BBL crowds 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

And that puts the Scorchers home average at 26,490 for the regular season. Let’s see what they can get for the finals.
Just got my tickets for the Qualifier.

I had to wait in an online queue before getting access, and the only seats available were in the alcohol-free section. I passed on that because it's in the bit most affected by the sun and I'm taking my two young kids. So we're on level 5, general admission.

Expect a very big crowd on Saturday.

Just got my tickets for the Qualifier.

I had to wait in an online queue before getting access, and the only seats available were in the alcohol-free section. I passed on that because it's in the bit most affected by the sun and I'm taking my two young kids. So we're on level 5, general admission.

Expect a very big crowd on Saturday.
You're not going to like this but getting 42k across 5 days to a Test match and 25k to an Australia World Cup game but getting 45k to the Scorchies is Perth in a nut shell.

You're not going to like this but getting 42k across 5 days to a Test match and 25k to an Australia World Cup game but getting 45k to the Scorchies is Perth in a nut shell.
It's amazing how many people you can get with a favourable schedule, yes, I agree.

Tests are on weekdays, logically on the weekdays they should be getting a big fat 0 going to their games as people should be at work and I'll happily apply this logic to every state. Like honestly swear it's just a massive illogical beat up, who's taking leave to go to the cricket? (Huge opportunity cost to pay as well).

As for the national team, you'd think a few more WA players would be involved considering they just finished first but that doesn't seem to be the case... my wife is fully getting into BBL last year and has bought merch and all, so innocently asked why WA's representation is so low all things considering and well, I couldn't answer her - and she doesn't seem to care much for them as a result. They just seem a bit meh to her, her logic has been they're no good, and don't want to use players from one of BBL's best teams so who cares.

Tests are on weekdays, logically on the weekdays they should be getting a big fat 0 going to their games as people should be at work and I'll happily apply this logic to every state. Like honestly swear it's just a massive illogical beat up, who's taking leave to go to the cricket? (Huge opportunity cost to pay as well).

As for the national team, you'd think a few more WA players would be involved considering they just finished first but that doesn't seem to be the case... my wife is fully getting into BBL last year and has bought merch and all, so innocently asked why WA's representation is so low all things considering and well, I couldn't answer her - and she doesn't seem to care much for them as a result. They just seem a bit meh to her, her logic has been they're no good, and don't want to use players from one of BBL's best teams so who cares.
The Perth comment wasnt greatly thought out and was pretty tongue in cheek so I take it back. It does probably show more that crowds in this country are mostly dictated by the time of the year the matches are played rather than the quality of said match.

But your comment sort of goes to my overarching point that alot of WA prefers WA to Australia.

Your wifes point a perfect example of always seeing WA as hard done by. Agar, M. Marsh, Green, Inglis in the World Cup squad. Stoinis and David also WA boys. Now count how many there are from the other dominate squad of the BBL. There's never any complaints about the lack of Sixers in the Australian side though because no one rates those players as they play for a Sydney team and NSW are always favoured or something.

Edit: what's interesting is I find myself always talking the Scorchers up when talking to people irl. I even own a Scorchers shirt and if I had to pick a team in the BBL it would be the Scorchers. I think its because of how far I find it goes the other way on this board that I talk them down a bit on here.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attendance summary for the h&a season

Aggregate by team
Scorchers 185,431
Strikers 147,736
Sixers 119,896
Heat 116,891
Stars 114,237
Renegades 83,770
Thunder 73,821
Hurricanes 49,479

Average by ground
Optus Stadium (7) 26,490
Adelaide Oval (7) 21,105
Sydney Cricket Ground (5) 20,387
The Gabba (5) 19,122
Melbourne Cricket Ground (6) 18,423
Metricon Stadium (1) 14,575
Marvel Stadium (5) 12,908
Sydney Showground Stadium (4) 11,644
Lavington Sports Ground (1) 10,171
GMHBA Stadium (2) 9,614
C.ex Coffs International Stadium (1) 9,576
Manuka Oval (2) 8,537
North Sydney Oval (1) 8,384
Blundstone Arena (5) 7,863
Cazalys Stadium (1) 6,708
UTAS Stadium (2) 5,082
CitiPower Centre (1) 3,697

Attendance summary for the h&a season

Average by ground
Optus Stadium (7) 26,490
Adelaide Oval (7) 21,105
Sydney Cricket Ground (5) 20,387
The Gabba (5) 19,122
Melbourne Cricket Ground (6) 18,423

Marvel Stadium (5) 12,908
Sydney Showground Stadium (4) 11,644
Blundstone Arena (5) 7,863

Excluding the regional games, Renegades, Thunder and Hurricanes are the under achievers home ground averages. Especially with Melbourne and Sydney both getting to host a derby.

But if crowds at those last three grounds can lift by 50% each next season, and the rest of the teams hold steady, I would say BBL crowds are healthy.

Excluding the regional games, Renegades, Thunder and Hurricanes are the under achievers home ground averages. Especially with Melbourne and Sydney both getting to host a derby.

But if crowds at those last three grounds can lift by 50% each next season, and the rest of the teams hold steady, I would say BBL crowds are healthy.

31,000 a game in Melbourne and Sydney, what’s wrong with that?

If they had only one team they’d be smashing the other one team states…

If the three teams I mentioned had crowds 50% bigger, it SHOULD silence those who complain about the ‘decline of the BBL’ as a league. Although that would probably still not be good enough.
From looking at the average & my % calculation average, the regular season had an average crowd around 15.8k & an average capacity % of 42.2%. So it’s not too bad.

I think if the Stars did better then the crowds would improve but all the teams with big grounds had good averages. Maybe except Renegades.

Optus 43%, SCG 42%, AO 40%, Gabba 53%, Sydney Showgrounds 47%, Blundstone 40%, Marvel 22%,

MCG 18.5% but it’s an outlier.

If you want comparison, MCG average with Marvel capacity would be 33% so I would say MCG’s average is kind of okay.

Last edited:
Could very well top the one million mark should the last three games draw big numbers through the gates.
The match at the Sydney Showground Stadium that was won by Brisbane Heat over the Sydney Thunder on the Duckworth–Lewis System hasn't had an attendance posted yet but of the 57 matches where figures have been posted (out of the 58), they are currently sitting at 932,451 at average of 16,358.

I'm sure the pampered fans in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide would happily turn out in droves to a November Test that started on a Wednesday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back