BBL BBL|09 Game 54: Sydney Thunder v Perth Scorchers @ Sydney Showgrounds 26th Jan 2020 2:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on a sec....the game from Adelaide hasn't even started yet. Why the fu** did they cut overs? They had heaps of time to get 20 overs each in before the other game started.

Cricket really treats fans like s**t sometimes.

It’s a common battle and then you have the other way where the second game (usually Perth) is delayed so the first game can go overtime...

Disappointing end for the squad we have. On paper you’d have this side comfortably ahead of the two Sydney sides in terms of talent but here we are. Still I don’t think we did too bad considering our entire starting bowling lineup changed and we lost our best batsmen over the offseason. Hopefully we can keep the same squad together, bring our bowlers back and add an extra overseas batsmen

Mind you the Scorchers haved sucked all tournament and again today. If they lose and miss finals so be it They really dont deserve to have been there anyway.
I think our NRR shows we deserve it more than the teams that are likely to make it. We’ve had plenty of games that were 50/50s right up until the last 2 overs throughout the season that we just haven’t grabbed hold of.

Definitely just making up the numbers in finals but realistically so is everyone else that aren’t the Stars and even they’ve looked shaky recently, so just being there anything could happen.

I think our NRR shows we deserve it more than the teams that are likely to make it. We’ve had plenty of games that were 50/50s right up until the last 2 overs throughout the season that we just haven’t grabbed hold of.

Definitely just making up the numbers in finals but realistically so is everyone else that aren’t the Stars and even they’ve looked shaky recently, so just being there anything could happen.

Nah. If we miss out we deserve to miss out. Would have been lucky to scrape into 4th or 5th. Seriously, over 14 games our middle order has not been up to the required standard. Top order has been OK, bowlers have been OK. The middle order have lost us many 50/50 games, not down to bad luck at all. To win a title you have to be good in all departments, we have a yawning gap that the others are trying to patch over.

Nah. If we miss out we deserve to miss out. Would have been lucky to scrape into 4th or 5th. Seriously, over 14 games our middle order has not been up to the required standard. Top order has been OK, bowlers have been OK. The middle order have lost us many 50/50 games, not down to bad luck at all. To win a title you have to be good in all departments, we have a yawning gap that the others are trying to patch over.
Yeah I agree but also think that’s true for the majority of the other teams hence why just qualifying gives you a little hope. Just about every team is relying on 3 batsmen to win them games and it’s more often than not a shootout between either sides random player that pops up for his one 30 every 3 games after being ass for the entire tournament.

Its pretty obvious to me that the scorchers need a big name player

I would go all out for a short or stoinis....and even maxwell

give them a 3/4 year deal

its the only way to compete

Stoinis already signed a 4 year deal.
Maxwell ain't leaving Melbourne.

Don't think we need a big name TBH.
Just need a few guys like Jono Wells in the middle order.

Underperforming side under Voges.

Disappointing end for the squad we have. On paper you’d have this side comfortably ahead of the two Sydney sides in terms of talent but here we are. Still I don’t think we did too bad considering our entire starting bowling lineup changed and we lost our best batsmen over the offseason. Hopefully we can keep the same squad together, bring our bowlers back and add an extra overseas batsmen
"Don't think we did too bad".

We're sitting on 6th and could go to 7th tomorrow.

I reckon the opposite. We just need all 11 players playing (and completing) their role, which was where we were so strong under JL. It’s been left to a couple of guys to carry the squad this season.

Comes down to list management and it’s been said many times already but as an example, when you have Philippe ready to go you lock him up long term so you’re not paying him mega bucks when he has a breakout year. He’d still be halfway through a low paying 3 year deal if the list managers were worth their pay cheque. Not handing contracts and games to 26+ year old club cricketers.

"Don't think we did too bad".

We're sitting on 6th and could go to 7th tomorrow.
Win 1 extra game and we’re 4th though so in comparison to everyone outside the top 3 we’ve been pretty good, albeit severely inconsistent.

You never know offer enough money and you can entice a maxwell could be the best think for him move out of the bubble in Mel and challenge himself in a different environment

Stoinis gone well go for Short offer him big bucks 3\4 year deal

The scorchers need to do something otherwise its going to the same next year and the year after that

we need star power

Win 1 extra game and we’re 4th though so in comparison to everyone outside the top 3 we’ve been pretty good, albeit severely inconsistent.
Yeah but we didn't win 1 extra game.

If you're content with us finishing last and 6th or 7th under Voges in two years, you have low expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You never know offer enough money and you can entice a maxwell could be the best think for him move out of the bubble in Mel and challenge himself in a different environment

The scorchers need to do something otherwise its going to the same next year and the year after that

we need star power
Short contracted long term as well.

It's hard to get big name interstate players to WA.
We need to keep the good ones like smarsh and CN.

Getting Behrendorff and Tye back Will help but we need middle order bats.

