BBL BBL|09 Game 58 "The Qualifier": Melbourne Stars v Sydney Sixers @ MCG 31st Jan 2020 7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the new finals format. The Stars had a bad game finishing first and they get another chance, but it cost them hosting rights of the final. The second chance for the top finishing teams is one of my favourite things about the AFL and I'm glad its carried over to BBL.
Agreed. Watching the Stars lose two finals will be better than just one.

I do find it amusing how much angst the equal least successful side in the BBL gets.
Might have something to do with the fact that they talk themselves up every year but never back it up when it counts (Brisbane in the same boat).. have some of the best international limited overs players on their list, which they then use as an excuse when Odis and iT20s come around (despite just about every other club losing their best players as well).. before gaining them back for finals most years and still finding a way to s*** the bed.

Then on top of that the finals format (which I’ve wanted changed from the beginning) actually benefits them and finally there’s Eddie running the show (probably with his finger in the rest of the running of the comp as well). Just the typical big showy Vic club, Essendon, Collingwood, pre 2017 Richmond that everyone else loves to have a laugh at.

Last edited:
Tbh the sixers went in slight faves and on paper looked very strong with hazlewood, smith and lyon all returning. Yes, it was a pretty meek capitulation by the stars chasing a par score but the result itself wasn't unexpected. I don't follow the bbl closely but it seems like teams line up very differently every season come finals time with players departing/returning from int fixtures

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They dropped a bit after losing Shaun Abbott to injury.There bowling just looks so strong. Striker's v Thunder will be a cracker of a game.

They also gain Smith, Lyon and Hazlewood although I think HazeLeo’s may have played

I dont think the likes of Smith, Lyon and Hazelwood should be playing.

It reeks of blowins just playing to win finals.
A VFL style elegiblity rule is needed.
VFL is 1/3 of the games, so maybe 5 games?

and once again when the collapse is on Maxi continues to stuff up and get out

frontrunner of the hightest order atm....needs to stand up when the pressure is on !!!

I dont think the likes of Smith, Lyon and Hazelwood should be playing.

It reeks of blowins just playing to win finals.
A VFL style elegiblity rule is needed.
Most Vic fans were complaining that Maxwell didn't head to India, from which they benefited. More with Stoinis etc.

Why shouldn't Sydney benefit from the availability of their star names? I get your point re: eligibility but I'd have been spewing had Perth made the finals, Tye had done his rehab work and become available, only for us not to be able to select him.

CA really need to ensure all Australian players are available for the whole BBL. The standard of the tournament would rise significantly.

On SOK, cricket pure talent whose international career was destroyed by own poor discipline and others unfair prejudice.

what's your solution for rescheduling our International summer (Tests, ODIs, T20I)? it's easier said than done.
Well, yeah. That's why these guys get paid big bucks.

Shortening the season would be a good start, would limit the window you'd have to create.

what's your solution for rescheduling our International summer (Tests, ODIs, T20I)? it's easier said than done.
Something like this maybe?

November: ODI series
Late November - early January - test series
early January - early February - BBL

I'd get rid of international T20s as they're largely pointless.

CA have over-saturated the BBL. 14 games for each team is far too many and, compiled with the awful standard, and it's no wonder interest is waning. Go back to the original system of 8 games plus 4 finals and, therefore, it should only last a bit over a month with all of the best Australian players available to increase the quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back