BBL Match 51 Adelaide Strikers v Melbourne Stars @ Adelaide Oval Sat 15 Jan 1010 ACDT

Who will win?

• Adelaide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PAFCsince1870

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
So despite Mark Waugh's rambling nonsense about ODI commitments as far as I can tell all Australian players will be available for the conclusion of the BBL with no international cricket until the very end of January?

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
So despite Mark Waugh's rambling nonsense about ODI commitments as far as I can tell all Australian players will be available for the conclusion of the BBL with no international cricket until the very end of January?

Yeah fairly sure they're available

Head has already had Covid too so no need to isolate at all ;)

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
If strikers play finals, I’d be dropping Weatherald for head and Renshaw for Hunt and probably poor Nielsen will go too, he does have his moments of occasional brilliance with the oven mits but Carey’s batting trumps this

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
If strikers play finals, I’d be dropping Weatherald for head and Renshaw for Hunt and probably poor Nielsen will go too, he does have his moments of occasional brilliance with the oven mits but Carey’s batting trumps this
IMO this is the stupidest thing about the BBL season. 8 weeks of watching players and them working hard to make/play finals and their ladder position, and when the games actually matters half the Aussie test squad is going to waltz in without a minute of contribution and take peoples places, so much so that teams nowhere near it will suddenly be genuine threats.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
IMO this is the stupidest thing about the BBL season. 8 weeks of watching players and them working hard to make/play finals and their ladder position, and when the games actually matters half the Aussie test squad is going to waltz in without a minute of contribution and take peoples places, so much so that teams nowhere near it will suddenly be genuine threats.

To be fair the Strikers probably spend a minimum of 1/3rd of their cap on those 2 (plus probably 1/3 on Rashid) so I think it's fair game that they can play. Not ideal though I agree.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
To be fair the Strikers probably spend a minimum of 1/3rd of their cap on those 2 (plus probably 1/3 on Rashid) so I think it's fair game that they can play. Not ideal though I agree.
It's not a Strikers specific thing, it's a league problem. I believe Sixers are the same with Lyon, Smith and is it Starc?

Not sure how it applies to other teams but I'm sure there would be examples.

There's a pretty simple rule that junior sport leagues sometimes use, if you don't play X amount of games in the season, and you weren't missing due to injury, you don't play finals. The BBL could adapt it that if you are unavailable due to international cricket, you can't then just play BBL finals without having played in the season for your team.

That at least would protect the integrity of the season and mean the actual outcome of it means something. Head and Carey turn the 5th place side into a very different prospect. Lyon, Smith and Starc potentially make the Sixers unbackable favourites. Is Warner, Hazelwood, Boland, Labuschange, Cummins, etc linked to anyone? Those guys could completely change the fortunes of a playing XI, it makes the actual season playing XI results kind of meaningless.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
It's not a Strikers specific thing, it's a league problem. I believe Sixers are the same with Lyon, Smith and is it Starc?

Not sure how it applies to other teams but I'm sure there would be examples.

There's a pretty simple rule that junior sport leagues sometimes use, if you don't play X amount of games in the season, and you weren't missing due to injury, you don't play finals. The BBL could adapt it that if you are unavailable due to international cricket, you can't then just play BBL finals without having played in the season for your team.

That at least would protect the integrity of the season and mean the actual outcome of it means something. Head and Carey turn the 5th place side into a very different prospect. Lyon, Smith and Starc potentially make the Sixers unbackable favourites. Is Warner, Hazelwood, Boland, Labuschange, Cummins, etc linked to anyone? Those guys could completely change the fortunes of a playing XI, it makes the actual season playing XI results kind of meaningless.

The only test player the Sixers have this season is Nathan Lyon.

Boland is a Hurricane, think he's played a game or two this season.
Labuschagne is Heat but the rest are unaffiliated.

Doubt CA introduce any rules like that, if the best players are available then they want them playing. Nothing will be as farcical as Brendon McCullum playing the final for NSW back in the day.

Back