Green to come on and Turner to regain form would help.

Yeah but we didn't win 1 extra game.

If you're content with us finishing last and 6th or 7th under Voges in two years, you have low expectations.
Didn’t say I was happy with it but it just shows the quality of the comp that we can be this inconsistent and still be one game off finals (and arguably the best out of the teams contending for 4th) There isn’t enough players in the country for the amount of teams we have. This side on overall talent is comfortably in the top 3 but for whatever reason just can’t get it done when it matters.

The BBL is a bit meh for me anyway. Feels like they put far too much weight on what is a pretty average spectacle. There shouldn’t be 14 games each. I’ll take an odi cup and a strong showing in the shield any day

Didn’t say I was happy with it but it just shows the quality of the comp that we can be this inconsistent and still be one game off finals (and arguably the best out of the teams contending for 4th) There isn’t enough players in the country for the amount of teams we have. This side on overall talent is comfortably in the top 3 but for whatever reason just can’t get it done when it matters.

The BBL is a bit meh for me anyway. Feels like they put far too much weight on what is a pretty average spectacle. There shouldn’t be 14 games each. I’ll take an odi cup and a strong showing in the shield any day
If you think we're comfortably in the top 3 talent wise, we've really underperformed.

In all likelihood, well finish 7th.

The general public doesn't care about the Shield or state one dayers.

Last edited:

we need star power

The Scorchers have a decent list with stars in my opinion. Particularly in bowling with Richardson, Tye and Behrendorff. Missing two out of three for the entire tournament hurts.

Mitch Marsh is a very good T20 player, Inglis has elevated his game and Livingstone was a great find.

The problem has been Turner being woeful, Agar out of form and none of the 'role players' being even half good.

It's a team playing well below their ceiling

Hurricanes seem to do it, and even locals emigrate to avoid Hobart.

You can't tell me that if you offer to put someone up in a luxury apartment on the beach in Scarborough or the river in Claisebrook for 6 weeks in summer that you wouldn't get any takers.

We need to keep the good ones like smarsh and CN.

Getting Behrendorff and Tye back Will help but we need middle order bats.

Green to come on and Turner to regain form would help.

Well they leave pretty easily and we get f**k all in return.....Fawad on his last legs and bloody Patterson !! please plod plod plod

Contracts can be broken

They need to do something ...they have to target quality interstate players......they have to go for quality players from other franchises and offer them spots.....they did it to us

otherwise its going to be the same shite next year

Green has a future and lets hope we don' t lose him but its going to take a few years for him to come good in the t20 format. Turner is f* useless he will never become a champion player ...bancroft is too slow the middle order is shite

Hurricanes seem to do it, and even locals emigrate to avoid Hobart.

You can't tell me that if you offer to put someone up in a luxury apartment on the beach in Scarborough or the river in Claisebrook for 6 weeks in summer that you wouldn't get any takers.
We havent had to in the past I guess.
Always had enough home talent.

What big name interstate have Hobart got?
Short wasn't a big name when he got there.

And Tassie isn't that far from Melbourne.

The Scorchers have a decent list with stars in my opinion. Particularly in bowling with Richardson, Tye and Behrendorff. Missing two out of three for the entire tournament hurts.

Mitch Marsh is a very good T20 player, Inglis has elevated his game and Livingstone was a great find.

The problem has been Turner being woeful, Agar out of form and none of the 'role players' being even half good.

It's a team playing well below their ceiling
Is M Marsh that good in t20s though? Seems to struggle to think things through. I think overall our side is just too one dimensional and isn’t agile enough to deal with different game situations

Well they leave pretty easily and we get f**k all in return.....Fawad on his last legs and bloody Patterson !! please plod plod plod

Contracts can be broken

They need to do something ...they have to target quality interstate players......they have to go for quality players from other franchises and offer them spots.....they did it to us

otherwise its going to be the same shite next year

Green has a future and lets hope we don' t lose him but its going to take a few years for him to come good in the t20 format. Turner is f* useless he will never become a champion player ...bancroft is too slow the middle order is shite
It's all turned to s**t under Voges.

I bet you weren't screaming for interstate players under Langer.
Our bowling line up is pretty good.
Have two good openers plus MM.

We just need another bat and a decent coach I reckon.

Is M Marsh that good in t20s though? Seems to struggle to think things through. I think overall our side is just too one dimensional and isn’t agile enough to deal with different game situations

Averages 31 with the bat striking at 125, and is a passable/average bowler capable of being a 5th option. That's pretty decent for the role he plays

Averages 31 with the bat striking at 125, and is a passable/average bowler capable of being a 5th option. That's pretty decent for the role he plays
Is that for the season or career? His 90-odd inflated things somewhat. He’s certainly a decent player but feel he was overrated this year after that one innings.

still if he and Turner were in the sort of form they’d both shown in previous years, we’d no doubt be playing finals next week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back