BBL BBL 08

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Botha counts as an International because he lives here, and was playing shield cricket for a couple of years

Yes he's a local. What I meant though was their bowling depth is too thin not to get an international now with Botha gone.

George Bailey said tonight on the player mic that they will announce their second international player within the next 24 hours. I think they have likely signed a spinner (Narine?) and basically told Botha that they couldn't guarantee him a game for the rest of the tournament, so he's decided to pull the pin now.

George Bailey said tonight on the player mic that they will announce their second international player within the next 24 hours. I think they have likely signed a spinner (Narine?) and basically told Botha that they couldn't guarantee him a game for the rest of the tournament, so he's decided to pull the pin now.
They’re on such a roll I’m not sure why you’d disrupt the balance now.

Surely they'd chuck Rose out before the ever reliable Botha? Read on twitter he had back problems leading into the tournament, but if it was that bad surely he wouldn't have played much if at all? Very strange.

Surely they cut this competion back to 8 games each next season
Crowds are shite most games have been shite I've completely lost interest and there just doesn't seem to be very much hype around with the finals coming up at all

Surely they cut this competion back to 8 games each next season
Crowds are shite most games have been shite I've completely lost interest and there just doesn't seem to be very much hype around with the finals coming up at all

The finals have always been flat, whether it's school being back (let's be honest target audience for BBL crowds are kids), the final being in Canberra or ODI duty stealing all the players, I can't actually remember a season where the finals have been hyped up.

And I read somewhere that TV deals mean that the season now can't be shortened. CA really ****ed up the BBL and anyone with half a brain knew it was going to happen. Idiots.

That lights out will cost the Thunder, ******* gold!!!

Stars, Sixers and Gades need to win 2/3 remaining games and should make finals. Thunder need to win all 3, Strikers all 4.

Stars- Scorchers (a), Heat (a), Sixers (h)
Sixers- Strikers (h), Thunder (h), Stars (a)
Renegades- Scorchers (a), Thunder (h), Hurricanes (a)
Thunder- Remegades (a), Sixers (a), Hurricanes (h)
Strikers- Sixers (a), Hurricanes (a), Heat (h), Scorchers (h) AS

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's not enough passion/interest or talent for the tournament to go on for so long. I find myself just cheering on individual players, couldn't give a s**t about which franchise wins.

I'm like that with twenty20 across the board, even international twenty20.

It was mid January and people were already crapping on about how the BBL season is already to long, the other past seasons were still going at that point, the issue this season has been that the quality of games has dropped off by a fair way.

The best seasons were 4, 5 & 6. Averaging around 30k people to games. 35 games over the school holidays. The product was amazing, family friendly times, cheap tickets, great for everyone.

So what does CA do? Start to slowly raise prices. Starting times seem later. The coverage starts and the players are still warming up.

We had past greats from Australia like Ponting and Hussey playing. Superstars from overseas like Kallis and Flintoff came here. Barely any superstars have come here from overseas. We scared off the Windies players. Had a few poms this year which was good.

In the past felt like players like Warner or Starc had a few days off they played a BBL game. Now we don't want our current superstars playing BBL.

Why is the Bangladesh PL on the same time as our BBL? A lot of quality imports playing over there. The 2 comps shouldn't clash.

The pitches look slow and tough to bat on. Feels like 170 use to be the average, now teams struggle to 150.

Bowlers have got a lot better. Defensive bowling has Improved. Bringing the scores down.

Issues like light towers going out don't help either.

The season should be 8 teams, 8 games each, 4 games at home. 35 over the season. Starts the day after the final test before Christmas and ends some time between Australia Day and 1st of Feb.

Extend the squads to have 3 overseas imports.

The best seasons were 4, 5 & 6. Averaging around 30k people to games. 35 games over the school holidays. The product was amazing, family friendly times, cheap tickets, great for everyone.

So what does CA do? Start to slowly raise prices. Starting times seem later. The coverage starts and the players are still warming up.

