BBL BBL|09 Game 44: Brisbane Heat v Melbourne Renegades @ The Gabba 19th Jan 2020 7:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think Ponting touched on it, they go out there with the attitude of: it doesn't matter if I get out because someone else will finish the job.

They should be there thinking: this partnership can win us the game if we bat well. Take the responsibility for the game upon the two batters out there in the middle.

I think Ponting touched on it, they go out there with the attitude of: it doesn't matter if I get out because someone else will finish the job.

They should be there thinking: this partnership can win us the game if we bat well. Take the responsibility for the game upon the two batters out there in the middle.

He’s right. Rather be entertainers, than cricketers.

Cheers.

Personally I find it hard to take serious. It just entertainment with blokes trying to hit 6's to me. I thought that's what is was designed for. Wickets or boundaries. :thumbsu:
I get the entertainment side, but it's still a legitimate competition where performances influence national sides. If a team doesn't want to put in some hard yards occasionally then they should be roasted.

I think most of us have called players or teams or whole clubs in various sports “an embarrassment” when really they just had a bad game or few weeks or a season.

But this absolutely qualifies. Whether or not you think 20 over games are actual cricket or just hit and giggle stuff, it’s big business and there are genuine fans of the clubs (many of them kids). Brisbane’s coaching and leadership is abysmal - and has been for years. They collapse all the time and can only play one stupid, knuckleheaded way, this is the most egregious example but there are numerous others.

As a nominal renegades follower I was mildly amused at least, but the general incompetence of it was actually fairly frustrating to watch.

I get the entertainment side, but it's still a legitimate competition where performances influence national sides. If a team doesn't want to put in some hard yards occasionally then they should be roasted.

I got no problem with them being roasted but to me it's the nature of the game. I love watching the BBL, barrack for Brisbane Heat and go to 1 game a year when my kids will take me. I prefer to go and see Lynn try and hit 6's and lose than players push for 1's and 2's and win. I thought the game was designed for big hitting so that's what I like. I am obviously wrong because many people are taking it very serious and that's fine. It just seems that it's great entertainment when they are clearing the rope but when they go out they are stupid shots.

Classic Heat. Didn't get to catch any of the collapse, I saw the wicket of Abdv and flicked back to the ODI once he was out, but I guess the fact I'm not completely astonished they went 10-36 and 7-7 facing the likes of Patel and Wildermuth says something about the reputation the Heat have. Apart from spin, it's the other reason Lynn ccontinues to be a big fish in a small pond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got no problem with them being roasted but to me it's the nature of the game. I love watching the BBL, barrack for Brisbane Heat and go to 1 game a year when my kids will take me. I prefer to go and see Lynn try and hit 6's and lose than players push for 1's and 2's and win. I thought the game was designed for big hitting so that's what I like. I am obviously wrong because many people are taking it very serious and that's fine. It just seems that it's great entertainment when they are clearing the rope but when they go out they are stupid shots.

It is more about getting a close finiish, down to the last over with say 10 or 15 to get, building up the excitement and drama. Yes, there is a plaace for hitting a few sixes, but but there should be more of hitting the ball along the ground looking for the rope - diving saves, run-outs, reviews, and that sort of thing makes for a good game. Singles only or sixes only is not a winning formula. It is not just Heat that suffer from this, Perth do it too. So frustrating to watch.

It is more about getting a close finiish, down to the last over with say 10 or 15 to get, building up the excitement and drama. Yes, there is a plaace for hitting a few sixes, but but there should be more of hitting the ball along the ground looking for the rope - diving saves, run-outs, reviews, and that sort of thing makes for a good game. Singles only or sixes only is not a winning formula. It is not just Heat that suffer from this, Perth do it too. So frustrating to watch.

I get the tactics behind the game, that it is a big business these days, people want their teams to win, and that there are better ways to win than to try and hit 6's. It's just fun going there and having balls land near you. I missed by about a foot getting a hand on a Cutting slap a couple of years back. Probably would have broke a finger. I just see it as fun and I hope Lynn doesn't change his attitude to batting. Let someone else Captain if that's what they need. I don't mind watching the Scorchers especially when Marsh is going. But I do get your point and those of ioppolo.

Agree. But why would anyone be surprised that in a Mickey Mouse game players aren’t really engaged/focused?

Two good things about that game, the 'Gades winning and Ponting shutting up McCullum when he pointed out his Bash Brother bonehead mate Lynn started the collapse :)

Two good things about that game, the 'Gades winning and Ponting shutting up McCullum when he pointed out his Bash Brother bonehead mate Lynn started the collapse :)
I dont think this one was Lynn's fault despite losing the 1st wicket. Effectively it was he and Heazlett who took the risk and then put them in what should have been an unlosable position. Seriously, it should have been unlosable. They needed about 80 runs at a run a ball with 9 wickets left, I reckon the opening pair did their exact job which was get a start and make it a controllable chase. I dont blame the openers because they did their role.

The problem then is we look at the batting order and their roles and its the de Villiars, Burns, Renshaw players, this is the steady middle order whos job it is to come in, knock a few around and finish the game. If its a big total, the late hitters in Cutting, Peirson, Patterson are there to hit the 16 off 10 balls to seal it. It shouldn't have even got to them realistically needing only a run a ball. How someone like AB could not just knock around singles for a few overs and control the rest of the innings is beyond me. Hes had a shocking start to the BBL.

The team is stupid and mentally weak, but I reckon its also the coaching that they dont know their roles in the batting line up. Its aggressive starters, steady through the middle, get the big hitting finishers in at the end. Its not complicated but Brisbane always seem to stuff up the second part.

Lynn was fine to keep playing like that. You can't on one hand applaud him that he got us into the position of 0/84 and then one ball later say its his fault. It's always easy in hindsight to say when the perfect time to settle down would have been but had he got out after 0/44 the same thing could still be said by the naysayers that we had made a good start and it was time to settle down.

This is on AB, Burns, Renshaw and to a lesser extent Pearson. Cutting copped a crap decision and the bowlers were left with no chance. The 3 international standard players in our middle order were woeful last night.

Lynn was fine to keep playing like that. You can't on one hand applaud him that he got us into the position of 0/84 and then one ball later say its his fault. It's always easy in hindsight to say when the perfect time to settle down would have been but had he got out after 0/44 the same thing could still be said by the naysayers that we had made a good start and it was time to settle down.

This is on AB, Burns, Renshaw and to a lesser extent Pearson. Cutting copped a crap decision and the bowlers were left with no chance. The 3 international standard players in our middle order were woeful last night.

Completely disagree. I'd have no issue if he played it over the off side (no one out on the boundary), but the shot was so dumb and just Mr Ego personified. You had it at run a ball (even lower), you sir the captain, you get 70 no out you win.. But no Mr Ego wants to hit every ball out of the park. The buck stops with the leader. You didn't need both openers to be brainless buffoons and throw their wicket away. It's easier for a bloke in than a guy coming in. Show some leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back