BBL Match 22; Scorchers v Renegades @ Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Victoria has 5.8 million people, WA has 2.6 million. The talent in Victoria should be much more plentiful. Let's not compare either state to Tasmania

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Do you really think that there are a ton of professional-standard cricketers out there in Melbourne grade waiting for selection?

Let's be honest - one-team towns definitely get a huge advantage from being able to build their teams around the core of their year-round state setup. Obviously there's more to the Scorchers' success than that, but it's no small thing.

Do you really think that there are a ton of professional-standard cricketers out there in Melbourne grade waiting for selection?

Let's be honest - one-team towns definitely get a huge advantage from being able to build their teams around the core of their year-round state setup. Obviously there's more to the Scorchers' success than that, but it's no small thing.
There should be proportionally as many quality grade cricketers in Victoria as there are in WA all other development pathways being equal.

The machine should be over twice the size of the WACA program with over twice the talent.

The Renegades are coached by the bushrangers coach so that's the same. Finch, Harris and White are all together. The likes of Christian, Ahmed, Muirhead, Siddle aren't playing at the Stars so they represent passed over or missed chances to have seven of the 11 from the bushrangers.

Tom Cooper, Ludeman - SA (albeit rejects)
Richardson -SA
Wildermuth -QLD

Where the option to take a cheaper lower level talent was, they poached established from elsewhere and it costs them the chances at retaining the other bushrangers. The scorchers make retention a priority and fill the spaces left with lesser known players.

The likes of David who had a contribution in the last two games at the WACA isn't on the shield squad at the warriors this year. But Stoinis, Short and Wells are - they would be handy but I guess we lost out on those.

The Stars suffered early because their talent was ripped out to play higher up and those who filled in weren't up to it, the renegades used to be all finch or bust. Both are signs of squads that don't have the depth and as I've said before I think the culture is to scrape off the top from everywhere rather than look deeper in Vic cricket.

Hogg lost the plot last night.
someone forgot to tell him it was a competitive game of cricket and not his testimonial.

that said catches go down all the time (just ask the Scorchers) and bowlers bowl bad balls when under pressure...the only thing was that Hogg brought most of the pressure on himself.
i dont think he'll be feeling too good this morning.

anyway we lost for whatever reason and its time to move on to the next game. Scorchers are a quality unit.

Concerned about Jhye Richardson's last 2 games for us - he's been absolutely tonked to all parts.

Good for us that's he's off to the Aus ODI setup - bad for Aus cricket fans (myself included) if he keeps bowling trash.

Concerned about Jhye Richardson's last 2 games for us - he's been absolutely tonked to all parts.

Good for us that's he's off to the Aus ODI setup - bad for Aus cricket fans (myself included) if he keeps bowling trash.
i think the selectors may have got him confused with Kane.

I was at the game last night, so never bothered looking at this thread. I just read through 27 pages of people taking it in turns to melt down.

What a great night out that was. Hogg was fielding in front of us. I loved him when he played for us. I love him even more now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There should be proportionally as many quality grade cricketers in Victoria as there are in WA all other development pathways being equal.

The machine should be over twice the size of the WACA program with over twice the talent.

The Renegades are coached by the bushrangers coach so that's the same. Finch, Harris and White are all together. The likes of Christian, Ahmed, Muirhead, Siddle aren't playing at the Stars so they represent passed over or missed chances to have seven of the 11 from the bushrangers.

Tom Cooper, Ludeman - SA (albeit rejects)
Richardson -SA
Wildermuth -QLD

Where the option to take a cheaper lower level talent was, they poached established from elsewhere and it costs them the chances at retaining the other bushrangers. The scorchers make retention a priority and fill the spaces left with lesser known players.

The likes of David who had a contribution in the last two games at the WACA isn't on the shield squad at the warriors this year. But Stoinis, Short and Wells are - they would be handy but I guess we lost out on those.

The Stars suffered early because their talent was ripped out to play higher up and those who filled in weren't up to it, the renegades used to be all finch or bust. Both are signs of squads that don't have the depth and as I've said before I think the culture is to scrape off the top from everywhere rather than look deeper in Vic cricket.

This kind of Proportional thinking would mean India has 40 Steve Smith level players and we should never even come close to beating them ever on any surface.

This kind of Proportional thinking would mean India has 40 Steve Smith level players and we should never even come close to beating them ever on any surface.
Does most of Victoria live in a slum?

If India invested per capita what Australia does they would have more than just the highest run scorer in test match cricket and a sprinkling of other 7500 plus run scorers.

If India invested per capita what Australia does they would have more than just the highest run scorer in test match cricket and a sprinkling of other 7500 plus run scorers.

Victoria suffers from footy taking a lot of talented cricketers. Who wouldn’t choose footy, better money and far better chances. Over 100 players drafted each year and about 800 spots on AFL lists compares to 20 on a state list and really only 1-2 new additions in a season and a lot more effort required to make first class level than AFL

Victoria suffers from footy taking a lot of talented cricketers. Who wouldn’t choose footy, better money and far better chances. Over 100 players drafted each year and about 800 spots on AFL lists compares to 20 on a state list and really only 1-2 new additions in a season and a lot more effort required to make first class level than AFL
Will Sutherland, Mitch Marsh, Alex Keath originally picked cricket over footy.

The best still find their way to their sport.

India is cricket, huge gap, hockey. If they had money like we do they would dominate

We also worship football in WA and have 3 players in the Test team!

Could just about guarantee you though that there'd be some undervalued players going around in Melbourne grade cricket, out of "the system" because their skills are not seen to be successful in longer forms but have points of difference that could see them become quite successful. Think the likes of Tye, Simmonds, Short etc.

In comparison with Sydney, yes. But otherwise that's a bit tenous, footy is huge in Perth & Adelaide and I suppose in Hobart/Tas too.

Will Sutherland, Mitch Marsh, Alex Keath originally picked cricket over footy.

The best still find their way to their sport.

India is cricket, huge gap, hockey. If they had money like we do they would dominate

India has money, some of the richest people on the planet are from there.

Problem is the wealth isnt even close to being evenly distributed.

Invested? Our local junior comp was run by the players paying X dollars each and 2 old guys using those funds to provide a new ball every 2nd match and we paid for our own gear, nobody donated us jack s**t.

And 99% of our talent goes to football over cricket, India is just cricket. My point was if you are going to basis population for depth of quality you are making a mistake.

Invested? Our local junior comp was run by the players paying X dollars each and 2 old guys using those funds to provide a new ball every 2nd match and we paid for our own gear, nobody donated us jack s**t.

And 99% of our talent goes to football over cricket, India is just cricket. My point was if you are going to basis population for depth of quality you are making a mistake.
And mine is that if the Indian population didn't almost entirely live below the standard of the lowest in Victoria they would have a side of stars

Remove this Banner Ad

Back