Well, this isn't true. It's still $20 an adult and $5 a child for a ticket, which is what it was when the competition launched. Starting times are about the same, in fact, when it was on 10, once the Project started back up most games would start at 7:40 to accomodate that. Games have started at about 7.15 for the most part on 7.

It was mid January and people were already crapping on about how the BBL season is already to long, the other past seasons were still going at that point, the issue this season has been that the quality of games has dropped off by a fair way.

We had past greats from Australia like Ponting and Hussey playing. Superstars from overseas like Kallis and Flintoff came here. Barely any superstars have come here from overseas. We scared off the Windies players. Had a few poms this year which was good.

In the past felt like players like Warner or Starc had a few days off they played a BBL game. Now we don't want our current superstars playing BBL.

Why is the Bangladesh PL on the same time as our BBL? A lot of quality imports playing over there. The 2 comps shouldn't clash.

The pitches look slow and tough to bat on. Feels like 170 use to be the average, now teams struggle to 150.

Bowlers have got a lot better. Defensive bowling has Improved. Bringing the scores down.

The season should be 8 teams, 8 games each, 4 games at home. 35 over the season. Starts the day after the final test before Christmas and ends some time between Australia Day and 1st of Feb.

People were ready for the finals mid January, but they looked at the horizon and there was still no finish line in site. The fact that the amount of "no name" players has drastically increased hurts as well.

Bbl would be finished by 2nd week of January in the past. Last year it finished week after aus open. It was cooked after a week Cricket Australia have killed the golden goose

Bbl would be finished by 2nd week of January in the past
^that has not been true once:

#BBL|08 - 2018-19: Dec 19 - Feb 17
#BBL|07 - 2017-18: Dec 19 - Feb 04
#BBL|06 - 2016-17: Dec 20 - Jan 28
#BBL|05 - 2015-16: Dec 17 - Jan 24
#BBL|04 - 2014-15: Dec 18 - Jan 28
#BBL|03 - 2013-14: Dec 20 - Feb 07 (too many days with no games, and only 4 double-headers)
#BBL|02 - 2012-13: Dec 07 - Jan 19
#BBL|01 - 2011-12: Dec 16 - Jan 28

Last edited:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/32a5d7cf8b31902e9eeb77fcef98d86a

"Cricket Australia has reportedly gone into damage control talks with Big Bash broadcasters over fears of a decline in the young domestic competition.
The Australian’s Ben Horne revealed broadcasters of the Big Bash were fighting to improve the standard of the seven-week, non-stop tournament with a number of demands to Cricket Australia.

Channel 7 and Fox Cricket, which have a $175 per year investment in the competition, are reportedly wary of declining crowd numbers and want a revamped roster for the 59-game competition.

“It’s understood the TV rights holders are not arguing to reduce the number of games, but are lobbying for other dramatic changes they believe necessary to save the extended seven-week competition from withering on the vine over the course of their six-year deal,” Horne wrote.

Some of the demands include increasing the amount of international spots in each side from two to four by dramatically raising the current $1.7 million salary cap, dramatically reducing the amount of club cricketers brought in by teams."

Something that needs to be remembered here is that the Big Bash kind of needed to expand in order to validate the initial investment CA put into it. There was this rhetoric that the BBL has always been a money making machine but it in fact lost $33 million in its first 5 years under the new franchise model. Now a lot of that was start-up costs however the expanded BBL has allowed the TV rights to go from approx. $20 million a season to $60-$70 million a season (we don't know exactly as the rights are one big package with international cricket). They've got their big pay day.

However they now face the real issue that the next TV rights deal will be less than the current one and as we know a non-profit, tax-exempt organisation's biggest fear is making slightly less money. Playing less games will certainly see less money so you can rule that out as an option.

Oh and I also don't buy that the quality of the cricket is the issue. International T20s are a ridiculously higher standard than the BBL and all I hear from the masses is how boring they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back