BBL Match 30; Stars v Sixers @ Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Too early?:
wVKDgI3.jpg
Lol,the Richmond supporter myth started by Mario the Demon,pretend Tiger.

Thank God I missed the end,what a torture chamber of a game.

He's still very raw, but there's a bit of ability there. Worth persisting with.
This, he’s a 21 year old leggie, very rare for a spinner to be the complete package at that age

Teams of prima donas just simply don't win T20 competitions. It has been proven over and over again (including by the entire history of that mob).
They seem to bat with the attitude it doesn't matter if they get out there's somone else waiting to bat who will just walk in and finish the job. But so often they do that and lose momentum instead, turning a promising position into a meh position. Whenever I have seen them bay first I always feel they should have got more.

They seem to bat with the attitude it doesn't matter if they get out there's somone else waiting to bat who will just walk in and finish the job. But so often they do that and lose momentum instead, turning a promising position into a meh position. Whenever I have seen them bay first I always feel they should have got more.

Yep, you're spot on - they've got very deep-seated cultural and attitudinal problems in that franchise. As well as beyond just the immediate playing group, it's also evident among their more prominent supporters (like Warne, who implies at the start of every season that they more or less just have to turn up to win the competition) as well.

It has been the same story for a long time, though, and yet they never seem to be able to recognise or address their issues.

Pietersen and Wright are presumably not going to be around again, but there should be a much wider cleanout and huge cultural changes this off-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe a new coaching group with a different philosophy?

I don't know ... I'd have thought Stephen Fleming would be the least of their problems TBH. He has traditionally been very smart, with excellent knowledge of the game and tactics. He may have lost his touch, though. IMO, 'one of the boys' people like D Hussey are probably more of an issue on the coaching staff. I assume he's still doing it ... and, if he is, I'd ask Damien Fleming to leave his Chairman of Selectors role, too. Or whoever else it is who selects their imports, and/or whoever recruits the string of older players they (continually wrongly) take from other teams. If it were up to me, I'd also put an immediate end to the presence of the various celebrities there have been on their bench through the years. Nothing against the individuals themselves at all - but, whether it has been Viv Richards or Andy Lee or others, that stuff seems like a bit of a circus and I'd be stunned if them being there actually helps the focus of the XI on match days?

I'd also delist several of their players, too. Would start by dismantling their current bowling lineup, although they've got some serial underperformers with the bat as well. (As you say, they also suffer from shocking batting tactics and errors, especially the needless loss of wickets at bad times in almost every match, with Maxwell probably the most regular culprit as far as that goes. They put far too much faith in him IMO, relative to how much he actually delivers and achieves for them.) Their pace bowling lineup and execution are horrible and probably their worst problem, and need a complete makeover. For years, they've invested too much hope in players like Hastings, Boland and McKay etc, who just aren't suited long-term to T20.

No idea if this is correct or not. But it has also always at least looked to me that quite a few of their players are more attracted to the idea of trying to be showmen and flashy entertainers than to knuckling down and consistently playing good, tough, ultra-professional T20 cricket.

But, having said all of that, I'm not a Stars supporter at all. So my assessments might well be completely off the mark, mainly out of a lack of any real interest in or concern for them. In any case, too, I'm perfectly happy for them to keep going down the same path they've forever been on; that has been great and would continue to be great. :)

Last edited:
How bad was Maxwell's take on the pitch during his post-innings interview? Made it sound like it was an absolute mine field

Was doing a bit early in the sixes innings, Worrall beat the edge numerous times. Stars bowling lineup is just extremely average.

Was doing a bit early in the sixes innings, Worrall beat the edge numerous times. Stars bowling lineup is just extremely average.
Yep new ball moved a little but overall it was a beautiful limited overs deck. Maxwell made it sound it was seaming at right angles.

Yep new ball moved a little but overall it was a beautiful limited overs deck. Maxwell made it sound it was seaming at right angles.

It was far from a beautiful limited overs pitch in the it was uneven. Multiple people including Adam Gilchrist and Brendan McCullum made mention of that. Corrugations in a pitch will make things difficult...having said that the was not the reason the Stars got belted or is it the reason they are having a woeful season

It was far from a beautiful limited overs pitch in the it was uneven. Multiple people including Adam Gilchrist and Brendan McCullum made mention of that. Corrugations in a pitch will make things difficult...having said that the was not the reason the Stars got belted or is it the reason they are having a woeful season
Think you might be confusing a "beautiful limited overs pitch" with a "four lane highway". Nothing wrong with the deck having a little bit in it for the new ball bowlers, that's a good thing. On the whole there was nothing at all wrong with that deck last night, as shown by the Sixers cruisey run chase.

Think you might be confusing a "beautiful limited overs pitch" with a "four lane highway". Nothing wrong with the deck having a little bit in it for the new ball bowlers, that's a good thing. On the whole there was nothing at all wrong with that deck last night, as shown by the Sixers cruisey run chase.

Mate I'm a bowler so am happy for pitches to have a bit in them but being uneven and wavey shouldn't happen.

Happy to disagree with you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back