his reputation ever recovered from it (he didnt help his own recovery too much to be fair).

Was a stupid idea then, is a stupid idea now.

I hope City are against the idea, I can't think of any benefit to it for us.

It'd be of no benefit to anyone. I'd have thought such a move would serve to decrease the overall value of the tv rights money that the League hands out to teams.

It's one of the best features about European football, as WC2022 said it makes the fight to avoid the bottom three just as interesting as the race for the premiership.

It would do to the championship what the VFL did to the VFA (in a way).

How stupid. It could be Leeds ticket back in though. Probably the only way they will get there.

Anyone think this seems a bit made up too? I mean besides Blackburn I can't see any of the mentioned clubs wanting/caring about relegation being axed.

I'm 36 and i can safely say that that this will never happen in my lifetime.

The idea is all about private owners securing their income stream because if they are relegated it costs them 10's of millions. Even if they get th 14/20 votes to propose the change to the rules on relegation the FA has the power to veto it, and they will. It would also have to be signed off by UEFA & FIFA and UEFA will never agree to it.

Simply hairbrain scheme to protect his own interests by Bevan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relegated teams currently get a "parachute" payment upon relegation which goes some way to compensate for the lower revenues associated with the championship.
And causes what I like to call the "West Brom effect". It is why until lately we had seen the same teams continuously bounce up and down from the CCC to the EPL and back. Recently more CCC teams came into foreign ownership or a bigger owner, thus some newer (not new to EPL but haven't been back in 5+ years) made it to the EPL.

The parachute payments only last for two seasons so you often find relegated clubs spend up (or retain their high wage earners) and have a real crack at trying to go straight back up. If they are unsuccessful, teams can find themselves in real trouble.

Anyway, the timing of this proposal could not be worse!

How stupid. It could be Leeds ticket back in though. Probably the only way they will get there.

Anyone think this seems a bit made up too? I mean besides Blackburn I can't see any of the mentioned clubs wanting/caring about relegation being axed.

Has there been any mention yet of how they would determine the teams.

Surely they can't just lock in the lucky teams at the beginning of one particular season?

But then jumping Leeds and Wednesday straight back in because of their support seems just as ridiculous?

Has there been any mention yet of how they would determine the teams.

Surely they can't just lock in the lucky teams at the beginning of one particular season?

But then jumping Leeds and Wednesday straight back in because of their support seems just as ridiculous?

Support bases would be the only way they could do it really. It all is just stupid, near impossible to do and I don't see how benefits the game at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back