BBL BBL|08 Semi-Final 1: Hobart Hurricanes v Melbourne Stars @ Blundstone Arena

Who will go through to the BBL|08 Grand Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As a salty Scorchers fan still pissy about Hobart smacking us in the finals last year, sucked in Hurricanes.

As a fan in general, FFS change the finals system. Hobart finish top after 14 rounds and get knocked out first final. What a joke.

In AFL you can win 22 home and away games PLUS a final and get knocked out the game before the final aswell.

In AFL you can win 22 home and away games PLUS a final and get knocked out the game before the final aswell.

One thing that annoys me about the AFL is when they say 'anything can happen on the day though' when talking about a side that's expected to just waltz into a GF (Richmond this year for example). It should be 'anything can happen on the days' because prelims are always elimination as well, as we saw last season.

AFL teams who finish top 4 get a double chance, top two teams in the BBL should as well, its their reward for finishing high on the ladder.

The system we have now made sense in an 8 game BBL. Not a 14 game season however.

Oh well. Hoping for an all Melbourne big final now. I wonder what would happen if that was the case. CA would love to have the game at the MCG but the Renegades would be the home team, so the game would be at Etihad?

Has already been confirmed that it will be at Marvel if that scenario were to occur

AFL teams who finish top 4 get a double chance, top two teams in the BBL should as well, its their reward for finishing high on the ladder.

The system we have now made sense in an 8 game BBL. Not a 14 game season however.

In before CA overreact and make all finals best out of 5 next season. T20 is such a fickle version of the game too, it literally takes one player to have a good one and there's not much the other team can do (Maxwell last Sunday).

In before CA overreact and make all finals best out of 5 next season. T20 is such a fickle version of the game too, it literally takes one player to have a good one and there's not much the other team can do (Maxwell last Sunday).
There is not enough advantage imo finishing 1st or 2nd in BBL in T20. Yes I know you get the home game but like you say all it takes is a player having the best game of their career to win (Wade last year vs Scorchers is a good example). I'd love the home team to have the choice to bat or bowl first up however the home teams would just doctor their pitches in response so I do think the IPL system where the top 2 teams get a second chance is the best way forward. Also this system makes it hard for a team sneaking into 4th (Thunder a couple seasons back and possibly the Stars this season) to win the whole thing.

you are conveniently ignoring the fact that AFL/NRL offers a double chance

Yeah but you lose the double chance if you win and effectively it is just a top 4 knockout in the end anyway and that’s with 18 teams, not 8.
However I do agree the bbl finals should be double chance for the top 2.

I think the top 8 finals system should go over 5 weeks.
Same match ups week 1 but the top 4 are playing for a spot in the ‘2nd Semi final’ (Which is the game that gets the winner into the GF)
In week 2, The top 4 losers play the 5-8 winners for a ‘1st Semi Final’ spot.
Those semi finals are week 3
Preliminary finals are week 4
Grand Final week 5
All top 4 teams would need to lose twice before being eliminated whilst teams 5-8 have to win 5 straight matches to win a flag.

A finals system that does not reward/recognise the whole qualification system is dreadfully flawed. What's the point of playing hard early on if a 10-4 record is only going to give you a marginal advantage over an opponent who was 7-7? If the season is extended then it makes a mockery of too many games which eventually meant nothing. This must change.

Having said that, in the last 24 days, the Hurricanes won two out of six, losing to the Sixers by 9 wickets (17 balls to spare), Strikers by 7 wickets (13 balls), Thunder 4 wickets (10 balls), Stars 6 wickets (7 balls). That is, by the finals they had come back to the field, been worked out and were very beatable. Certainly they were vulnerable batting first. Like AFL, it's not the best side, it's the best side at the right time.

The nature of T20 is that on any given day most teams can beat anybody so the home team doesn't get much of an advantage. Only 2 top placed sides have made the final in 8 years. If you are going to play that many qualifying games then they have to mean something. Hobart should get another chance, but given their form there's no certainty they'd have made the most of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CA would be pretty happy with this.....it's either now an SCG final or a Melbourne derby.

They probably won't fill whatever ground it's at, but it'll get a lot more than 12000.

They won’t fill Marvel, but it will sell out. Will make 2 sold out sporting events Sunday arvo in Melbourne

But the Gades will choke tomorrow and ruin it

Maybe the Hurricanes aren’t the best team after all. At the end of the day, T20 is about luck. They win the bat flip tonight, they win the game. Is th best team really one that can only chase? They bat first a couple more times this season and they don’t finish top

The only times they won batting first was against the rabble sides and when Faulkner was injured, they bring him back and they lose, coincidence? I don’t think so...Plus more than any other side, they rely solely on 2 players.

This tournament always drags on long enough, leave the finals as is. Some years it will help, others it will hurt. No one would be complaining if tonight’s game was reversed as it was 4 years ago...

Maybe you would like every final of every sport to be at the MCG :rolleyes:

If they were playing any of the other 6 sides it wouldn’t sell out. Stars v Renegades will sell out Marvel easily, there is about 35,000 tickets available at best for supporters, move it and it’s 75,000+

They won’t sell out the G at such short notice, but you’d get a great walk up crowd. They never expected the 80,000 they got but a perfect Sunday afternoon and I’d back in they’d get a lot more than 50,000 there, Etihad will be under 40,000 and everyone will say it was the right move...

In NFL you finish top 2 you’re out straight away if you lose your divisional round.

No doubt there’ll be reviews of both the men’s & women’s fixtures and how they can be better structured.

BBL|03 semi-final crowd at the MCG: 12,506
BBL|05 final crowd at the MCG: 47,672

Looks like no case can be made to host finals at the MCG.

BBL|03 semi-final crowd at the MCG: 12,506
BBL|05 final crowd at the MCG: 47,672

Looks like no case can be made to host finals at the MCG.

So they got more against Sydney than you can fit into Marvel and you use that as an argument for not playing a Melbourne Derby at the MCG? You do realise the Renegades have more fans in Melbourne than the Thunder don’t you? That 47,000 was also the year before they cracked the 80,000 mark for a game.

That 47,672 is also probably the record crowd for a BBL final...

Oh well. Hoping for an all Melbourne big final now. I wonder what would happen if that was the case. CA would love to have the game at the MCG but the Renegades would be the home team, so the game would be at Etihad?
So you're another one that struggles to understand how this competition works.

The highest ranked finalist earns the right to host the final. The Stars finished 4th, hence they can not be the highest ranked finalist.

Hence, any discussion of a final at the MCG just makes people sound like idiots.

So they got more against Sydney than you can fit into Marvel and you use that as an argument for not playing a Melbourne Derby at the MCG? You do realise the Renegades have more fans in Melbourne than the Thunder don’t you? That 47,000 was also the year before they cracked the 80,000 mark for a game.

That 47,672 is also probably the record crowd for a BBL final...

My argument is that the team that earns the right to host the final, should host the final and will host the final.

The final won't be at the MCG. Guess you will just have to accept that.

Back