BBL BBL 08

Remove this Banner Ad

You wanna know what's lazy, real ******* lazy? Saying that an opinion is lazy without backing up your own opinion. Having the BBL go for 2 months is a good thing. Is it? Then justify YOUR lazy opinion.

It is obvious that the ICC and Cricket Boards around the world have no idea how to schedule cricket. I can't think of any other major sport that is as incapable of sensible and consistent scheduling. That said, perhaps it could be argued that domestic and international cricket are more intertwined than most other sports and that perhaps that raises unique problems.

Australian Rules Football. Rugby League. Rugby Union. American Football. American Basketball. Ice Hockey. Baseball. Soccer. Tennis. etc. Pretty much any sport you can name has a consistent domestic and international schedule. But there is absolutely no foresight in the scheduling of all forms of cricket. Even with a Future Tours Program, the ICC still cannot schedule everyone to play everyone else home and away within 4-5 years.

There is no fairness is cricket. It's all about money, and everyone just falls in line with the BCCI (India). Just last month, India finished up a Test series in Australia. Guess who is touring Australia next year for a Test series? Yep, India are coming here again. That should not happen. That should not be allowed to happen. Maybe Hawthorn and Geelong should just play each other every 2-3 weeks, * the other teams?

I think we should do away with 5-Test series, seriously, * tradition. We used to play the West Indies in series of 5 or 6 Tests, these days it's just 2 matches. I love Test cricket but series of 6 Tests, 5 Tests and arguably 4 Tests causes problems with scheduling other teams and other forms of cricket. I'm not saying that you should not have 5 or 6 Tests, what I am saying is that every country should host two other teams each season. Rather than 5 Tests against England, play 4 Tests and then 2 against Sri Lanka/Zimbabwe. Otherwise you won't be seeing such countries tour for 6-8 years.

I don't deny that scheduling an Australian summer of cricket is not easy. A few years ago there were only 2 forms of the game, now there is 3. And when you factor in domestic and international games, you actually have 6 forms of cricket to squeeze in: T20/T20I, ODD/ODI, FC/Tests. Imagine if women were given equal billing? That would be 12 forms of cricket to schedule in a Summer.

The BBL is too long, plain and simple. I have no doubt changes will be made. I would have a look at what we moved away from, that is mixing up the forms of cricket. I'm sure Adelaide would prefer a Test match in late January that in mid-November or early- to mid-December. Do I have all the answers? Of course not. I'd just like more double-headers in the BBL, that would be a good start. And is there a rule that says two BBL games cannot be played at the same time?

Last edited:
That said, perhaps it could be argued that domestic and international cricket are more intertwined than most other sports and that perhaps that raises unique problems.
Cricket is one of the only sports where the premier competition is international, rather than league based. The second issue is one of the formats takes 5 full days rather than 3 hours. So you have the tyrannies of distance and time to consider when it comes to scheduling.

If cricket dropped the traditionalism of playing down national, and state/shire/island lines, you might see better organisation among the created league. However, you'd also start losing the better players, globally, to the richest competitions a la soccer, basketball, and ice hockey.

I'd just like more double-headers in the BBL, that would be a good start. And is there a rule that says two BBL games cannot be played at the same time?
Whilst I'm not privy to it, it might actually be in the contract between the broadcasters and CA.

I believe the former

I think what you mean was that teams struggled to attract big name internationals this year.

There's undervalued T20 cricketers out there in domestic leagues who should be getting contracts.

Considering each team plays 14 games now it should be 1v2 and 3v4 with 1 or 2 getting a second chance. Straight knockout made sense when it was just an 7/8/10 game tournament with no second chances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think what you mean was that teams struggled to attract big name internationals this year.

There's undervalued T20 cricketers out there in domestic leagues who should be getting contracts.

Yeah agree. A player like Gurney might not bring people through the gates but it improves the quality of the competition if a player like him is playing instead of a Moody, Rainbird, Mennie etc

Here is the BBL|08 schedule. The last Sheffield Shield round was December 7-10. International games are shaded yellow. Don't see why there was no BBL between Dec 11 and 18. The schedule could have been easily sped up to finish the season a week early, and that's without really trying.

BBL08-schedule.JPG

Here is the BBL|08 schedule. The last Sheffield Shield round was December 7-10. International games are shaded yellow. Don't see why there was no BBL between Dec 11 and 18. The schedule could have been easily sped up to finish the season a week early, and that's without really trying.

View attachment 618915

Dec 14 to 18 was the Perth Test, so timezone issues.

Great idea but make the normal season shorter.
It's definitely s**t that the season is so much longer but we have kept the knockout finals, it's like the finals are a mere afterthought to the group stage. Let's take forever to get through the season, but quick, let's get the finals over with asap.

In seven seasons of BBL, in regards to winning the title, the least successful position to finish has been top of the ladder. I wonder how much that stat might change if the coin toss was done away with and the home team chose if they wanted to bat or bowl first.

Last edited:
In terms of the fairness or otherwise of the finals in its current format, I'm not so sure about changing to the IPL system. Instead, I'd look at scrapping the bat flip and letting home team decide who bats first.

Last edited:
It should absolutely be the IPL system, with the season going on for that long and for Hobart ending up going out in one game with nothing to show for it, it really does feel like the whole thing has been a waste of time.

In terms of the fairness or otherwise of the finals in its current format, I'm not so sure about changing to the IPL system. Instead, I'd look at scrapping the bat flip and letting home team decide who bats first.

Lol, that’d be a joke, let them set the pitch and choose what to do, why not just make it first past the post if that’s what you want?

But if you want to eliminate the bat flip in finals, why not all season? If that’s the case, Hurricanes barely scrape into 4th this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back